PDA

View Full Version : New Moon Props?

Rafalema
12-13-2009, 01:54 AM
I'll possibly purchase this Sidious lightsaber kit from here:

http://newmoonprops.com/StarWars.htm

Has any of you ordered any products from there?
And if you are, are they good?

Jedi-Loreen
12-13-2009, 03:01 AM
Why would you want a resin saber? Just for display?

That's not the best casting I've seen. And I wouldn't be surprised if it was one of the best ones they'd done. What you get could look a lot worse.

I'm thinking he may also be recasting other people's work without permission.

I'll have to watch that site for the Rebel Pilot wings, then I'll know if he's recasting, when I see those.

Rafalema
12-13-2009, 03:02 AM
It would only be a display piece. I recently fell in love with sidious' saber, and I don't want any .45 scaled replicas, and that other MR replica costs 400 $, which is too much for me.

Jedi-Loreen
12-13-2009, 03:17 AM
Which one would you get? The painted, or unpainted one? The painted one isn't impressive. They didn't sand the seams down well and the painting is sloppy.

So, if nobody says they've heard of or bought from this place are you going to trust them? Since you said you don't trust people who sell FX sound boards. Maybe it's not as important if you only lose $20 for an unpainted resin cast.

Rafalema
12-13-2009, 03:59 AM
Yeah..

I'll be the "pioneer" after I get my first saber done first.

Mobius
12-13-2009, 06:03 AM
Okay maybe Im just having an I.D.10.T error here but how exactly do you plan on ordering from them? I see no checkout/add to cart/order anywhere on that page...

EDIT: Nevermind... Figured it out by visiting their main page. http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x121/krhurrl/banghead.gif

Ingchao
12-13-2009, 08:38 AM
Request a catalog from these guys:
http://www.arsenalmodels.com/digitalcatalog.html

They have a Sidious saber among some other really cool weapons.

I've seen them @ a few cons over the years and they do some pretty good work. Better than newmoon.
I bought a Dagger replica from the ST:TOS episode "Mirror, Mirror" and am pretty happy with the quality.
Next time I see them, I'm gonna grab the Sandman's pistol from "Logan's Run".

ARKM
12-13-2009, 01:14 PM
Request a catalog from these guys:
http://www.arsenalmodels.com/digitalcatalog.html

I'm sure they do great work.. but I find this funny...

http://www.arsenalmodels.com/castingservices.html

The first pistol shown (what they call, the MAC Pistol), which they say they own the license to, is a slightly modified (very slightly modfied) original Laser Tag gun. I should know, I still have one. Unless they bought the copyrights from the toy manufacturer, I call shenanigans.

TimeRender
12-13-2009, 07:48 PM
He is recasting. The imperial tie fighter pilot wings he has for sale, I bought one of those from the guy who made them, and it wasn't this guy. I'll be sending him an email over on the RPF.

Kant Lavar
12-13-2009, 10:06 PM
Yeah, I know someone whose stuff New Moon had recast for a time. I don't know if she ever got her stuff pulled, to be honest. I know she was having a problem getting them to even acknowledge her (big surprise).

And to add to that, I've heard some sketchy stuff about the quality of their castings overall. My advice would be to avoid them entirely.

Rafalema
12-14-2009, 12:22 PM
Well, I don't really care if it is a recast or anything, just want it as a display piece. I e-mailed the Arsenal Models and asked for digital catalog.

Jedi-Loreen
12-14-2009, 12:34 PM
That's a poor attitude.

People work hard on their sculpts to make a good model to be cast in resin, metal or other material.

People like you who support recasters just encourage these people to keep stealing other's hard work and turn out their crappy products.

I give you a thumbs down for this. :mad:

Rafalema
12-14-2009, 12:35 PM
I did not mean to offense anyone. Im still waiting for the catalog from the Arsenal Model to see their prices.

And of course, if I would be someone really making these kinda models I would really hate people stealing them...

I'll meditate on this...

Jedi-Loreen
12-14-2009, 12:44 PM
Some people just don't understand how things work, and should work, in the prop community.

I've been a member of Replica Prop Forum for many years, and I see work from those people being stolen and recast all the time.

Years ago, someone even stole an EL Blade Tutorial that I wrote and put on the internet for people to use for free. They copied it and started selling it on ebay.

Rafalema
12-14-2009, 12:56 PM
Wow...

Okay you overtalked me, I won't get any resin's from newmoon.

BTW is The Arsenal Models capable of casting the sidious saber to metal?

cardcollector
12-14-2009, 01:25 PM
Some people just don't understand how things work, and should work, in the prop community.

Years ago, someone even stole an EL Blade Tutorial that I wrote and put on the internet for people to use for free. They copied it and started selling it on ebay.

I was a victim of this!!!:mad: (of course I did buy it... ignorantly)

I think people who take original ideas and turn them into "mass products" not only hurt the person who spent countless hours working on them.
But they also hurt the area as a whole.

TimeRender
12-19-2009, 07:25 PM
Just an update on this. I contacted a member at the RPF about his tie pilot wings, and he created another thread over there to warn other members. I think there are a half dozen threads now at the RPF from prop builders who have been ripped off by NMP. Another member looked up the domain and and tracked down the home address, phone number, and email address for NMP's website administrator. All of this information is now posted at the RPF. I think that demonstrates how seriously people in the prop community take the issue of recasting.

Shadar Al'Niende
12-20-2009, 08:45 AM
*whistles "Another One Bites the Dust" by Queen*:rolleyes: