PDA

View Full Version : How to make 4060 Blinky

Sunrider
12-07-2009, 06:08 PM
The 4060 chip is a good choice for your led flashing needs. It wastes little power and it regulates current at about 15ma on the outputs so you don't need resistors in line with the leds. The setup I will show will be as simple as I can make it & will use the least amount of parts as possible. You can make more elaborate setups but we won't do that here.

The 4060 IC comes in a couple sizes. To save space & for a more shock resistant setup I will be using the surface mount version. For those new to surface mount components do not be afraid. They are not much harder to mount than axial lead stuff. I will try to convey some of the techniques that I use to make stuff.

Ok here is a diagram showing the basic circuit I will be using.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2636/4161307641_82f8590bf0_o.gif

The way the 4060 works is R1 & C1 create a clock or on off pulse that makes the chip start working. The chip starts counting & turns the Q pins on & off at different speeds. The Q pins are numbered, the higher the number the slower they blink. C1 can be as small as small as 1000pf or as big as 1uf. R1 can be from 200k to 1megaohm. I will be using a .01uf capacitor & a 470kohm resistor.

For power we need at least 5 volts for the RC circuit to start working preferably 6 volts up to 14 volts. The reset pin resets the IC when power is applied & is grounded for normal operation. There are two examples of the ways that leds will be driven. One is the normal way with power from one of the Q pins on one lead & the other grounded. The second example is an led with both leads to different Q pins. To make the best use of this type of connection one would connect the positive lead of an led to a faster blinking pin & the negative lead to a slower blinking pin to get a heart beat type of inter mitten blinking. There are a lot of different ways to connect leds. The rate at which they blink will depend on power supply voltage & the RC components.

The parts I am using can easily be found online. For bread board I am using a common type with rows of pads for several different types of chip foot prints. For the CD4060BC the pins are 1.27mm apart & 4.75mm from one row of pins to another. This is a common size & can be found at an electronics store. I found mine at Fry's. The LEDs I will use are PLCC surface mount 20ma high output.

As the Q pins have a big difference in how fast or slow they flash some will be too fast or slow to use. About half of the rates are at a speed that is usable. Also since the rate at which they blink are multiples of each other they will always be in sync in a way. To make mine more random and alive looking I will use two 4060 chips to drive 9 LEDs & sort of mix up the order in how they are connected. To make them run at different speeds 1 R1 is 470k ohm & the other is 1 mega ohm. T 1 meg resistor chip will run at about half the speed of the other.

Piece of breadboard with two 4060s & LEDs on different piece of breadboard.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2500/4162064918_01cb3aebf6.jpg

The bottom
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2566/4161309669_e69c70c152.jpg

Please forgive the sloppy soldering I reworked the boards several times. If you can make it out there is a 10uf ceramic cap on the bottom from power to ground. It's not absolutely necessary but it is always good to have one there to protect the ICs. The two small sets rectangle parts on top are the RC circuits. A good size part to start with is 0805 size. The parts I used are a little smaller than that. Using a board with a ground plane on the bottom makes wiring easier.

