PDA

View Full Version : 1.25in Sink Tube Spear?

Darth Abominor
12-27-2009, 04:14 PM
Hi folks. I was taking apart my first ever build, using the TCSS 1.25in Sink Tube Blade Holder and was considering using the same BladeHolder to make a Light Spear/Yuri. Only issue I can find is:

1. How to keep the battery pack safe and sound down the length of the 4-5ft of tube needed for the spear body?

2. Where to find a PVC or other light weight tube that will fit the 1.25in BladeHolder. I can find tons of cheap PVC in the 1.5in range, but the spacing means having to find a filler to make the contact flush between tube and Holder. I know the simple option would be a wooden spear shaft with a small coupler section of sink tube at the tip to allow for the BladeHolder, but there must be other options that won't get too heavy.

Any suggestions?

Ingchao
12-27-2009, 04:23 PM
I made a light spear out of 1" electrical conduit. I tapped and threaded it to hold a blade. It was pretty heavy. You could use 1" pvc- same as in Jay Gon's tutorial or you could use copper pipe with a coupling and tap and thread that.
To hold the battery pack at the bottom, I stuffed the inside of the conduit with foam pipe insulation.

You could also bring the blade holder to Home Depot/ Lowe's or whatever home improvement store is in your area and test fit it into various pipe.

Darth Abominor
12-27-2009, 04:27 PM
Was trying to avoid a metal shaft if possible. All the metal tubes on which the BladeHolder was tested for fit were way to heavy for 'fun use'. Though I have to ask, how is the use of a 1in PVC tube going to be of any use with a 1.25in BladeHolder, considering that the BH is normally inserted into the 1.25 tube material?

Ingchao
12-27-2009, 04:33 PM
Was trying to avoid a metal shaft if possible. All the metal tubes on which the BladeHolder was tested for fit were way to heavy for 'fun use'. Though I have to ask, how is the use of a 1in PVC tube going to be of any use with a 1.25in BladeHolder?

It's an option, you don't need the bladeholder with. 1" poly-c fits right in.

Darth Abominor
12-27-2009, 04:39 PM
Means 'making' an LED Sink/Lens setup inside a 1in bit of tube, like an Econo-US blade. I had considered that, but then the BladeHolder is useless and I have then to learn a new building style. ;)

Ingchao
12-27-2009, 04:43 PM
Yeah, but you can build another saber with the bladeholder and you can never know too many ways to build a saber.

Darth Abominor
12-27-2009, 04:46 PM
*phef* education. :rolleyes: That's the last, more reasonable, route I will take if I can find no other way to reuse the BH without sticking it back into a metal tube at some point. Thanks for the input.

Ingchao
12-27-2009, 04:48 PM
You're welcome.