PDA

View Full Version : no offense but, that's it?

a fearsome grue
11-03-2009, 05:05 PM
only maybe a half dozen color choices? And they're not very good ones, either of you don't mind me saying so. Come on, a matte, dull gold? What's wrong with a bright, shiny gold or even copper or bronze or brass for that matter?

And does anyone really have green or blue or pink sabers?

Sure, I could just order the parts and get it done at a nearby shop but why not one-stop shopping?

Variety!

Lord Maul
11-03-2009, 05:07 PM
If you want new colors, suggest them to Tim, via email. And I mean specifically, with a LINK on where to buy it. Don't just complain and do nothing. If you don't like it, work to change it.

Strydur
11-03-2009, 05:09 PM
Last time I checked 13 was more than half a dozen..

And yes people have ordered pink, green, and blue parts to be powder coated.

a fearsome grue
11-03-2009, 07:39 PM
Last time I checked 13 was more than half a dozen..

And yes people have ordered pink, green, and blue parts to be powder coated.

an underestimate on my part. Surely you see my point?

as for suggesting some more and where to get them:

http://168.143.10.6/DUPONTCCDOTNET/default_newdupont.aspx
http://www.caswellplating.com/powder/powder_colors.html
http://www.caswellplating.com/powder/powder_colors2.html

Rhyen Skytracker
11-03-2009, 07:57 PM
I am sure Tim knows where to get the powder coat at. You need to link to the specific colors that you are interested in.

a fearsome grue
11-03-2009, 08:00 PM
bright brass, copper or bronze.

or I could just go to a guy nearby. Either way, it's all good. I just think it should be available to everyone at all times.

Or better yet, meh, I'll jest start another thread.

Shadar Al'Niende
11-03-2009, 08:50 PM
I think you need to respect what Tim has done here. He has provided a service far beyond what most of us are capable of, and on top of that has provided a "one stop shop" service for us and not just with Powder Coating. Otherwise we may very well be buying parts at 5 different places, having work done at another, have someone else PC the parts. etc. etc. etc.

The man deserves a little respect and from what I have seen, when people give him specific ideas to consider such as was already stated...he takes those into account, take this thread for example... (http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=6550)

FenderBender
11-03-2009, 08:50 PM
The problem with the Golds and coppers and such (I have extensive experience with them) is that you have to mirror polish the parts first to get a good finish from the PC. This would be yet another cost add on to the PC as properly polishing a part is time intensive. They are also the most difficult colors to powder coat as they are moisture sensitive and temperature finicky. If you don't cook it right the colors can "pull" away from sharp edges, which is sometimes unavoidable anyway. Even some smiths have stopped offering PC'ing services cause it's a pain in the ass for very little return.

astromech_kuhns
11-03-2009, 09:44 PM
Or better yet, meh, I'll jest start another thread.

another thread for what? you have this one which was your complaint about colors. "so you are saying this is it?" now add the "maybe we should get <instert color here> as a powder coating. as all noobs do, alot of threads are created for questions that have been answered already. i myself and no exception to this. but you are wanting to start another thread for the same topic?!?! really? that doesn't make sense.

Lord Maul
11-03-2009, 09:45 PM
an underestimate on my part. Surely you see my point?

as for suggesting some more and where to get them:

http://168.143.10.6/DUPONTCCDOTNET/default_newdupont.aspx
http://www.caswellplating.com/powder/powder_colors.html
http://www.caswellplating.com/powder/powder_colors2.html

Tim has requested that suggestions be sent to him via email. I even posted that for you, so you clearly don't care or didn't read my post.

Shadar and Fender, I agree with both of you.

Novastar
11-03-2009, 11:16 PM
bright brass, copper or bronze.

or I could just go to a guy nearby. Either way, it's all good. I just think it should be available to everyone at all times.

Or better yet, meh, I'll jest start another thread.Or better yet, "meh", you could 'jest' back off, and take a hike, you little internet court jester. This is a community of people helping other people. What you're doing is none of the such, quite argumentative and whiny, all the while maintaining the idea that you're an arrogant little cuss.

Go open your own saber shop. Offer powder-coating of your own choices. Oh wait... you have no skills nor cash to learn such things. My bad. I guess you're out-of-luck with your "I have no respect for anyone else but myself" attitude.

Eco
11-04-2009, 09:20 AM
Listen, if you can get it locally, do it. Don't come here and complain about a service that's already a cut above all the others. As far as I know, TCSS is the most extensive (and only) DIY custom saber store on the entire web! And the only one that offers powder coating as for it's customers at such an affordable rate.

I don't go to a Wal-mart and complain to them that they don't have X product or variety Y.

Okay, so there's Saberkit, but their service is pretty bad.

