PDA

View Full Version : Saber Sound Font Website (or directory/page/etc.)

Novastar
12-05-2009, 02:21 AM
Ok... so, although I've thought a *tiny* bit about this idea way in the past (2007)... it seems the most relevant here and now, as we move toward 2010...

The idea would basically be a web page/site that is dedicated to a directory of sound fonts for CF.

Now... a few moments ago, I thought that since I was re-designing my website(s) anyhow... maybe having an organized place to download fonts would be cool.

This has been attempted a bit @ TCSS... but things get lost when there is a "thread" + a bunch of individual sites to host downloadable zips.

Some important thoughts:

* It COULD BE DONE via a thread on FX and/or TCSS... but there would have to be some "standard format".
* It could also be done via "video" on Youtube/etc. (sort of like my saber response challenge setup)... where the user would post a link in the sidebar to download the .ZIP or whatever for the font...
* It could also be done via a webpage/website

Now... the advantages of doing it via VIDEO (let's say, Youtube), would be the following:

~ No "main site manager" has to do anything.
~ Video can plainly demonstrate the font "visually" and via audio (DUHHH).
~ Users are their own persons... they can do things in their own way while keeping some "standard practices" (sort of like the saber response challenge)
~ Users can remove/update/alter/add as they see fit. Again, no site manager has to fix this.
~ People visiting the video do not have to watch the entire video to download... they just click the sidebar if they know what they want!

The only disadvantages I see:

~ You can't add your own fonts if you don't have a y-tube account (big deal)... although ANYONE can download.
~ It's not "all at one site". Sort of. Since the downloadables would have to be "up to the user" to place somewhere where the file can be accessed all the time (none of this yousendit stuff here!!)
~ No real "directory" of the fonts... other than the fact that they'd all be "video responses" (again, exactly like the saber response challenge)... which... I don't know if it goes in alphabetical order??? Hmmm. Even so... this could be remedied by some guy who wants to make a thread that shows: Font Name + Creator Name + Video Link... in a big long list--locked thread except to edit/add links!

What do you guys think? :)

--Nova

Count Malik
12-05-2009, 01:33 PM
sounds cool! (thats ironic lol) I do see where your comming from though nova...

sekrogue1985
12-05-2009, 02:08 PM
I'm game!

infa008
12-05-2009, 02:11 PM
sounds like a great idea. you tube is very friendly and the video previews would answer alot of questions. If every one started their youtube video with a standard blurb like,"buttered toast font: super darth wig splitter" then it could even make it searchable.

Novastar
03-19-2010, 01:29 AM
I'm bumping this thread simply because I thought the timing might have bit a bit weird (Xmas time, 2009)...

Otherwise... I'd be getting the feeling that no one really wants this (see initial post). Which is ok... I just want to find out, hahahah! :)

Crystal Chambers
03-19-2010, 04:38 AM
I don't think I've seen more then a handfull of people making custom fonts for their CFs and even though the card is not easy to get, so many people have them. I have many many ideas for various experimental sound fonts but alas...I have no CF:(. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't enjoy seeing some more creative use of CF and what kind of sound fonts people manage to create.

Luke-SkyMarcher
03-19-2010, 07:00 AM
Go for it, Nova!

At the very least we'll know where to go when posting our sound fonts, and where to look when we have something in mind.

If I ever get my "blue saber" sound font to sound the way I want it to, I'd certainly post it up.

Novastar
03-24-2010, 02:13 AM
Hmmm... as I'm not seeing much about this right now, I think I'll make it some kind of "later on + spare time" thing, and not worry too much about it for now.

I will probably do it no matter what later on... but... no need to make something if there aren't many "screams from the crowd" on it!! :)

It's not so much a "negative" thing, it's just prioritizing... :cool:

Crystal Chambers
03-25-2010, 06:46 AM
So so sad...I'm gonna steal someone CF for not being more into this. I have no idea just how many of the various CF cards are out there, and now even another board with custom fonts and yet it seems like no interest? This makes me wonder why does anyone get a CF to begin with? I mean there are some great fonts out there now yet the ability to make your own is what makes me want one the most.

Well then, for future reference then I suggest a youtube standard with everyone using SSF in the beginning of the title. EI..."SSF Leia" etc. For the obvious reason that by searching SSF you'd get a list of saber font posts.

Shadeslinger
03-25-2010, 08:58 AM
I like the idea! I think a page that gave a preview (like the previews on the NSCFSC or erv's site have) would really be a help to those looking for what fonts to get. Come to think of it.....couldn't erv continue to host these on his website? I don't know if storage would be a problem on his site or not, that, and the time erv would have to take to get things up.

From what I see, mostly (mostly) all CF fonts have been featured on the sound compendiums which is something for sale...not really free for anyone to take, but by offering previews and giving the info on how to get them, it'd make it easier to aquire.

For instance, if someone likes "Blackstar" they could either get CFSC#1 or go to erv's site (I think it's still posted there). Or if they like one of Madcow's fonts or Eastern's either get the respective cd or contact the artist for it (there's a few people who like to trade cf fonts for parts or services). For those that want to have thier fonts "free to the public" they can do that to. I think that if an audio preview and a "font locator" were mandatory, it'd be very streamlined versus a youtube like solution. :)

Novastar
03-25-2010, 10:32 AM
All good ideas, Shade... and eventually I will be able to implement something like this right on my (upcoming) website... (site is going to be a different one, not simply my "Cutting Edge" one).

