PDA

View Full Version : Recharge Port Questions

Shadar Al'Niende
11-05-2009, 03:49 PM
So i have done some research regarding the wiring of a recharge port as I would like to incorporate it into my next saber. My question has more to do with the recharge port itself...

I am planning on having a crystal chamber in the pommel of my saber. Because of this i will need to mount the recharge port in the hilt and am considering doing this in one of othe fluted sections of the hilt near the pommel so that it would be slightly more recessed. I am not sure if the port is small enough to fit in a fluted um...flute. Thing.

I don't mind putting it in the hilt directly above the switch or some other spot in the side of the hilt, but am not sure of a copule things. This is where your opinions and knowledge come in... How does a port mount in the hilt flush? Is it small enough to fit inside a fluted piece so as to sit a bit lower in the saber? There is a nut on the recharge port, where does that go? If not on the outside (it is not curved like the OD of the hilt) then on the inside? If so how does it stay in, epoxy? I think that is all of my questions :D

Thanks guys!

Kant Lavar
11-06-2009, 03:38 AM
If you have Tim do the hole for you, he can tap it so that it'll lock in like a screw. It's a bit of a pain to get in there, but still a bit worth it.

Also, Jay-Gon has a method where he mills out the hole, mounts the recharge port in a piece of PVC pipe with the same or similar thickness to the nut which it replaces, then cuts the pipe to let him slip the whole thing inside, then when the recharge port is aligned with its hole in the hilt, the PVC snaps back into its original shape and holds the recharge port in place.

Shadar Al'Niende
11-06-2009, 07:41 AM
If you have Tim do the hole for you, he can tap it so that it'll lock in like a screw. It's a bit of a pain to get in there, but still a bit worth it.

Exactly what i had in mind! What size Drill and Tap? Does it sit above the hilt this way? and how much?

FenderBender
11-06-2009, 08:30 AM
9/32 drill 5/16 -32 tap

I did this on the Aurora and the Sithsbane. Works great. I keep the nut on tightened all the way down as a shim and this way the recharge port is flush with the outside of the hilt.

Shadar Al'Niende
11-06-2009, 08:32 AM
Thanks!

Tim doesn't offer this service so I would have to do this myself?

I only see a 6, 8, and 10-32 ... i might be missing something...

FenderBender
11-06-2009, 08:37 AM
yup, you'd have to source and buy the tap to do it yourself, just like me:D

Obi-Ben
11-06-2009, 09:38 AM
I can't tell you exactly how things will work out or what you should do, but I can tell how how my recharge port looks in fluted piece of my hilt. Actually, rather than trying to explain in uncertain terms what it looks like, let me take a picture...

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/5893/img0565d.jpg
http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/8394/img0566g.jpg

As you can see, I used a nut on the outside to secure the port to the hilt. Other people (Jaygon comes to mind) have used different setups where it is secured to an inside pvc assembly. The way I did it, it doesn't stick too far out of the hilt, but I suppose you could put a nut on the inside end of the recharge port so it sits more flush with the outside.

Shadar Al'Niende
11-06-2009, 10:07 AM
Excellent!

Man, you guys rock!!! Question for you Obi ben, did you drill and tap that yourself, if so how and what size? Did you do it so that you could screw it in or just sit in the hole with the nut to secure it?

FenderBender
11-06-2009, 10:23 AM
Looks like He did it the way I used to. Counter sink the 21/64 hole and push the port through and put the nut on the outside. Works good, but I am favoring more streamlined looks of late. Jay's method works great, I just usually have a hard time giving that much interior real estate up for the PVC clamp.

EDIT: You need a mill or a GOOD drill press to use end mills for counter sinking and such.

Obi-Ben
11-06-2009, 10:36 AM
Excellent!

Man, you guys rock!!! Question for you Obi ben, did you drill and tap that yourself, if so how and what size? Did you do it so that you could screw it in or just sit in the hole with the nut to secure it?

