PDA

View Full Version : DPDT Latching Illuminated Switch Resistor

Super Bill
11-30-2009, 12:43 AM
Hey need some quick help. I picked up the Build Your Own Luxeon III Electronics Kit. With the 4 AA bat, and the 2.2ohm 5w resistor. I want to replace the switch with a DPDT Latching Illuminated Switch. Will I need to add or replace the resistor? If so what one?

Onli-Won Kanomi
11-30-2009, 02:43 AM
You would not replace the resistor that comes with the kit...that one is used on the LED...you would however need to add another resistor for the LED inside the illuminated switch. As for which one that depends on the colour of the LED in the switch [red has different need han blue or green] and what voltage of batteries you intend on using...if you intend to use alkalines then 4AA alkalines is 6 Volts, if you intend to use Nimh rechargeables then 4AA Nimhs is 4.8V. You will be using a LATCHING switch so look at the description under the particular colour of latching switch you want and it should tell you which resistor to use for the particular voltage you intend to supply.

Jedi-Loreen
11-30-2009, 04:24 AM
You are also going to need to make the switch hole larger, if you just used one of the regular switches that the LED kit comes with, since the those DPDT AntiVandal switches are bigger.

Rhyen Skytracker
11-30-2009, 04:53 AM
You will also need a bezel or activation box 4 with those switches. They are very long and you need something to act as a spacer.

Bezel: http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Bezel-for-illuminated-switches-P448.aspx

Activation Box 4: http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Activation-box-style-4-P415.aspx

xl97
11-30-2009, 08:29 AM
also... ;)

(later on, when you get/add a soundboard)

you might not want to run it directly off the battery pack.. as it will be on, even if saber is off (if you use kill plug, it will cut power to switch though)..

running it off the sound board, will only light thw switch when you power on the saber.

Super Bill
11-30-2009, 05:58 PM
Big help guys!!!

I got the right resistor in my cart, I have, it ran like this now (Bat +, old switch, LED, resistor, back to bat-)

Should I run the new resistor between the Bat+ and new AV Switch?

Also how big will the new switch hole be?