PDA

View Full Version : Weird Star Wars Reference

Lan-Ja Hamil
12-04-2009, 08:15 PM
Just got done watching Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and I noticed something weird. The club in Shanghai where the movie opens up is called, get this, Club Obi Wan. You can see the name of the club as they start making their getaway.

This is the first time I've noticed anything like this, does anybody have one they have noticed?

Jedi-Loreen
12-04-2009, 08:19 PM
I noticed it when it was first out in the theater back in 1984. :rolleyes:

Did you know that R2D2 and C-3PO were in Raiders of the Lost Ark?

http://i30.tinypic.com/30ub7er.jpg

Lan-Ja Hamil
12-04-2009, 08:22 PM
Holy cow! Now I have to go through every Lucas movie since ANH and look for everything.

Shadar Al'Niende
12-04-2009, 09:02 PM
I think my mind...has just been blown...................

Jedi-Loreen
12-04-2009, 09:07 PM
Wow, where have you guys been? Some Star Wars geeks you are!

I probably know about these cuz I'm so old. :p

Barmic Rin
12-05-2009, 03:25 AM
There aren't that many Lucas references in his own films, but these are two of the biggest, HOW HAVE YOU MISSED THEM!!!???!!!!

Please tell me you know about the OT bloopers/bad editing?

The Head banging Stormie?

Vader with two sabers?

Oola's boobies?!!???!!!!

Blue Fox
12-05-2009, 03:58 AM
nope don't know any of these. I can tell you more about the 40 years of Star Trek than Star Wars.

TimeRender
12-05-2009, 04:04 AM
The stormtrooper hitting his head and oola's wardrobe malfunction I know about, but what is this about Vader's two sabers? I'm guessing he's got one on his belt and one in his hand? What scene is that?

Jedi-Loreen
12-05-2009, 08:23 AM
What about R2 in the new Star Trek movie?

http://gizmodo.com/5405276/confirmed-r2+d2-finally-discovered-in-star-trek

Invisas1979
12-05-2009, 09:55 AM
And i'm sure we all knew ET was in Episode 1

http://i951.photobucket.com/albums/ad354/invisas/Randoms/2705thumb1.jpg

ARKM
12-05-2009, 12:08 PM
As far as editing bloopers, there is a scene in TESB on Cloud City where Luke and Vader are fighting and Vader falls off of a steep drop that. The camera is down below at the bottom of that drop, looking up at Luke. Luke turns and walks off to the left and his lightsaber is obscured by the top ledge of said drop. You hear his lightsaber shut off and when Luke's right hand is visible again you see a deactivated lightsaber in his right hand and see him clip it to his belt. Right When Luke is walking towards stage left and you hear his lightsaber deactivating, you can see the tip of the prop blade swing out over the ledge briefly where Luke was previously standing. Basically that was a stagehand turning to walk away with the bladed prop in hand (or maybe just the blade itself).

Blue Fox
12-05-2009, 12:28 PM
What about R2 in the new Star Trek movie?

http://gizmodo.com/5405276/confirmed-r2+d2-finally-discovered-in-star-trek

*jaw drops* no.. I did not know that one.

I'm interested in the other bloopers though.

tullfan81
12-05-2009, 03:59 PM
what about R2 on the bottom of the ship in Close Encounters of the Third Kind

annon
12-05-2009, 08:05 PM
And i'm sure we all knew ET was in Episode 1

http://i951.photobucket.com/albums/ad354/invisas/Randoms/2705thumb1.jpg

There's a family of ETs in ESB. Also, there is a rumor of a snow man in the Hoth battle. That one might be an urban legend tho.

TimeRender
12-05-2009, 08:27 PM
In ESB? I don't remember that at all either.

DarthRevenchist89
12-05-2009, 09:40 PM
For Star Trek, R2 is kinds hard to see if you have a crappy dvd player like mine, but i work at a movie theater so i saw him about twenty times but never thought anything of it. Dont get me started on THX-1138. It's all over the movies in some form or another.

