PDA

View Full Version : CCFL's?

a fearsome grue
11-08-2009, 09:32 PM
cold cathode fluorescent lamps, like the kind that light up your laptop display. They come in a variety of colors.

I can't attest to their fragility but it might work if you want to not spar with your saber so equipped.

Also, power supply might be an issuer too. A lot of model kits I've seen made and illuminated with these have had to have 110 volt power adapters. There might be an option for C or D cell batteries, I haven't gotten that far yet.

Whether they are made in the lengths of saber blades, I am unsure but if they do, it would make a very cool lighting technique but like I say, they are fragile. I'm sure the saber blade could made to properly diffuse the light of the CCFL. Perhaps color the blade and have a white CCFL through the center of the blade to make it appear more realistic instead of one solid color.

these things are cool and I'm just adding my 2 cents.

thanks for reading!

cardcollector
11-08-2009, 09:51 PM
They may be cool, but are they brighter than a Lux III or even a Lux V?

Also, you said they are very fragile. That is a HUGE negative! 99.99% would prefer a slightly dimmer duelable blade.

Sound like you're trying to come up with new ideas, that's good.

But in my opionion, here you're trying to reinvent the wheel...

FenderBender
11-09-2009, 08:02 AM
There has also already been "Plasma" sabers. Which is the gas in the glass method of making a saber. It's old tech now, didn't really catch on and was VERY fragile and expensive.

obi-one
11-09-2009, 09:50 PM
Now that you brought the topic to the table...

Do you any of you guys still got the plans for a plasma saber?

Lord Maul
11-09-2009, 09:58 PM
Those sabers are ancient... Xwing can help out. I think he still has one. The one cool feature that I remember was that you can adjust the speed of the ignition, from the slow ep. V Vader to the lightning fast ep. V Luke.

psab keel
11-10-2009, 12:04 AM
I've been into this hobby since the days of plasma sabers (and used to own one back in the day) and would say that if you're interested in this type of blade method, that you're better off getting one rather than trying to convert a cold cathode into a saber blade.

Obviously this would only be a display piece.

So cool to think of what we can build now compared to the limitations of those days!

Darth Securis
11-18-2009, 02:49 PM
Sound like you're trying to come up with new ideas, that's good.

(but)....you're trying to reinvent the wheel...

lol as I was reading the first post I was thinking about my post and this is exactly what I was planning on typing