PDA

View Full Version : 1st MHS Saber build

Dakarn
12-23-2009, 09:05 AM
Making sure I have everything I need - I'm going the economy sound board route out of a Hasbro Darth Vader Force Action lightsaber for my 1st one.

MHS ribbed extension v-grooved
Screw on LED blade holder style 18
MPS Pommel style 3 v2 (May go with v1 instead)
Hilt style 3 with standard style switch hole
10 3/16" ID Black O-ring (to be used on the extension and inbetween certain pieces)
Seoul P4 (Red)
Covertec Clip
MHS speaker and battery holder
MPS Insert style 1
1" Hilt safety plug
SPST Momentary switch with black button
Luxeon Collimator Lens 5 deg viewing angle
Luxeon III/V Lens Holder
Star thermal tape pad or other thermal compound for the heat sink

Is it better to get the 4AAA battery holder and deluxe speaker instead or is the integrated unit just as good?

Eventually I'll get the blade and want to change up the LED to Amber with a Buck Puck. This is more of a costume saber for now.

Comment, suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Crimsonjedi
12-23-2009, 09:28 AM
don't forget to get the screw for your covertec clip

FenderBender
12-23-2009, 09:44 AM
Don't get the momentary switch unless you are using a soundboard that requires it. If its just a stunt with a puck, then you'll need a "LATCHING" switch.

Pommel inserts also need the clip ring, you'll need a set screw or thumbscrew for your blade retention.

Jedi-Loreen
12-23-2009, 09:54 AM
Fender:

Making sure I have everything I need - I'm going the economy sound board route out of a Hasbro Darth Vader Force Action lightsaber for my 1st one.
:p
And yeah, I'm slow. That's what I get for making a long post.

Are you going to tap your own screw holes for your Covertec screw and blade retention screws? If not, you can have Tim do them for a service fee.

Even if you don't have a blade yet, I'd go ahead and get a blade retention screw now anyway, so you don't forget when you order a blade. You'll need something to hold your safety plug in, anyway. ;)

Are you going to use the plastic button that comes with the Covertec clip? You certainly can, but the machined buttons are much nicer and are made to fit the curve of a hilt, unlike the original plastic one, which is flat.

What are you going to use to hold in your MPS insert? I don't see an MPS clip on your list.

Do you have extra wire and heat shrink tubing already? If not, you'll need some of that.

Dakarn
12-23-2009, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the help! So many things go into a saber build.

The Hasbro board just needs a SPST momentary, eventually I'm going to do the Puck with a different LED, sticking with the easy to do P4 Red for now.

So I'm adding:

Blade retention screw
Covertech screw
Custom tapping for blade retention screw and covertech screw
MPS clip

I have wire and heat shrink tubing.

Going to add those things to my wishlist now so when the store is open after Jan 1 again I can get them in.

I'm trying to keep it simple for this first build, eventually I'll either build another or mod this one with some more intricate things. Need to keep the budget low so I can do the rest of a Jedi costume too.

xl97
12-24-2009, 07:04 AM
my suggestion (if you are having any drilling/tapping done).. shoot Tim an email and ask that he screws ALL parts together so that any sort fo switch holes and blade retnetion hoeles LINE UP correctly..!

Dakarn
12-24-2009, 07:11 AM
Thanks I will.

One question, I was looking at the MHS Gear - is there an adaptor to bring the female side back down to the proper size for the rest of the MHS pieces?

xl97
12-24-2009, 07:21 AM
huh?

all MHS parts are compatible..

meaning all threaded ends work together..

no MHS part has differnt size threads on anything.

all male thread (should) fit all female threads... (and vice versa)

Dakarn
12-24-2009, 08:50 AM
huh?

all MHS parts are compatible..

meaning all threaded ends work together..

no MHS part has differnt size threads on anything.

all male thread (should) fit all female threads... (and vice versa)

Your right - the way the photo looked led me to believe that the female side was bigger for some reason.

Dakarn
12-24-2009, 03:27 PM
One other question - whats a good length for a saber?

I'm 6' tall and heavyset, the sabers I've been putting together on MHS builder are about 15-16" long, is that too long?

xl97
12-25-2009, 08:37 AM
the reality of it is.. its really up to the builder/owner.

myself.. I use 12" as a BASE rule of thumb... (most things come out to that or close).. and it looks & feels good, well balance both physically and visually (to me)..

so depending on the 'design' a build could be slightly bigger I think I had one 13" (or very close).. or slightly under..

but also keep in mind..if you ever plan on selling them.. you need to design/build for the masses as well..

Dakarn
12-25-2009, 09:39 AM
I removed one of the pieces to bring it down to 14" taking into consideration what you stated.

The saber is for me, I didn't want it too big to avoid issues while dueling/playing around with it.

michael0825
12-25-2009, 09:56 PM
Personally I think even 14" is a little big. The Force FX sabers are generally 11" if that matters at all to you. I generally stay between 11-13" when I'm planning with the MHS builder. Imagine the saber on your belt (especially since you mentioned that it would be a costume saber). You don't want it to awkwardly hang or for that matter stick up (depending on where your Covertec is placed). Just my two cents. Good luck with your build. And...careful not to twist your wires or make them too long! I learned that the hard way....

Dakarn
01-01-2010, 05:14 AM
Just placed my order, so I'm excited.

Here's the final parts list:

* 1 of: Hilt style 2 with standard style switch hole
* 1 of: MHS Gear
* 1 of: Screw on LED blade holder style 12
* 1 of: MHS choke style 1 short
* 1 of: MPS Pommel style 7
* 1 of: Covertec Clip
* 2 of: 2 Wire quick connector
* 1 of: 2.2ohm 5w resistor
* 1 of: Luxeon III Star (Red/Orange)
* 1 of: MPS Insert style 1
* 1 of: 1" Hilt safety plug
* 1 of: Luxeon Collimator Lens 5 deg viewing angle
* 1 of: Luxeon III/V Lens Holder
* 1 of: 8-32 x 1/4" socket head
* 1 of: MPS Clip
* 1 of: MHS speaker mount V2
* 1 of: Premium Speaker
* 1 of: 8-32 x 13/32" Thumb Screw
* 1 of: Machined button for Covertec clip
* 1 of: DPDT Momentary orange illuminated switch
* 1 of: Bezel for illuminated switches
* 1 of: Star thermal tape pad
* 1 of: 220ohm 1/4w resistor

In addition, I have the following parts:

Darth Vader Force Action electronics (sound, sensors, etc)
4 AAA Battery Holder
Reed Relay
Appropriate wiring
4 wire connector
Black o-rings
heat shrink wrap

Anything else I forgot? Think I covered everything.

Attached a rendering from SaberBuilder, I'm adding a 2 piece chrome sink pipe shroud, first is for the grip area, second is at the blade holder area.

Off to purchase a cheap tabletop powered pipe cutter with angle adjustments later today to do my shroud cutting.

Rafalema
01-01-2010, 06:15 AM
Does LUX III/V lens holder and lens work with Seoul P4?
Just wanted to ask

Jedi-Loreen
01-01-2010, 12:07 PM
Yes it does.