Don't be frightened by the size of the parts. To put it together you will need an iron with a fairly small tip,wire for power, rework wire (very fine green wire in completely assembled pic) ,9V battery for testing, thin rosin core solder, tweezers, & solder wick so you can remove excess solder when needed. And of course you need the main components.
First tin the pads on the breadboard by putting the iron on the pad for a second until it accepts the solder. When pads are lightly tinned grab chip with tweezers and line pins up with pads. While putting light pressure on chip hold iron sideways so you can heat up a few pins at the same time. Now slide iron back & fourth across the pins till it seats. Do this until both sides are seated & pins are lined up with pads. If it gets crooked don't worry just apply more solder & try again. When you get it straight use solder wick (copper weave that absorbs solder) to remove excess solder. When putting the 0805 resistors & capacitors on tin the board holes first, grab the part with tweezers put a dab of solder on your iron & touch both sides of the part to put a tiny bit of solder on them. Now technique is similar than with chip but smaller, hold part with tweezers align, apply light pressure & move iron fairly quickly from one end of the part to the other until it seats flat on the board. When you get the chip & the RC circuit on the board connect it to the 9V battery & with a 20ma led you can start playing around with the different configs. Don't forget to ground the reset pin. At this point I identified configs I liked & drew a diagram. The rest is regular old stripping wires & soldering into holes on the board unless you want to stack two boards on a small package like below. To apply the rework wire cut a small piece, hold it in about the position it will be on the board, cut to length & leave enough for the bent ends to go in the holes. Straighten wire, put on a flat surface, with exacto knife lightly apply pressure & roll wire in fingers, roll wire under knife for 1 or 2 turns then scrape insulation off & repeat. You will need to thread the wire so to speak using mostly tweezers.To attach one board to another I grabbed an axial lead part & threaded the lead through unused holes on each board & soldered.

Completed setup
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2605/4166846463_87481431d5.jpg

:mrgreen: Glory pic. Its alive:p
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2668/4166845401_f91683b629.jpg

Not sure why but the blue & green leds are a lot brighter than yellow & orange. Blues & greens are blinding even under driven.

Well not super easy but doable with some time & patience. I don't have a movie but I must say I'm satisfied with the performance of it.

Well I hope that is enough info for one to make one for themselves. If I left anything out or there are questions just ask.

Movie

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3380/4619882235_1e92a790b8_s.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/44453311@N05/4619882235/)

FenderBender
12-08-2009, 06:43 AM
Very nice! Totally doable. Thanks so much for taking your time to post this here.

Kal El Rah
12-08-2009, 10:03 PM
Nice indeed, I also thank you for posting it, should be a sticky for sure.:cool:

Novastar
12-09-2009, 06:03 AM
As always, you rock Sunrider. Good job, Sun! Eh... good job, son!!! :D

Lord Dottore Matto
12-09-2009, 12:17 PM
Wonderful contribution! Thank you VERY much.:cool:

cardcollector
12-09-2009, 05:23 PM
WOW!!!

Great tutorial... just so I understand... the 4060 IC acts like the resistor to the LED's right?

Sunrider
12-09-2009, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the good words guys. CC the Q pins toggle from power to ground & also regulate current to 15ma so no resistors are needed with 20ma leds will try 10ma soon. Let me restate that these leds that I used are incredibly bright considering they are 20ma leds under driven (blues & greens). Yellows & oranges were disappointing. I'm gonna try replacing those with 10ma versions in the same package. I also found an interesting looking 20ma purple at digi.:cool:

Fun project with many possibilities. You may learn something too.:)

Shadar Al'Niende
12-09-2009, 10:50 PM
Is it bad that this is over my head? Props to those of you who get it... I may be asking you questions one day ;)

Sunrider
12-10-2009, 08:00 PM
No not bad. Even the wisest have something yet to learn.

Here before us we have an interest with aspects that range from the mechanical to the electrical and from sound to light. None will master them all.

But with help from each other we can become competent in all of them. Do not focus on what cannot be done but what can. You must feel the flow of electrons from the battery pack to the buck puck, between the soundboard and the speaker, even between the blinky chip and the led.;)

Or for you dark siders out there; knowledge is powwaa unlimited powwwaaaaaa.:-P

So pull that thing floating over your head down & search wiki for technical terms!

"...read until your eyes hurt. The best way that we can help you is if you help yourself.":D SK

Rhyen Skytracker
12-11-2009, 05:34 PM
Thanks Sunrider. This thread should be stickied.

