PDA

View Full Version : weathering a powder coated part

B5813
11-12-2009, 06:20 AM
Just wondering if I were to take a black wrinkle powder coated part and spot sand it for a weathered effect would that compromise the edge of the PC/sanded areas causing it to eventually flake?

xl97
11-12-2009, 08:24 AM
its possible...

I tend to treat PC as a more durable 'paint'...

all the same rules apply...IMHO..

FenderBender
11-12-2009, 08:26 AM
Depends on the individual PC. Like gloss black, I had to take it to the wire brush on my bench grinder to get it off of a part, even paint stripper would barely touch it. Flat black, can be sanded well, just matte clear over it when you're done weathering.

eastern57
11-12-2009, 11:46 AM
High-grit wet-sanding will preserve the surface enough so that it won't fade. It will take you a long to break up the surface to get down to the aluminuim, but you're not "scraping" the finish off... it more of a gradual rub-down... ~1000g or higher

If you use too high a grit (~400g or less), it digs into the coating too deeply and that will increase fading. It doesn't really "flake" off, but if you leave the surface rough, it'll fade faster.

xl97
11-12-2009, 12:22 PM
while PC 'can' flake in some area.. (usually after a scratch or gouge)..

if PC in general is 'flaking off'... bring it back and have it re-done.. they didnt a crappy job..

either cleaning the part before dusting
not outgassing the part before dusting
not having a good ground/connection before dusting. :)

B5813
11-13-2009, 10:21 AM
I've never had issue with the results coming out of the shop here. My intention was to flat black a ribbed/v-groove extension and then take a fairly light grit sand paper to the raised areas for subtle, not intense weathering. It should be fairly safe. Not like spray paint flaking anyway.

eastern57
11-13-2009, 05:42 PM
Oh. In that case, it should work fine. ;)

Crystal Chambers
01-15-2010, 09:09 AM
Does anyone know what happens in more intense conditions like if you strike it with a file to make deep scratches?

Maybe a good idea is to ask Tim how much he'd charge to have some seconds or scrap stock powdercoated for testing if that would be possible

eastern57
01-15-2010, 05:57 PM
Depends on how mad you are... but my guess is that it would scratch.

Kal El Rah
01-15-2010, 09:08 PM
Does anyone know what happens in more intense conditions like if you strike it with a file to make deep scratches?

Maybe a good idea is to ask Tim how much he'd charge to have some seconds or scrap stock powdercoated for testing if that would be possible

PC is a baked on polymer/plastic coating, it is very hard, chem resistant and in general 1 of the best innovations of the 20th/21st century, the only flaw is that you can in certain circumstances the possibility to chip/crack the PC or if you will totally chip it off a part, hard to do but it can/has happened. Sanding/wire brushing as stated by Fender can be used to get the weathering effect you are looking for.

Skottsaber
01-23-2010, 08:09 AM
So if you filed some off you wouldn't have to clear coat it?

Crystal Chambers
01-23-2010, 10:51 AM
Others have said filing is risky and could result in chipping.
I would think IF you didn't chip it with a file then a clear would prevent the filed areas from chipping after.

Seems to me that if you used a rotary tool on a high speed with a fine tooth cut/grind disc you could grind out some deeper scratches or even use an engraving tip to etch some finer scratches.

Would these ideas work?

Testing on scrap material is always a safe route to go.