PDA

View Full Version : Input on two saber designs

Nineteen
12-31-2009, 02:37 PM
So here are two saber designs that I came up with. One is for my dad, and one is for my mom. The first saber is 12 inches long, and the second is 10 inches. All feedback is appreciated.

For my dad:

1.5" sink tube extender(has flange on the end)
Rubber T-grips
MHS to 1.5" sink tube adapter with Solar Flat Black powder coating
Choke 1 short with Copper Jacket Metallic powder coating
Silver thumbscrew
Blade holder 14 with Solar Flat Black powder coating
Hasbro economy sound board with Seoul P4 Red

http://nineteen99.webs.com/saber2.bmp

For my mom:

5 inch extension piece with switch and grooves with US Blue power coating
Blade holder 13
Pommel 6
Choke 3
Chrome sink tube shroud
Silver thumbscrew
2 blue O-rings on the emitter
Hasbro economy sound board with Seoul P4 white and yellow TCSS filter

http://nineteen99.webs.com/saber4.bmp

Shadar Al'Niende
12-31-2009, 02:47 PM
i would uncheck the "show threads" option thingie or w/e its called on the MHS builder, makes your hilts prettier

also i would just get a DF section the size that you want and have Tim do the grooves in them just like he does for the piece you are using.

Crystal Chambers
12-31-2009, 02:56 PM
Off to a good start. hehe momma & poppa sabers. Because of this I'd be tempted to make them very similar yet manly or fem if that's really possible but you get the idea and seem to be going that way.

not sure why you'd have the retention screw on the side.

A shroud(s) on the blade holder(s) could carry over the overlay style and make it look less MHS-ish.

Nineteen
12-31-2009, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the replies, guys. I changed the location of the thumbscrew, I have no idea what I was thinking. :) I also added some powder coating options to both sabers. They seemed a little bland, and I think this adds a nice touch.\

UPDATE: Shortened the second saber, assuming Tim would do the custom machine work. This one will cost me a pretty penny, that's for sure. :)

cardcollector
01-02-2010, 08:49 AM
I would let mom and dad design the saber base themselves. THat way you can see the style and basic length they want...

then you can surprise them with an overlay addition or a chrystal chamber, etc.

I really think the mom saber should have a little chrystal ahmber in the choke. It would be really easy and add so much to it.

I don't like the blue powdercoating,,, It makes it look like a piece of candy.

Kal El Rah
01-02-2010, 04:06 PM
I like both of them, but yeah for your mom, make it more feminine unless she likes blue.;):cool:

Jedi-Loreen
01-02-2010, 11:54 PM
Just don't do pink, please. :rolleyes:

Unless she really really likes that color.

gundamaniac
01-03-2010, 12:22 AM
I'm really digging the second saber. It's a nice combination of MHS parts (love that choke/emitter combo). It looks really nice, especially with that overlay. Only thing I would change is maybe getting a black button instead of a red button.

Nineteen
01-03-2010, 12:32 PM
I would let my parents design the sabers themselves, but I want this to be a pure surprise. My mom's two favorite colors are blue and silver(my parent's wedding was in those colors), so that's what I was going for in her saber. Plus, it's smaller, and has a lot of curves and looks elegant. I'm even considering trading out the thumbscrew for an allen screw.

Shadar Al'Niende
01-03-2010, 12:36 PM
i think using a flush-sitting set screw would indeed help with the slim elegant look of your moms saber. I would mount the switch with a bezel as well so that it looks a little cleaner..

Ingchao
01-03-2010, 01:08 PM
I'm not a big fan of those switches. While those switches are cost effective, your designs deserve much better. Those sabers are very nice.
I would go with guarded switches.