Jedi-Loreen
12-05-2009, 09:51 PM
I don't remember that in ESB, either.

There was supposed to be a Wampa attack inside Echo Base, but they cut it out. That's what supposed to be happening here. Someone on the Rebel Legion forum was asking if anyone has tried making one of those weapons, that's why it was posted.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v294/MacRican/TroopsshootWampa2.jpg

There's also a scene cut from when Han, Leia and 3PO are running to the Falcon. They run past a door with a yellow warning sign with red writing. There are captured Wampas inside the room. 3PO stops, and rips the sign off the door, leaving a top corner of the sign still there. You can see a couple frames as he runs past the door.

In a later scene where the Imperials have entered the Base, a group of Snow Troopers open the door and go inside and you hear them getting attacked by the Wampas.

I actually saw these cut scenes on some website a couple years ago, but they have been taken down.

TimeRender
12-06-2009, 12:40 AM
I was just thinking about the wampa scenes actually. I was clicking around and found myself looking at art that had been for sale at a show, and one of the pieces was a painting of a wampa about to kill a snowtrooper. Those cut scenes were also referenced in the Shadows of the Empire game on N64. During one of the missions you can unleash wampas in the hoth base and watch them kill snowtroopers. I never read the SotE novel, so I don't know if it was there as well. Linky.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_cCkrTY7SUMA/Sv2mpp-jRaI/AAAAAAAAAT8/X3Nb_e66LNA/s1600-h/KL5.jpg

Now I won't derail the thread any more. Anyone wanna play a drinking game with me? Every time a lightsaber casts a shadow...

Jedi-Loreen
12-06-2009, 12:45 AM
You mean the blade casting a shadow, right? Yeah, that's always bugged me.

TimeRender
12-06-2009, 12:56 AM
One of these days someone is going to pick a single nit out of one of your post... If it isn't me then I at least hope I am here to see it happen. :P

Jedi-Loreen
12-06-2009, 01:06 AM
It's already happened, several times. I'm not perfect.

I just seem to see a lot of people say, "I want a blue saber", when they mean, "I want a blue bladed saber". I guess I'm just too literal sometimes.

mihunai
12-06-2009, 01:46 AM
A nitpicker, you are, J-Lo.
Strong with the picking, are you,
but pick too much, you sometimes do.
If clear, the message is, pick, you should not.
I see in the future,
pick on me, you will.

mTm

TimeRender
12-06-2009, 02:04 AM
Pick on you I might, if picking on you she chooses not.

Novastar
12-06-2009, 04:32 AM
Actually... it's pretty funny what discussion this thread started! :)

There are literally TONS of cross-references all over the place within films. Star Wars is no exception.

And going back to the fact that J-Lo mentioned the R2 & 3PO heiroglyphics in Raiders... well... guess what photo was used when I did the "Erviana Jones" video? :rolleyes: Yep, you guessed it. And naturally, I grafted in a CF board/diagram, hhahaha

"1138" goes completely bonkers too. Try looking it up on wikipedia--you'll be surprised at the references. I mentioned some of the 1138 things I knew on another thread... but here they are again (a few):

* Sure, sure, I used 1138 in reverse as the CD#1's price... :)
* Sure, sure, I used 1977 as the CD#1's price if you bundled it with CD#2. 1977 was the first year ANH was released.
* In BOP II, we had TK1138... TK1977... and TK666 (Necrolosis, lol) :D
* In BOP I & II... I mixed certain sounds (just for fun) at 1.138 and 11.38 seconds, and 1:38 minutes/seconds. I don't remember if I messed around with BOP II @ 11:38. Probably not. :D

Ok, ok... now for the "more famous" 1138 stuff:

* 1138 was the number that Tom Cruise has as a clearance code in Mission: Impossible. Bravo, echo, one, one. You figure it out. :)
* 1138 was the code that Matt Damon punched into the vault door in Ocean's Eleven.
* Yes... freakin' Maniac Mansion used it. lol
* I didn't know this until I read it, but I think in Raiders, some German is spoken by an actor which is 1138. (Eins, eins, drei, something) :)
* It's on the airplane in Raiders--the German one that explodes... where Ford first confronts the PILOT... who is none other than... Nick Gillard. :) Not kidding. Oh, and the big bald guy was also the big "Thuggee" dude in Temple of Doom. Same guy, splatter death x 2, no joke.
* Jedi Academy has a fairly buried easter egg regarding 1138...

