PDA

View Full Version : Silent Jedi's costume

Silent_Jedi
11-09-2009, 08:11 PM
Just thought you all would like to see my costume. Wore it to the last day of the Maryland Renfest. I totally ruined the $20 boots cause of the mud, but I ordered a custom pair there. Hope that it'll be good enough to join the Rebel Legion.

http://hphotos-snc1.fbcdn.net/hs201.snc1/6818_101436656543764_100000322917505_35050_1779266 _n.jpg

Jedi-Loreen
11-09-2009, 08:54 PM
Ok.

So where is it?

Saddy
11-09-2009, 10:48 PM
Nice costume. :)

Jedi-Loreen
11-09-2009, 11:25 PM
Ok, now I see it.

What color are the tabards? Blue, gray, slate? If they are bluish tinted, then that would probably be considered New Republic Jedi costume.

When you take submission photos, do not wear a white T-shirt, or T-shirt of any kind that will be visible under your inner tunic. And don't wear your tinted glasses in the photos.

Be sure to review the Costume Standards and what photos you'll need to submit before you take them. (after you get your new boots, of course)

Do you have a forum account? It's not a bad idea to post some costume photos and ask what Full Members think about it. Better to get advice if you might need to change anything, first. All my suggestions will make your submission process much smoother.

Darth Abominor
11-10-2009, 10:31 AM
What if his 'toon' wears glasses?

I had the same comment spoken to me by a d*psh*t from NYJedi at the NYC 2009 Halloween Parade. I was playing a character that is not from the SW Universe, but from the war-torn space of WarHammer 40,000.. they carry Power Swords there and yup, wear goggles, visors & glasses in that galaxy.

Also, I think the outfit looks fine. Simple, Jedish, easy to modify should you decide to do so. I would arrange the tabards a bit wider spaced, but overall a good job. Nice classical colours.

Shadar Al'Niende
11-10-2009, 01:53 PM
What if his 'toon' wears glasses?

I had the same comment spoken to me by a d*psh*t from NYJedi at the NYC 2009 Halloween Parade. I was playing a character that is not from the SW Universe, but from the war-torn space of WarHammer 40,000.. they carry Power Swords there and yup, wear goggles, visors & glasses in that galaxy.

Also, I think the outfit looks fine. Simple, Jedish, easy to modify should you decide to do so. I would arrange the tabards a bit wider spaced, but overall a good job. Nice classical colours.

I think you missed the point of this conversation entirely...

J-Lo is (what i believe personally) one of THE top costumers on this forum. Her knowledge of props/costumes is unparalleled and is in the RL to boot... Her advice had to do directly with his comment as follows:

Hope that it'll be good enough to join the Rebel Legion.

Please refrain from posting edited curse words and what could be viewed as argumentative replies to a well respected council member. She gave perfectly sound advice in regards to a specific comment, maybe read a little more closely next time. :rolleyes:

Jedi-Loreen
11-10-2009, 02:45 PM
Wow, DA, you made it sound like I was totally bashing his costume, which I was not. :rolleyes:

As Shadar pointed out, I was responding to SJ's last (and 2nd to last) sentence.

I wasn't telling him not to wear his glasses while in costume, but just to take his submission photos without them. Though personally, I'd rather not see people wearing glasses while costuming in public. A lot of us who do normally wear glasses, myself included, will wear contact lenses while in costume to help with the look, you don't see anyone in any of the 6 movies wearing regular glasses. I do understand that some people don't want to, or can't, wear contact lenses.

And who said anything about "'toons"? I don't even understand that question. :confused:

I was merely advising him how to make it as easy and painless of a costume submission process to Rebel Legion as possible. I've been a member of the RL for 7 years. Most new people applying for new membership need a few tweaks to their costumes.

I think SJ has a decent costume that could just use a few tweaks to make it better. I look at costumes with a more discerning and critical eye than the casual costumer.

If you think that makes me an "elitist", then so be it.

There's a reason why LFL recognizes the Rebel Legion as the premier Star Wars "Good Guy" costuming group. We are the elite. ;)

And Membership does have it's perks and privileges.

cannibal869
11-10-2009, 02:54 PM
whoa... I had no idea that costuming was taken so...uh... seriously...

<shuffling over to stand in front of (and hide) next year's Halloween Obi-Wan costume>:oops::rolleyes:

Lan-Ja Hamil
11-10-2009, 03:36 PM
whoa... I had no idea that costuming was taken so...uh... seriously...

<shuffling over to stand in front of (and hide) next year's Halloween Obi-Wan costume>:oops::rolleyes:

You and me both cannibal!

Jedi-Loreen
11-10-2009, 03:50 PM
If you want to belong to certain costuming clubs, like the RL and the 501st, it is.

Darth Abominor
11-10-2009, 06:13 PM
Believe me folks, I'm not bashing J-Lo for being a Cos Nazi, not in the slightest.

I was just making a point that unless you are striving to join a VERY SERIOUS group of players, then work within your physical limitations, with or without optics, as you can.

