PDA

View Full Version : ever use your saber as a flashlight?

a fearsome grue
11-17-2009, 12:09 PM
I was thinking if ever I got another job as a security guard, I could bring my saber along (without the blade) and use it as a flashlight. Certainly bright enough.

Darth Securis
11-17-2009, 01:30 PM
And dangerous too! Don't security guards shine there flashlights in the eyes of perps as a defensive tactic?
With the lightsaber the perp would sue you for damage to the cornea. lol

a fearsome grue
11-17-2009, 01:55 PM
not in my line of work. I just look around and report goings on with the building. I don't confront people. Just observe and report

Kant Lavar
11-17-2009, 03:57 PM
Doesn't matter. The LED is still bright as hell. Don't tell me you never looked at the LED itself while it was on. :cool:

Rhyen Skytracker
11-17-2009, 04:12 PM
I use mine as flashlights around the house all the time. I always have several of them laying around everywhere, so when the power goes out I have light, very, very, very bright light. lol You do have to be very careful with them though, they can cause damage to your eyes.

cannibal869
11-17-2009, 05:38 PM
I use mine as flashlights around the house all the time. I always have several of them laying around everywhere, so when the power goes out I have light, very, very, very bright light. lol You do have to be very careful with them though, they can cause damage to your eyes.

LOL... I have to admit I've done this a lot as well. They're just so....handy ;)

$tarkiller
11-17-2009, 05:51 PM
I do too. The Seoul P4 is plenty bright enough, lol. Would your boss let you?

Eco
11-17-2009, 06:11 PM
When the power goes out, forget leaving the blade behind, I just carry mine around and use it as a lantern!

If it's one of those security jobs where you get to carry a tonfa... Well, A TCSS Tonfa adapter and a nice stubby thick-wall blade would probably work pretty well as an actual tonfa!

annon
11-17-2009, 08:30 PM
Just after I built my first saber, I dropped the blade retention screw under the stove. I went looking around for my flashlight...with my saber in my hand *facepalm*
don't worry, I eventually figured it out.:rolleyes:

DJMoonbass
11-17-2009, 08:35 PM
i just did that last night when out power went out.

Lord Dottore Matto
11-18-2009, 12:13 AM
I have a news flash for you folks...they ARE friggin' flashlights!:roll::mrgreen:

$tarkiller
11-18-2009, 12:30 AM
I have a news flash for you folks...they ARE friggin' flashlights!:roll::mrgreen:

=( =/ =(

Novastar
11-18-2009, 01:15 AM
I've used my Luxeon V blue direct drive saber (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os7TxBQfEZs) many many times to create light so that I could see everything.

The added benefit of the Lux V blue/royal blues is that they make pastel/neon colored items BRIGHT AS HECK!

Try it. Like... grab a bunch of those colored marking pens... pink, yellow, orange... or even post-it notes. Wait til' it's dark. Go freaky Friday on 'em, and not only will you have some CRAZY light... you'll illuminate the heck out of those items. :)

Additionally, I've used my Lux V blue saber to read super faint "imprinting" on things like microchips (yes, even CF!!) and the like. Faint text stands out like a sore thumb.

When the power goes out, forget leaving the blade behind, I just carry mine around and use it as a lantern!

If it's one of those security jobs where you get to carry a tonfa... Well, A TCSS Tonfa adapter and a nice stubby thick-wall blade would probably work pretty well as an actual tonfa!

Kant Lavar
11-18-2009, 01:31 AM
Hm. I've got a royal blue LED 'round here somewhere. I'll have to try that one.