...and it goes on forever. :)

If BOP III ever gets out there... be sure that I'll do SOME kind of refs. :D

Onli-Won Kanomi
12-06-2009, 05:23 AM
I didn't know about the R2 on the CE3K ship...lol

And 1138 is to Star Wars what 47 is to Star Trek lol

Blue Fox
12-06-2009, 05:30 AM
* I didn't know this until I read it, but I think in Raiders, some German is spoken by an actor which is 1138. (Eins, eins, drei, something) :)

That would be "Eins eins drei acht". My german isnt what it used to be, even though it is actually the 1st language I ever learned.

And I think '47' is from hitchhikers guide to the galaxy isnt it?

Shadar Al'Niende
12-06-2009, 08:45 AM
I believe that was http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/56/Answer_to_Life.png/175px-Answer_to_Life.png (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrases_from_The_Hitchhiker%27s_Guide_to_the_Galax y)

Jedi-Loreen
12-06-2009, 10:43 AM
Not trivia, but I just noticed the other day that 1138 is part of my IP address. :p

ComdtJustin
12-07-2009, 03:38 PM
Also not trivia, but I built a test pc at work and named it TK421. Nobody got it. :(

Eco
12-08-2009, 03:02 PM
[SIZE=3][COLOR=Blue]There's also a scene cut from when Han, Leia and 3PO are running to the Falcon. They run past a door with a yellow warning sign with red writing. There are captured Wampas inside the room. 3PO stops, and rips the sign off the door, leaving a top corner of the sign still there. You can see a couple frames as he runs past the door.

In a later scene where the Imperials have entered the Base, a group of Snow Troopers open the door and go inside and you hear them getting attacked by the Wampas.

I actually saw these cut scenes on some website a couple years ago, but they have been taken down.

That explains why there are Wampas in the base on the ESB level on the Star Wars Arcade game!
:D

TimeRender
12-08-2009, 03:18 PM
You mean the Star Wars Trilogy arcade game, Eco.

DarthRevenchist89
12-09-2009, 10:30 AM
The wampas play a big part in the Force Unleashed Hoth content. Luke unleashes them when you confront him in one part of echo base. The end of the level is kinda dumb in my opinion if they aren't going to make more.

Barmic Rin
12-10-2009, 03:46 AM
Not played the Hoth level of TFU, I refuse to buy a game for 1 level!!! (I know it'll be released as downloadable content soon!)

As for Vader & his two sabers:

In ROTJ, when Vader throws his saber at the walkway (the blade comes out the pommel on this bit too!!), causing Luke to fall, he starts walking down the stairs & calls his saber to him. As he heads into the shadows under the stairs, he finds Luke's saber on the floor.

When he is taunting Luke in the darkness, he has his lit saber in his right hand, and you can see Lukes saber reflecting in his left.

When Luke yells "NOOOO!" He pulls it out of Vaders hand, that's why Vader inhales so quickly & the camera is a close up of him. Originally, it was supposed to be a wider shot.

Conveniently, someone has stuck the duel on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRY5dl_oxvo

1:42 shows the blade coming from the wrong end.

3:01 for 'two sabers' (It's not lights on his belt, they can be seen at the same time)

TimeRender
12-10-2009, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the explanation. I guess I always just figured that was what happened so I never really saw it as a continuity error.

Jedi-Loreen
12-11-2009, 08:54 PM
I really can't see what you're talking about, Barmic.

Bear
12-20-2009, 04:56 PM
In the TV show Chuck during the 3D episode Chuck identifies a grenade as an IG-88 Thermite Charge.