PDA

View Full Version : My new MHS/Sink tube-based saber

DarthSerious
12-31-2009, 10:00 AM
Hi,

Here is my 3rd saber that I have just finished. It is a stunt saber (no-sound) and has the following spec:

Luxeon III Red
4x AAA Nimh batt
Recharge port
kill switch setting
Anti-vandal red illuminated switch
Covertec clip
A led holder - placeholder for future blinking accent led
Hilt length: 12 5/8 inch
Blade length: 36 inch total
Rough brass tube overlay with 32 degree angle cutt (choke end)

Time to build: 7-8 hours

The blade is surprisingly very bright for a 3w red if I compare with an "old" UltraSaber I bought for my son when I started being interested in sabers. This last saber was supposed to have an accent led but for some reason the led that I bought for the holder did not fit, so I might upgrade it later, just can't let an unfinished saber on the table ;) Therefore I have just put the holder to fill the hole.

Had a lot of pleasure working this one but god help me, this hobby is very expensive... I don't know if I can continue building sabers for my own at the same pace. We'll see.

Here are the pics:

http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab123/JesterHammer/3rd_Hilt_Off.jpg

http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab123/JesterHammer/3rd_Hilt_On.jpg

http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab123/JesterHammer/3rd_Full_On.jpg

I'd like to thank Jay Gon for sharing all his stuff with us in this forum. As you can see, I used a lot his ideas in this saber. His designs are awesome.

-DS

Nineteen
12-31-2009, 10:05 AM
Very nice. I love the brass collar...thing you have there below the choke. My only suggestion would be to change out the red thumbscrew for a silver one. though that's my personal bias since I've never liked the red thumbscrew anyway. :P

Great saber, and keep 'em coming!

Crystal Chambers
12-31-2009, 10:24 AM
good job. looks nice...I'm guessing you drilled the holes without assembling the hilt with the heatsink in as well. I made that mistake myself before.

I also had the same initial problem with a led and holder but realized the led is placed from below so the only thing holding it up in the holder is the rubber insert. If this is the case just put the rubber piece on the led and feed it up the bottom of the holder.

I hate to steer business away from TCSS but you can always use more sinktube in your future builds to lower the price. Also making your own blades with TCSS parts may save you a few dollars as well. It looks to me like your using a tube diffuser. I personnally like the look of them but with a sanded blade the light would come closer to the outer edge and a few feet of giftwrap would spread light more evenly through the length.

Count Malik
12-31-2009, 10:36 AM
awsome saber:D

DarthSerious
12-31-2009, 10:53 AM
Gosh! I can't believe I missed that rubber thing underneath the led holder. I was trying to insert it from the top.

Thanks for the tip!
-DS

Crystal Chambers
12-31-2009, 10:57 AM
no prob...it'll look low in the holder and I wasn't sure if I did it right at first but it'll light up really well.

DarthSerious
01-01-2010, 06:49 AM
I can't plug the kill switch (the TCSS one) within the recharge port of the saber. Much too tight... Is it normal? The jack comes from TCSS too.

thanks
-DS

DarthSerious
01-01-2010, 06:52 AM
After a few hilts, I still have a hard time to figure out how you can cram a soundboard and a speaker setup in such a limited space. I have quite a hard time putting the rech. port an accent led, a big switch and 4 batteries in it...

-DS

Nineteen
01-01-2010, 11:54 AM
For your killswitch question, try sanding down the plug. It's common for the plugs to be a little big, so just sand it down until you can get it in and out with relative ease. The plug should still be able to flip the switch in the port, so make sure you don't sand it down too far.

Jedi-Loreen
01-01-2010, 12:06 PM
What rubber insert thing that goes under the LED holder are you talking about? :confused:

Most sound boards can't fit inside the ribbed extension, so on some sabers, that's essentially "wasted space".

Kal El Rah
01-01-2010, 03:11 PM
Looking great.:p

Jay-gon Jinn
01-01-2010, 11:27 PM
What rubber insert thing that goes under the LED holder are you talking about? :confused:

Most sound boards can't fit inside the ribbed extension, so on some sabers, that's essentially "wasted space".

I always put the soundboards in the ribbed extensions on the sabers I build....MR's, Ultrasound's, CF's....not sure what soundboards you're referring to J-Lo?

DarthSerious, good looking saber! It does look a bit familiar.... ;)

Jedi-Loreen
01-01-2010, 11:55 PM
Maybe I was thinking of battery packs.

Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about since I've never used a ribbed extension and I should just shut up. :rolleyes:

Jay-gon Jinn
01-02-2010, 12:18 AM
Maybe I was thinking of battery packs.

Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about since I've never used a ribbed extension and I should just shut up. :rolleyes:

Battery packs sounds better! ;)