And I suppose I should come clean. A couple months ago during a fairly widespread power outage after a major storm, my brother and I went out at night to determine how far it went. And we walked. And we had lightsabers, both to see things and to ensure those folks out on bikes and in cars didn't run into us. People thought those were the coolest thing ever, but refused to believe me when I said I had built them. :cool:

thejedilestat
11-18-2009, 02:27 AM
i use them all the time when the power is out to witch happens here all the time kinda why i wanted a white k2 =P

i allways make sure to tell my wife that my lightsabers do have there place in our house lol her main complaint is about the sound but ehh one day i will put a kill switch on one of my sabers:cool:

Eco
11-18-2009, 12:43 PM
ehh one day i will put a kill switch on one of my sabers:cool:

So you can't turn your saber off right now?
You should probably get on that. :D

Darth Securis
11-18-2009, 02:28 PM
So you can't turn your saber off right now?
You should probably get on that. :D

lol...that would be funny, an always on saber... no, he means he wants a kill switch to disable the sound but allow the LED to be powered.
So I guess he is direct driving the LED and just wants to cut power to the sound board.

Rhyen Skytracker
11-18-2009, 04:59 PM
You can just use a switch on the speaker itself too. That way you will still have the card driving the LED.

Novastar
11-18-2009, 05:25 PM
Better yet, a quick-disconnect on the speaker. Sure, a switch may sound better, but--unless it's a really tiny one, a q/d is better. Well... unless you have plenty of space in your saber. I never do. :D

But yeah, another thing--I've noticed that sabers are MUCH better as overall "torches" (with the blade installed) versus flashlights. I mean... I've never really liked flashlights ANYhow. They don't flood the light out the way I'd prefer.

To me, an ideal "flashlight" would be a Luxeon V with no optics. That's just me. My preference. I like an aerial switch and brandy, that's just how I am...

Tomoyo
11-18-2009, 05:29 PM
I built one from leftover parts I had around specifically for that purpose. A bright P4 white LED with a recharge port. Best idea ever.

astromech_kuhns
11-18-2009, 05:30 PM
ECO, me to, forget the flash light saber mafia. we are now the lantern saber mafia! proud carrier of a lantern saber.

yes i go through my halls real late sometimes and flip on the good old MR.

Koda Vonnor
11-24-2009, 07:22 AM
I only tried it once, when I had to give my car a jump in the middle of the night. I couldn't find the old maglight and I always know where I can find a lightsaber. So I grabbed one and popped the hood, but when I went to clip on the wires to the battery, I was suddenly faced with two gray-colored rubber terminal boots instead of a red one and a black one.

yes, all my sabers are green, why do you ask? :rolleyes:

psab keel
11-24-2009, 08:40 AM
I've used mine many times as a flashlight. For those concerned about the retinal damage or blinding someone, what about using it as a flashlight with a blade plug? Or else make a special safety plug that will diffuse the light and still make the light usable without blinding anybody. A flashlight plug.

Eco
11-24-2009, 09:18 AM
I only tried it once, when I had to give my car a jump in the middle of the night. I couldn't find the old maglight and I always know where I can find a lightsaber. So I grabbed one and popped the hood, but when I went to clip on the wires to the battery, I was suddenly faced with two gray-colored rubber terminal boots instead of a red one and a black one.

yes, all my sabers are green, why do you ask? :rolleyes:
Lol.
Last night I learned that a red car under a red saber looks white.
I was pretty confused, I wasn't sure whose car was in the driveway. Lol

sekrogue1985
11-25-2009, 02:13 PM
as the wifey puts it all you have there is an over glorified flashlight with sound!

Hageshii01
01-04-2010, 10:35 PM
That function came in VERY useful one night when my roommate dropped something behind his dresser drawer; suffice to say my lightsaber came to the rescue, except everything back there was bathed in the SAME GREEN GLOW, so he had some trouble picking the thing out from all the other wires back there. lol

gundamaniac
01-04-2010, 11:51 PM
I love power outages. Gives me an excuse to whip out the lightsaber to see in the dark =DDD

vargose
01-05-2010, 09:42 AM
We used my lightsaber once as a flashlight when trying to scare the bats away who would sleep on our porch.

And I used it pretty often for other illumination needs. Its the brightest stinkin flash light I have ever owned.