PDA

View Full Version : PVC Hilt Package

undescriptive
11-20-2009, 03:40 AM
Edited title for clarity - no solicitation! - undescriptive

Hi,
First post from a long time lurker....

I'm wondering if Jay-Gon would be interested in putting together a kit of parts for his PVC saber series (totally unassembled)

I'm mainly asking this, because trying to find PVC parts in the UK with a 1" internal diameter is almost impossible! None of the usual places you would go to get PVC parts stock these or equivalent pieces (for those people in the UK reading this, I have tried B&Q, Plumb Center, Wickes and Focus-Do-It-All)

is there any chance of being to mail order these pieces, or does someone in the UK have a supplier of 1" ID PVC (and attachments)?

These will mainly be for stunts and friends so they don't wreck my MHS saber

Thanks for your time,

Undescriptive

Costume & saber under construction....

mihunai
11-20-2009, 04:21 AM
A better approach would be to contact Jay-Gon personally, as this does look
like soliciting, which is a big no-no around here (ive been reminded several times myself).

mTm

undescriptive
11-20-2009, 06:24 AM
I would have PM'd Jay-Gon, however, I only have 1 post (2 now) and such I don't have PM access at the moment (only recieve and reply I believe)!

Thankyou for the message (and the PM you sent). would Tim like to setup a PVC package for sale in the shop? I'm sure many first time builders would love to play with something like that....

Rhyen Skytracker
11-20-2009, 06:53 AM
I think that is a good idea. Maybe just have a basic kit and let the people that buy it paint it ans customize it however they want. Could even have different style blade emitters too. I think they would sell pretty good, especially in this economy with people wanting to build starter sabers. You never know, it could happen.

Darth Securis
11-20-2009, 07:28 AM
I also think that would be a good idea, depending on the cost it could fit the budget of a lot of people that cant afford the MHS right now.

undescriptive
11-20-2009, 08:02 AM
Exactly I mean $40(or so) with the basic parts that Jay-Gon uses would be great (plus a blade)

If the heatsinks are big and manly enough, you could probably squeeze a lux3 in there with out it getting too hot, which allows a whole range of customisable budget sabers for us people who don't live in the USA! :)

Eco
11-20-2009, 09:23 AM
While the concept is good, I don't see this happening.
Jay-Gonn uses Lux I LEDs, which are small enough that they don't require a heatsink. No heatsink greatly simplifies the build process. (Believe me, my second saber was a PVC saber with a heatsink. PITB.)

Unfortunately, as of February 2010, Luxeon is discontinuing the Lux I series. (And possibly all Luxeon products other than the Rebel, but do NOT quote me on that.) The time between now and February is barely enough time for Tim to get the kit added to the shop, at which point he'll pretty much have to redesign it to include a heatsink.

Not practical.

Besides, this is indeed a DIY site, not a spoonfeed DIY site.
To Undescriptive, try searching for a hardware store based here in the States that will ship to you. (Though at that point it would probably cost just as much to do a TCSS sinktube saber.)

Rhyen Skytracker
11-20-2009, 09:25 AM
The CREE LEDs work great too. You can even drive them with a economy hasbro board.

cardcollector
11-20-2009, 04:15 PM
c'mon guys...

PVC sabers are like the easiest things to make! 4 hours and you have a glowy bladed flashlight. I think Jay gon should sell his tutorial if we are talking about kits.

It's that good, but we shouldn't talk about this in any depth until Tim gives his approval IMO.

undescriptive
11-21-2009, 03:20 AM
It's that good, but we shouldn't talk about this in any depth until Tim gives his approval IMO.

agreed

Tim has spent a huge ammount of time and effort getting these products out. I don't want to go stomping on his toes!