PDA

View Full Version : Interchangeable blades?

BRAVO872
11-28-2009, 09:43 AM
Can a 3/4 inch diameter blade and a 1 inch diameter blade be interchangeable in the same hilt?

Darth Vane
11-28-2009, 10:03 AM
Yep! they have a product in the store thats allows you to do just that.

you should realy read through the forums though before asking questions.
IF you did read and nothing came up its a good idea to post in the opining sentence " Ok so i have searched/Read through the forums and could not find the answer to this. so here is my question"

Edit: Uh... they used to have something that did that. i belive it was called a 3/4 reducer. it allowed you to take a one inch blade holder, stick a tube inside, and you woukld be able to use 3/4 blades.....

Shadar Al'Niende
11-28-2009, 10:13 AM
It can be found here.... (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/1-to-34-Reducer-P147.aspx)

Jedi-Loreen
11-28-2009, 10:23 AM
Yeah, you really need to do some reading. Both here, and on FX-Sabers.

Darth Vane
11-28-2009, 11:06 AM
It can be found here.... (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/1-to-34-Reducer-P147.aspx)

Well i gusse they still have them. lol gusse i did not look hard enough.....:lol:

Edit: lol i just realized i skiped over when searching for it!

BRAVO872
11-28-2009, 02:23 PM
Thanks so much for the link!

I have been researching on the FX saber forums for about 6 to 8 weeks.
The only things I have read through here is the tutorials but I must say they are excellent. I did a search of this forum for interchangeable blades but didn't really find what I was looking for. Since this question generated a good response I will spend some more time going over these forums. I was looking at a MR lightsaber a couple months ago and it just wasn't what I wanted so I started reading up on custom sabers.

No one lightsaber does everything I'm looking for so I am researching the possibility of three custom sabers with a lot of interchangeable parts.
A Master Saber, EL or LED doesn't matter at this stage with a full length blade, metal hilt, good sound board, possibly a driver board, with some type of in the pummel switch.
A Stunt Saber that can handle serious abuse, heavy blade 36" maximum, maybe use the master saber hilt with the electronics removed.
A WII Saber, very light weight, low cost, 32 inch maximum blade length, for experimenting with wii sword fighting.

Jedi-Loreen
11-28-2009, 03:20 PM
Hopefully you realize that EL blades won't be interchangeable with LED blades.

I don't really know why anyone would want to go with EL these days, it's old tech and the blades aren't as bright. You also can't power the EL inverter and a sound board with the same power source with out some modifications. If you get the right sound/driver board, everything will run of the same power source. LED is better.

If you build your "Master Saber" sturdily enough and mount the electronics well and used a thick walled blade for dueling, there's no reason you'd need a separate stunt saber. Just get a thin walled blade for showing off your Master Saber, and a thick walled for your Stunt. And maybe a shorter thin walled for your Wii saber.

BRAVO872
11-29-2009, 01:13 PM
I really appreciate the advice thats what I'm looking for the voice of experience.

At first the Lux3 seemed to be the best option because the Lux5 needed to much juice. I was looking for info comparing Lux3 to the K2 and found some interesting info about EL sabers, so I decided rather than rule it out, I'd just keep an open mind.

I have a couple of requirements for the project that seem to make a difference in the decision making process. Saber three for the game has to have a shorter, light weight, thin walled blade, possibly 3/4" inch diameter.
With the LED light source in the hilt instead of the blade like an EL it should save a little weight or at least provide a better balance. If it does turn out that I can use the same hilt for the Master and the Stunt saber then an LED would seem to be more cost effective. I also do not know how durable the EL blades are from what I have been able to find most "dueling" sabers are LED.