PDA

View Full Version : Qui Gon saber shroud

B5813
12-03-2009, 11:49 AM
It's been my experience that when cutting a round aluminum tube it expands(at least when cutting it fully from end to end). I've been wonder from those who've made their own Qui Gon saber with the shroud overlay does the tube expand even a little on the end that is fully cut? I know one end remains uncut and completely connected in diameter but that may be somewhere around only an inch in length. Does the rest of the tubing tend to open up/expand at all or is the force of the uncut end enough to keep the whole diameter from expanding?

FenderBender
12-03-2009, 12:45 PM
Im now on number 13 of 20 to do and I have not found a whole lot of tension relief like I got with regular sink tube.

Pullo
12-03-2009, 01:41 PM
I made the shroud for my MHS Qui gon out of quite a thick piece of aluminium tube. It was 1.5 inch and when I cut the swept back wings of the open end I deffinatly felt the tube give a little bit, not much, not even enough to effect anything. My first attempt with 1.5 inch sink tube sprang open so much I wasn't happy with the result. I think the thicker the overlay the more reduced the "give " is.

B5813
12-03-2009, 05:12 PM
thanks for the input guys