PDA

View Full Version : First Time Hilt Build! Need Some Info For The Guts!

MakillaGorilla
11-30-2009, 02:26 PM
Whats up guys! Long time forum follower, first time poster! Hope you folks don't mind, but I have to ask a n00b question right off the bat. Here is a pic of my first saber build thus far:

http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/zz99/makillagorilla/SaberBuilder_render.png

The Pommel, Main Body, Extension, and Blade Holder were all ordered with Solar Flat Black when I ordered them yesterday (I'm ordering in chunks due to my financial situation, yay college fees!) and I plan to do a chrome/aluminum shroud from Sink Tube. with all that being presented, my question is this:

If I was to wire this up with a Lux V LED and eventually a Crystal Focus Board and recharge port, what kind of power would i need to keep this puppy bright? I'd like to go the Lithium Ion route with the recharge port, but how many should I use to make the power pack? Also, if i was to use a Crystal Focus, would I have enough room to incorporate all the necessities? Any other concerns or ideas you wonderful people might have, I'd love to hear em!

Shadar Al'Niende
11-30-2009, 04:01 PM
most people power a lux V with two 3.7 v protected cells (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/TrustFire-Protected-37V-900mAh-14500-Lithium-Battery-2-Pack-P342.aspx) sold here in the store.

That is what I am running. I am using a different soundboard as the CF is EXTREMELY hard to obtain. It may be different but im sure that will still work.

Jedi-Loreen
11-30-2009, 05:17 PM
I love the confident optimism that some new people exhibit when they say they are going to get a CF. :p

It's not impossible, just very difficult.

MakillaGorilla
11-30-2009, 06:55 PM
I had no idea the CF boards, were so rare and/or hard to obtain. Can anyone recommend a comparable alternative? I notice the Ultrasound 2.5 is out of stock :(

Jedi-Loreen
11-30-2009, 07:09 PM
Nothing really compares with a CF. It's always been the Holy Grail of saber boards, and it just keeps getting better with every revision. I've never had one, but I've gotten to handle a few CF sabers that belong to other people.

Nobody knows when there will be more UltraSound boards, either, since Ultra has to have a new run made.

I do not suggest getting a SaberSound board. They are new, there's really no documentation on them, no voltage or current regulation, and no support for them.

Right now your best bet may be to try to get a broken FX saber for the board. Maybe they'll be more broken ones around a month or so after Christmas. :p

After that there's only cheapy Hasbro toy sabers.

Shadar Al'Niende
11-30-2009, 08:22 PM
Nova conceptions (the company that produces the US 2.5's and Saber Sound boards) is rumored to not be making anymore saber boards for anyone anymore, that would mean no more US 2.5's after this run is over. This has not been confirmed but a couple of us have had the rumor from both Ultra and Nova Conceptions...

Kant Lavar
12-02-2009, 10:13 PM
I would suspect, if the rumor was true, that it would simply be that Ultra has no plans to do another run of US 2.5 - which, unless they were working on yet another upgrade, would be pretty disappointing. I don't think it was anything like that one or both got "cease-and-desist" letters from Lucas or one of the licensees, as Nova Conceptions still mentions the UltraSound on their site, still has the pictures of it up, and UltraSabers is still operating as a whole. I would imagine if someone got their dander up that much, there would have been immediate action taken.

I'm not saying it's impossible that Ultra simply doesn't want to do another run - it definitely is possible. I just think that they'd be making a mistake nearly on par with Fox canceling Firefly if they did so.

michael0825
12-03-2009, 01:38 PM
If you're just looking to power your saber stunt-style for now, consider getting the Lux V kit. It has everything you need. You can even choose the 2 AA option, meant for Li-Ion Trustfires. Or go with 6 AA but that takes up a lot of room inside the hilt.

Darth_DevilGuy
12-06-2009, 03:17 AM
if you're dead set on sound I'd recommend getting a hasbro FX (the expensive ones) and breaking it down for the board, the P4 LED's are an excellent choice for these, the greens especially are on par with a LUX 5 if you run 6V (absolute Maximum) through the board.