Sunrider
05-20-2010, 07:30 PM
For any interested in seeing the 4060 chips in action I've added a movie. Nothing spectacular about this configuration it can be wired for more random effects but it is simple and therefore easy.:)

jjshumpert
05-20-2010, 07:47 PM
the eye sees green better, thats why it looks so much brighter than the red scale leds

KuroChou
05-20-2010, 08:36 PM
it actually has everything to do with the source of light, and the color balance of ambient light.

The "blue" cones are identified by the peak of their light response curve at about 445 nm. They are unique among the cones in that they constitute only about 2% of the total number and are found outside the fovea centralis where the green and red cones are concentrated. Although they are much more light sensitive than the green and red cones, it is not enough to overcome their disadvantage in numbers. However, the blue sensitivity of our final visual perception is comparable to that of red and green, suggesting that there is a somewhat selective "blue amplifier" somewhere in the visual processing in the brain.

The light response of the rods peaks sharply in the blue; they respond very little to red light. This leads to some interesting phenomena:

Red rose at twilight: In bright light, the color-sensitive cones are predominant and we see a brilliant red rose with somewhat more subdued green leaves. But at twilight, the less-sensitive cones begin to shut down for the night, and most of the vision comes from the rods. The rods pick up the green from the leaves much more strongly than the red from the petals, so the green leaves become brighter than the red petals!

The ship captain has red instrument lights. Since the rods do not respond to red, the captain can gain full dark-adapted vision with the rods with which to watch for icebergs and other obstacles outside. It would be undesirable to examine anything with white light even for a moment, because the attainment of optimum night-vision may take up to a half-hour. Red lights do not spoil it.

Those both help to explain the apparent dimness of red and amber hues, but it's also worth noting a known problem with blue LED's of all varieties.
Part of the problem is because the semiconductor materials used in blue LED's.
Short wave LED's (blue, violet, ultraviolet) require a higher "ignition" voltage, if you will, and produce a brighter minimum light than longer colors (red, orange, amber).

Theres also an issue of the refraction angle of blue wavelengths, and the resulting distortion of focus in the eye, especially from single point sources... i.e. LED's.
There's a full article about it here:
http://www.dcontinuum.com/content/news.php?id=209

cannibal869
05-24-2010, 01:26 PM
awesome post - thank you for doing this!

Matt Thorn
05-28-2010, 06:01 PM
I missed this thread when it first appeared. Thanks to Sloda for bringing it to my attention. Great stuff. And great info and link, KuroChou. The article on blue LEDs was a real eye-opener (so to speak).

darthobie
07-11-2011, 05:18 PM
Sunrider, would you be willing to sell a blinky? I am not sure if I have the time and patience to build one and I seem to be having some problems locating a place online that sell the ic and plcc leds. Just curious.

jin starkiller
07-11-2011, 05:39 PM
On this forum you must obey the rules no soliciatating or buying or selling is allowed on this forum, Please read the rules

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?7360-Forum-Guidelines-All-members-please-read

Matt Thorn
07-11-2011, 06:05 PM
Since the thread has been bumped now (for the wrong reason, but nonetheless...), here's a Wayback Machine link to the very interesting article KuroChou linked to above (and which is now dead):
http://web.archive.org/web/20090228171836/http://www.dcontinuum.com/content/news.php?id=209
This phenomenon, while no doubt problematic in other applications, may actually make blue lightsabers look more lightsaber-y, since the eye has trouble focusing on blue light.

Jedi-Loreen
07-12-2011, 09:04 AM
darthobie, in addition to what Jin Starkiller said, please be mindful of the date of the last post in a thread. If it's more than, say sixth month old, it's not an active topic.

Please read all the Stickied threads in all the sub-forums so that you also know the rules of that particular sub-forum.

Thanks.

DARTHDRU
08-09-2011, 04:22 AM
Would this also work with a 4066 chip? if so I have one of those and im gona try to wire this up tonight after work.

Natesroom
08-09-2011, 05:27 AM
wow in all my perusal of the boards i missed this post.. Glad someone posted in it so i could read it. Awesome work Sunrider!