And the edited word was aimed at a twit from NYC, not J-Loreen in any way. I hope that made itself clear enough but ifit should not, forgive the direction of the flak.

Silent_Jedi
11-10-2009, 07:58 PM
Wow..didn't intend for this thread to turn out this way :P. But I shall move it along away from the bad vibes...

The tabard, pants and shirt (a sidebuttoned like Luke's from ROTJ) are in charcoal grey. The shirt was made when I was 70 pounds heavier, so it kinda sagged on me, which is why you saw my t-shirt under. I plan on having another shirt done to fit better.

The boots I ordered won't be in for quite some time, but thought about also buying the replica boots that are coming out soon...

I also have a set where the tabards and pants are in hunter green and the undertunic is a brown robe, but not a fan of it opening up, lol.

I'll ofcorse not have my glasses on when I get the picture taken, however I am nearsighted and cringe at the idea of putting in contacts.

The "toon" I was heading torwards is a jedi profession known as "Jedi Shadow". Jedi that seek out and eliminate focal points of the dark side before it goes out of hand. Figured that grey is an earthtone of sorts.

DragonStar
11-11-2009, 07:35 PM
That last bit about the focal points of the dark side is a good story, you should include it in your submission text.

Bad vibes or good vibes (gray vibes? ;) ) aside, J-Lo's comments come directly from recent mandates and/or strong suggestions from the Legion Costume Judges regarding generic Jedi submissions. If your T-shirt is showing, your application will be rejected. If you are wearing glasses, IIRC it will be politely suggested that you remove them and retake your submission photos.

I'll chime in and say that your Jedi costume is better than the vast majority of Jedi costumes that the average Star Wars fan has put together, and you'll probably get approved with some tweaks that J-Lo has already suggested. I'd further add this. Gray tabbards are technically within the color guidelines for Old Republic Jedi, and your covertec clip puts you in that category. But your costume really says New Republic to me. I'd look into a D-ring and "big buckle" to make this a New Repub Jedi, I think it is a better fit for what you're rocking in that photo.

If you like your belt and covertec and want to go Old Republic, I suggest you redo the tabbards. Everything else about your costume works for an OR Jedi but three changes in the tabbards would clinch it. First, make them as close in color to outer tunic as possible. This is not technically necessary, but IMO it would make for a more harmonious match and deflect potential questions about your color choices. Second, shorten the length. Your tunic is already quite long, so if I were you I'd make the tabbards come perhaps 1 inch below the tunic hem. Finally, introduce a dart in the tunics so that the ends lay parallel instead of crossing below your Obi. This will be the path of least resistance. The quick and easy path, so to speak.

Silent_Jedi
11-12-2009, 08:27 PM
I was really going for a OR type of character. The Tabbards are actually shorter...I just kept adjusting them. They come about equal to the length of the overtunic, but I did like how they hung. I do have three leather pouches on my belt, they are really rifle bullet pouches I got from a Bass Pro Shop and I adjusted to thread through the belt. I do have plans on making a few capsules as well.

I'm not a fan of the D-ring. I made one saber with one on it and used two different hooks. The short one (like the ones sold in the CCS) was a quick draw, but would fall off if it rocked too hard. The long hook was secure, but would get caught up on the ring...so I'll stick with the Covertek.

I had read the submission rules for the costume some time ago, and didn't intend for that photo to be the one I submitted...It says that I'd have to be with a neutral background behind me. As soon as I can get the last bits together (really wanting those replica boots) I'll submit the photo and display it here.

Darth Securis
11-17-2009, 02:38 PM
Yours looks better than my 1st Jedi costume. Here's a pic...lol (I'm on the left side):
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee38/__darkside__/Misc%20images/th_IMG_1615crop.jpg (http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee38/__darkside__/Misc%20images/IMG_1615crop.jpg)
The costuming groups can be tough to get into. I'm not sure about the RL but with the 501st it is very challenging to get your foot in the door. I did about 6 months of research sourcing materials and different components for my Anakin costume and it was about 1 year in the making. Some of the costumes like Boba Fett and Vader take a couple of years to get all the accurate parts. It was definitely worth it though, they are a great group of people and we have lots of fun. We get to do and see things that regular fans would never get the opportunity for. Here is my Anakin:
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee38/__darkside__/Misc%20images/th_IMG_1616crop.jpg (http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee38/__darkside__/Misc%20images/IMG_1616crop.jpg) http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee38/__darkside__/Misc%20images/th_IMG_1634crop.jpg (http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee38/__darkside__/Misc%20images/IMG_1634crop.jpg)
Contacts aren't that bad. Here is a pic of my special contacts for my Anakin:
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee38/__darkside__/Misc%20images/th_IMG_1788crop.jpg (http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee38/__darkside__/Misc%20images/IMG_1788crop.jpg)
And a little pic for advice on how to design tabs to hang correctly:
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee38/__darkside__/Misc%20images/th_New130.jpg (http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee38/__darkside__/Misc%20images/New130.jpg)