Lord Maul
11-04-2009, 04:04 PM
I hacked both the posts in question, DJ and eastern ;)

eastern57
11-04-2009, 04:10 PM
Cool, thanks! ;)

Jase Kala Maris
11-04-2009, 09:46 PM
that guy needs a donut or something...

DarthHideous
11-05-2009, 12:26 AM

When I was young, we said "Take a chill pill."

Grue, if you just calm down just a bit and do some research, people will ease
off and this sight will be a better help for you. However, as others had already
said, this a DIY forum and if you just want a nice pre-built saber, there are
plenty of options on other sites.

Tim, I hope that was an acceptable suggestion.

DJMoonbass
11-05-2009, 11:33 AM
I hacked both the posts in question, DJ and eastern ;)

okay.... ;)

Matt Thorn
11-06-2009, 05:27 AM
Well, we've established the value of the original post, but we may as well make lemonade from the lemons.

What Fender said. I have my own basic powder-coating kit, and I can vouch that metallics are just really, really hard. The opaque colors simply don't look like the metals they claim to look like, and the transparents are ultimately only as good as the surface underlying them. When it comes to metallics, there is simply no substitute for the actual metal (except maybe chrome plating, which is a completely different technology).

And just a little "testimonial" here. I was having trouble getting a tough surface with my powder coating, and I asked Tim for advice. Tim had nothing to gain from giving me advice (beyond the loyalty of an already loyal customer), but gave me advice that has radically improved the quality of my powder coating. (Stupid me, I took the instruction manual that came with the kit at its word. Turns out it was way off.)

Powder coating is great, but it has its limitations and is no panacea. So if you ask Tim to add a particular color, be sure you have a realistic expectation of what the final product will look like. I find the sample images provided by users at Powderbuythepound to be of limited usefulness, because most come from professional automobile/motorcycle customizers/detailers who are using top-of-the-line equipment. And you can bet they charge a heck of a lot more (exponentially more) than Tim does for his PC services.

Crystal Chambers
11-06-2009, 05:47 AM

MMM....powder coated donut! (Drool) Sorry couldn't resist.

I understand the metallic limitations of powder coat now myself, and although I want it to be perfect, it seems there really is nothing like the real thing.

I do have to agree I think some of the colours available wouldn't be my choice. The bubble gum pink is not what I recognise as that colour. It looks more like magenta with a little less saturation. IMO better choices would be cherry red as apposed to banner, or olive green..mmm. I like olives..lol. Khaki,terracotta...yeah I'm an artist. I love colours but I'm also really picky about having the right ones. I totally appreciate the service here but I wonder where the colour choices came from. Maybe a poll or something would help.

Matt Thorn
11-06-2009, 06:41 AM
I totally appreciate the service here but I wonder where the colour choices came from. Maybe a poll or something would help.
I'm not sure what the usefulness of a poll would be. We would need specific colors (product codes) with useful sample photos (not easy to come by) to choose from, and a popularity contest would not necessarily reflect actual sales. A dozen people could vote for "Candy Blue," but Tim could get zero orders. This and other threads have already pointed to various URLs that give exact product names and sample photos. If people want something powder coated by Tim, they should do the basic homework to find exactly what color they want, and e-mail Tim to ask about it. Then maybe Tim could post a thread to see if other people would actually be seriously interested in ordering it (rather than just expressing an opinion about it). I'm assuming Tim buys in quantity, to get the best value, so anytime he buys a color, he takes the risk that no more than one person will ever actually order it.

Which brings us back to what Lord Maul has said at least twice: If you want a specific color, and are serious about ordering it, you should e-mail Tim with a URL and product code.

BTW, I liked the "powder-coated donut" line. ;)

a fearsome grue
11-06-2009, 11:28 AM
I appreciate the services offered by the site. They're cool. I'd be hard-pressed to find anyone around my area willing to do such a small job.

The new thread I wanted to post was about electroplating.

$tarkiller
11-06-2009, 11:39 AM
Ok. Are you going to post it?

thejedilestat
11-09-2009, 06:04 AM
When I was young, we said "Take a chill pill."

Grue, if you just calm down just a bit and do some research, people will ease
off and this sight will be a better help for you. However, as others had already
said, this a DIY forum and if you just want a nice pre-built saber, there are
plenty of options on other sites.

Tim, I hope that was an acceptable suggestion.

as some one who owns a shop(take away food/gas/ice cream blah blah) if i dont have what the persion wants (and depending how thay ask) i will try to get the thing thay want if thay ask in a nice maner

...but you cant always do that cuz you end up with stuff no one is gonna ask for again

if thay are rude thay are free to not spend there cash in my shop