I really wish I could take credit, but Tim did it for me. If you want to use this method, just let him know that you want the hole countersunk to allow the nut to sit on the outside. The recharge port itself doesn't screw in because the hole isn't threaded. I'm not sure if you could even thread a hole for a recharge port. In any case, yes, it just sits in the hole with the nut to secure it.

Shadar Al'Niende
11-06-2009, 11:08 AM
In any case, yes, it just sits in the hole with the nut to secure it.

Forgive me for sounding stupid...what keeps it from coming out then, is there some way you secured it on the outside?

Jedi-Loreen
11-06-2009, 11:49 AM
Wow, you guys aren't paying attention do different parts of this thread.

Obi-Ben, you can thread a hole for the recharge port, Fender just said he does it. I know other smiths do, too.

9/32 drill 5/16 -32 tap

I did this on the Aurora and the Sithsbane. Works great. I keep the nut on tightened all the way down as a shim and this way the recharge port is flush with the outside of the hilt.

yup, you'd have to source and buy the tap to do it yourself, just like me:D

Shadar, how many times does Obi-Ben need to say that his has the nut on the outside, holding his recharge port in his hilt. He even took photos. And you even quoted him saying so in your last post. :rolleyes: What are you not understanding?

I can't tell you exactly how things will work out or what you should do, but I can tell how how my recharge port looks in fluted piece of my hilt. Actually, rather than trying to explain in uncertain terms what it looks like, let me take a picture...

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/5893/img0565d.jpg
http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/8394/img0566g.jpg

As you can see, I used a nut on the outside to secure the port to the hilt. Other people (Jaygon comes to mind) have used different setups where it is secured to an inside pvc assembly. The way I did it, it doesn't stick too far out of the hilt, but I suppose you could put a nut on the inside end of the recharge port so it sits more flush with the outside.

Forgive me for sounding stupid...what keeps it from coming out then, is there some way you secured it on the outside?

Shadar Al'Niende
11-06-2009, 12:00 PM
I get that he said he had the nut on the outside, that would keep it from slipping through the hole to the INSIDE of the hilt, but what keeps it from coming out to the OUTSIDE of the hilt, the wires?! I am just not understanding. For instance, if you use a standard mom switch from the store...the plastic nut goes on the outside to keep it from falling back into the hilt, the box part under it tightens against the hilt to keep it from falling out the other way, i am not understanding what keeps the recharge port from doing this since in This Picture (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Assets/ProductImages/21jack.jpg) i don't see what would anchor it inside the hilt...

Is it just that little ledge thing that keeps it in? or does that go through the hole as well?

Jedi-Loreen
11-06-2009, 12:11 PM
Yes, it's that "ledge" that keeps it in the hilt. It's a lot larger diameter than the threaded part that you make the hole for. I thought you could tell that by various pics.

grayven
11-06-2009, 12:15 PM
Yes, it's that "ledge" that keeps it in the hilt. It's a lot larger diameter than the threaded part that you make the hole for. I thought you could tell that by various pics.

Have you ever tried putting a bigger square block through a smaller round hole?
That's how it doesn't come out the hole.:rolleyes:

Jedi-Loreen
11-06-2009, 12:54 PM
The one he's referring to isn't square though, Gravy. :p

Kant Lavar
11-06-2009, 02:48 PM
Tim does offer this service, FYI. (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Recharge-port-hole-service-P452.aspx)

Lan-Ja Hamil
11-10-2009, 08:12 PM
9/32 drill 5/16 -32 tap

Thanks FenderBender,

I was looking for the drill and tap dimensions.

BTW, nice YJM photo in your sig! :cool:

Crystal Chambers
11-10-2009, 10:41 PM
You'd be surprised at how tight your switches etc can fit with just a tapped hole. I'm on my first saber and have it all tapped with no nuts or anything and its tight.

FenderBender
11-10-2009, 10:50 PM
Thanks FenderBender,

I was looking for the drill and tap dimensions.

BTW, nice YJM photo in your sig! :cool:

No problem!

You are the first person to recognize it;) I've had people ask if its me:D

Though I can play, Im no YJM.:cool: