PDA

View Full Version : 6 volt power to achieve purple RGB

dj2rbo
12-09-2009, 01:39 PM
greeting all! dumb dumb newbie here with a few questions. Im planning on using 6 volt power supply to power up the red and blue leads on a endor star to try to achieve purple. can this be done. also would i be able to do this with a mace fx lightsaber? also someone mention using a 6 wire puck to control the shade, which one would you attach that to? red or blue or both?

fyi i connected the blue and red led leads directly on the 6 volts battery pack without a resistor and optics and came out with the perfect purple. the only thing is i needed to use the ultrasabers blade the one that isn't ulteaedge to make the blade much more even. i ordered some optics and im still waiting but ill bet it would benefit it even more than hurt it. this was very easy to do i would recommend it to newbies to try if you want a nice purple. ill post pics later i guess.

Shadar Al'Niende
12-09-2009, 02:41 PM
As for first question i would use a potentiometer on your red to help for adjusting a more true purple.

cannibal869
12-09-2009, 04:55 PM
OK there are actually a few points here...

6V for RGB to get purple (i.e. red + blue). Yes it's fully possible. Will it be bright is another question.

Most people here will put a resistor on the red wire, to achieve a nicer shade of purple. If you don't use the resistor, the purple will be a tad pinkish. Fenderbender and Allaera seem to be the current masters of this.

As for the buckpuck question - this would be used to regulate the total current going to the LEDs. The real question is - do you wire the red and blue in series or in parallel. I'm sure one of the others will chime in here in a bit... Just keep in mind that in series circuits, the current stays the same.

In order to do this with a MaceFX, you would first need the conversion kit. There may be some space regulations with the endor setup too (specifically, the optics used). People seem to have a favorable opinion of the P5 RGB LED and of the LEDEngin RGBA. Alternatively, you could wait a while for Xwing to make another batch of custom Rebels.

-C

Shadar Al'Niende
12-09-2009, 05:34 PM
Most people here will put a resistor on the red wire, to achieve a nicer shade of purple. If you don't use the resistor, the purple will be a tad pinkish. Fenderbender and Allaera seem to be the current masters of this.

Quick correction here...

Fender uses a pot (potentiometer) to get purple as I suggested in my post above yours, a resistor is not the "best" way to get a purple as it is a set resistance and a potentiometer allows you to alter the level of resistance in effect "turning down or up" the led brightness you hooked it to.

dj2rbo
12-09-2009, 11:49 PM
Quick question what are the odds I have a defective pair of endor stars? I put power on the red then blue then green but none of them seems to be working. Am I doing something wrong. Is there a special way to hook these up? thanks

Jedi-Loreen
12-10-2009, 02:29 AM
You know what they say, "A picture is worth a thousand words".

It's hard to help you if we don't know what you were doing.

Ingchao
12-11-2009, 02:50 PM
Didya put 6 volts straight to the led?

Ya may have blown them if you powered them up with no resistors.