PDA

View Full Version : accent wires on snd/spkr/batt combo question

Onli-Won Kanomi
11-26-2009, 04:13 PM
Does the sound/speaker/battery combo come with wires for the accent LEDS preattached?

Because from the pics of the position of the holes for them on the card, and the pic of the position of the card on the holder, it looks like one could not add them oneself without dissassembling the card from the combo mounting to solder to them...which would kinda defeat the purpose of a preassembled combo module eh?

Invisas1979
11-27-2009, 01:44 AM
No it doesn't, as you don't need them to run off of the battery directly.

Someone correct me if Im wrong but depending on the board you're using it varies.

If using a MR board the sound will go to the sound wires from the board and likewise with the power. The accents run off of the led wires and need to be resistored.

Using a US 2.5 the accents run directly from the board, the sound and power will have separate pads also. Because the accents run directly off the board there is no need to resistor them.

Hope that helps

Jedi-Loreen
11-27-2009, 02:00 AM
That was not really helpful at all. It doesn't look like you really understood his concern.

And what does your post have to do with the MR/Hasbro boards? Those aren't sold in the store.

Onli-won is not a noob, he's been here for a while. I know exactly what he's saying, and it's a good point, you really can't solder the wires for accent LEDs onto the board without pulling it off the battery holder. I don't know if any wires come pre-soldered for those or not.

Maybe someone who's bought the combo will chime in, but you might also want to ask Tim, if you're thinking about buying one.

Onli-Won Kanomi
11-27-2009, 02:54 AM
Not quite a noob no, not after three years here lol, but I can still make really dumb noob mistakes like sending the design I want to use this with last night to Strydur at the wrong email address here I think...and on Thanksgiving yet - how rude [forgot it was American Thanksgiving for y'all til after my faux pas :-( Sorry Strydur]...and I didn't want to compound my error by sending another after I thought of this matter of the combo... making a Turkey of myself on Thanksgiving is one thing but Spam on Thanksgiving is unforgiveable eh? ;-)

So I thought I'd post it here in the meantime and see if someone who had bought one before might chime in with the answer whether they have accent lead wires or not...yes you got my concern right JLo and I realized now after looking at the pic again that that pic is actually of the old combo with the US 2.0/2.1 and doesnt even show the accent pads but the adhesive [glue? epoxy?] seems to be under where they would be on the 2.5 hence my concern, unless perhaps the 2.5 version has been assembled differently.

Jedi-Loreen
11-27-2009, 03:29 AM
If you compare pics of both boards, they seem to be laid out the same, except for the accent LED pads, or course. ;)

The 2.5 is all surface mount now, so it's a lower profile too, which is nice.

I think Tim uses double sided foam mounting tape to stick the board to the battery pack. So it probably wouldn't be that hard to pull the board lose to solder wires for the accent LEDs, but I'd be worried about breaking the blue jumper that's on the bottom of the board.