For now though... I'm afraid other things will have to take precedence. :)

Novastar
06-20-2010, 04:27 PM
Pretty cool... looks like this will be comin' soon... :)

mongo
06-20-2010, 06:06 PM
What up guys,
just stumbled into this thread,im game for a site you can upload/download sound fonts . count me in ive got a bunch of em and still making more.

Invisas1979
06-21-2010, 11:52 AM
I think this is a great idea too.

An add on would be to have a comprehensive tutorial on how to make fonts.

I talked with nova and though he said it was simple/ish I tried and failed. Maybe more effort is needed but if we were all experimenting using a good tutorial we could come up with some great sounds fonts.

Novastar
06-23-2010, 03:26 PM
I think this is a great idea too.

An add on would be to have a comprehensive tutorial on how to make fonts.

I talked with nova and though he said it was simple/ish I tried and failed. Maybe more effort is needed but if we were all experimenting using a good tutorial we could come up with some great sounds fonts.Hmm... knowing myself... ... (??) ... I don't think I'd ever say that it was "simple"... but neither is it rocket science.

Tutorials on how to make your own sound fonts are on the CD#1 compendium. Although it's not like it's as comprehensive and detailed as the Crystal Focus Wiring Guide that Gundamaniac & I made.

By the way, trying and "failing" = EXP. ... ... at least in my eyes. Yay, +250 Exp. -- level up @ 1000 Exp. :P hahahah

Jedi_Knight_Zekk
08-06-2010, 12:03 PM
My personal opinion is to do a website, but it all works Nova, so you do what you think is right.

psab keel
08-06-2010, 10:18 PM
People always say, well it's not rocket science! What do rocket scientists say? Well, it's not like talking to girls!

-Jim Gaffigan

(seemed appropriate)

Jedi_Knight_Zekk
08-07-2010, 03:27 PM
pasb keel, there is a joke thread in the misc topics section, please stay on topic

Jedi-Loreen
08-07-2010, 03:36 PM
You're not the one to be bossing around someone who's been here on this forum for a long time, Youngling.

His joke was relating to the post above his, not some random joke like in the Joke thread.

Novastar
08-07-2010, 06:44 PM
It will probably go on the upcoming site that Caine and I will be working with regarding the sabers combat DVDs... which will also have the "Novastar CDs" and info regarding that as well!

Novastar
09-01-2011, 02:48 AM
Hello all... it's been a long time since I've been to TCSS... but... quick thought/update...

There is talk from some of the folks that have to do with sound, sabers, saber boards... of creating a "font store" (sort of akin to what Alex is creating for my fonts over @ XSabers for Obsidian)... so, anyhow that may end up being the "best way" for everyone's font work to get the credit / recognition / availability that they deserve! :)

Whether or not this becomes a REALITY (for CF/PC fonts, etc.)... is hard to say at this point.

I can say with 99.5% certainty, however... that a font store for Obsidian is merely a short time away. And that is a good thing for custom sound in sabers, no matter who you are and how you feel about this widget, that widget, or this saber or that.

Much love to y'all... and... sorry to be so "touch & go"...

--Nova

captain_mills
09-01-2011, 04:18 PM
If I could ever get to the point where I could afford a PC or CF, I'd love a place to go and download font sounds. It'd be great if they were sorted into boot, clash, swing, etc... so one could mix & match. Even if there were a cost of so much per file, it would be convenient to download selected files only rather than purchasing a whole cd with only a few files that are wanted.

Just a suggestion, I don't know if it would be worth it to anyone, but I DL'd some music from a site called Bandcamp. You could download a whole cd's worth of music or just a few files. For instance (not selling or advertising), the site bandcamp.com looks weird, but it's customizeable as in the band whose music I DL'd... causeandeffect.bandcamp.com...

Looking forward to whatever you fellas come up with!!
CM

Skottsaber
09-01-2011, 11:43 PM
For CF & PC you can't really "mix & match" files, except the boot. The swings, clashes etc are all premixed with the hum in the background, so if you were to replace a hum in one font with a hum from another, you're going to have a very strange sounding font.

FenderBender
09-04-2011, 02:27 PM
A SaberFont store is coming. It is being worked on furiously, and won't be released until we are sure it works well. Rest assured, the day of being able to buy multiple fonts from multiple font makers for different platforms is coming shortly.

Rhyen Skytracker
09-04-2011, 02:35 PM
That is great news. To be able to have all the fonts from different people in one place, be able to listen to them and then buy the ones you want in one place is awesome.

thejedilestat
09-04-2011, 10:26 PM
looks like i need to buy a PC =)

cooky069
09-05-2011, 01:04 AM
i know this is asking alot but id love to see an area in on the site where you could buy unmixed versions of the sounds and use a built in mixer to create your own ultimate custom font , for a small fee of course . i know im dreaming just thought id throw it in there

Wong Yoon Wei
09-05-2011, 04:25 AM
This is fantastic news, the other day I was just thinking how cool it would be to be able to just download the fonts that you want as opposed to buying a whole CD worth of them (let's face it, most of us with the PC will only need a few fonts at most)