PDA

View Full Version : Shroud help

MakillaGorilla
12-17-2009, 07:09 PM
quick question ladies and germs.

What can I use as a shroud over top of my standard size MHS parts? The parts themselves are 1.5" and as I can only find sink tubes at 1.5". Would this fit or am I S.O.L. in the shroud department?

Vos Malek
12-17-2009, 07:18 PM
Yep. 1.5" sinktubes just fit over MHS parts. That's what most people use for their shrouds. They're pretty easy to work with too.

FenderBender
12-17-2009, 07:40 PM
Yup, 1.5" sinktube (as long as it's 22 gauge) fits great over MHS and is awesome for "cutting your teeth" on shroud work;) From there, you can move on to other metals like the thicker Aluminum sleeve material in the store.

Crystal Chambers
12-18-2009, 01:45 PM
Except for powder coated pieces though right?

Seemed to me anything powdercoated should be taken down a bit first to maintain the OD need for 1.5 shrouds/overlays.

I read this somewhere, I believe in one of Jay-gon's build threads.

Jedi-Loreen
12-18-2009, 01:46 PM
That is correct.

Jay-gon Jinn
12-18-2009, 02:45 PM
That is correct.

Well, sort of correct. I have sleeved plenty of Tims' pc'd MHS parts using the chrome tube he sells in the store. It's a bit more of a snug fit than usual, but it will still fit over the pc'd MHS parts without modifying the mHS pieces first. Tim even confirmed thisd for me in an email shortly after he started offering the powder coating service.

The only pc'd parts that will need to be turned are the ones that you might want to to sleeve with those brass tubes (20ga.) that I use in the Brass Sabers I build. In that case, instead of having tim turn the MHS pieces down to 1.43", I'll have him take them to 1.42" instead, and then powder coat them.

Crystal Chambers
12-18-2009, 03:18 PM
awesome!

That leaves the question of fitting 22 gauge over powdercoat. Tight fit over powdercoated MHS as is maybe? Or would they need to be turned down too?

FenderBender
12-18-2009, 03:50 PM
Flat black and sometimes gloss black can be sleeved over no problem. Any of the Trans colors though and you better take the MHS down a couple thousandths.

xl97
12-18-2009, 06:30 PM
Flat black and sometimes gloss black can be sleeved over no problem. Any of the Trans colors though and you better take the MHS down a couple thousandths.

or the 'chromes' or 'silvers' too..they are VERY thick....

Hasid Lafre
12-18-2009, 06:40 PM
Be sure to make sure your edges are clean and smooth.