PDA

View Full Version : tritium light for crystal

a fearsome grue
11-08-2009, 09:45 PM
if you want your crystal to glow, consider using a tritium keychain. They're available in a number of colors and are very small.

From what I understand, they're not dangerous though they are radioactive. They emit a glow and will do so for a number of years (10 to 20).

Despite their alleged safety, I'm not able to find any on-line retailers who sells them.

I just think it would be cool to have a glowing crystal core for someone's saber.

thanks for reading!

Lord Maul
11-08-2009, 09:47 PM
Why not just use a LED? That's what I did on Spectra. Basically everyone uses LEDs for them since they are small and easy to fit in.
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n187/aluke_2006/MHS%20Saber/th_IMG_4277.jpg (http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n187/aluke_2006/MHS%20Saber/?action=view&current=IMG_4277.jpg)

Why reinvent the wheel comes to mind

a fearsome grue
11-08-2009, 09:51 PM
spares your battery any more drain?

I dunno, just an artistic suggestion. Some people I've heard use acrylic aquarium jewels for their crystal. Just thought it would be cool to glow without the aid of batteries.

cardcollector
11-08-2009, 09:52 PM
That is a cool idea. saves wiring too.

Radioactive is a problem though...:rolleyes:

Lord Maul
11-08-2009, 09:55 PM
I think that the drain is pretty nominal... I have a 7.2V 1100mAh Li Ion battery pack in that saber, and the crystal chamber LED is a prolight RGB. I still get 1.5+ hours of run time with it, which is all I really need for a single stretch.

xwingband
11-08-2009, 10:47 PM
Tritium is highly regulated. Not nearly as bright as people may want too. It's used a lot for gun sights. It'll also "die" in a few years (less than a decade).

Lord Maul
11-08-2009, 11:04 PM
I recall hearing something that said that it is the most expensive legally traded item in the world, per gram. X is right, it's used for military gun sights so that they can be seen in the dark.

ARKM
11-08-2009, 11:27 PM
Despite their alleged safety, I'm not able to find any on-line retailers who sells them.

I hope you meant online wholesalers, not retailers. I just Googled tritium keychains and found plenty of online retailers that are selling them.

Jedi-Loreen
11-09-2009, 12:09 AM
You're also really limited on colors.

Green and "white"? Not sure how they get that, unless they heavily dope it with other chemicals like that have to do to phosphorous to get white EL wire and film.

Count Malik
11-09-2009, 12:17 AM
cool, but i personally would make sure to fine one that last awhile... but the radioactive part scares me haha

Novastar
11-09-2009, 12:20 AM
"like that have to do to phosphorous" ????

What the heck?

[somewhat tongue-in-cheek here, by the way, people... :D .... ]

Jedi-Loreen
11-09-2009, 01:10 AM
I'll just explain it for people who don't read the EL forums.

Phosphorous is what give EL wire it's glow.

It phosphoresces when a high frequency AC voltage is applied to it.

Since phosphorous is naturally a bluish green, the way EL wire gets most of its various colors is with a colored sheathing, except for aqua, which has a transparent sheathing.

That won't work with white, so they have to "dope" the phosphorous with various chemicals to add impurities so that it will glow white.

KuroChou
01-15-2010, 11:35 PM
The radioactivity isn't an issue at all. The actual tritium rod/ring is usually packaged in an acrylic "sheath" that blocks all beta particles from escaping it. The alpha emissions have an effective range of about 1/8" or less, and the actual effect is far less damaging than a dental X-ray.

DJMoonbass
01-18-2010, 08:59 PM
duuuuuuuuuuuuuude! look at the dates in the post before posting in them. we here frown on reviving old threads. just a friendly FYI. ;)

Lord Maul
01-18-2010, 09:00 PM
By yelling at him for posting useful content in an old thread, you revived a 3 day old thread in the process.

Reviving old threads just to say "cool saber!" is frowned upon. If you have something to add, like KuroChou did, then it is not a problem.

DJMoonbass
01-18-2010, 10:22 PM
i didnt yell at him. but okay point.... well at least now he knows about reviving. even if it doesnt apply to this. ;)