PDA

View Full Version : I just want a saber...

a fearsome grue
11-01-2009, 06:58 AM
is it possible to just ask questions without having to sift through the expanse that is this forum because all I want is a simple saber and someone who happens to be a good person can take two minutes can just answer the question?

I don't know about how it is here but on my hobby board, that how we do it. We answer even the most noobiest of noob's questions. Ask me anything about sci-fi scale modeling. I'll take an hour to answer if necessary.

Just tell me what button goes where and we're good. I really don't want to be a member of the forum or for it to become a hobby. All I want is a single costume saber, something that I can put on my dresser, on some kind of custom stand and admire.

Firedrops
11-01-2009, 07:06 AM
Yes, you can ask a question and GOOD person can answer it(like me).
there, i've answered the only proper question in your post. good luck :)
note though, most of the people in this forums hate spoonfeeding.
and, you put a button in a hole which you drill, and that hole will most probably be somewhere on your hilt.

a fearsome grue
11-01-2009, 07:20 AM
I noticed. Thanks.

say, if you have e-mail or facebook or something, I could message you or something instead of wasting these folks' bandwidth.

a fearsome grue
11-01-2009, 07:22 AM
Oh, and I'm not being lazy (I think)

I'm badly adhd and largely autistic. big things freak me out like big forums like this.

cardcollector
11-01-2009, 08:02 AM
Well ,For starters, onr of the reason we generally want people to figure out stuff for themselves is the feeling of accomplishment after you do it.

Another reason is that what you want is very easy to find...
but here it is for you.:D
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35

read these and it is all you need to make a stunt saber.:)

acerocket
11-01-2009, 08:26 AM
First of all, check the attittude. You will not get the help you seek if you keep up the cursing (implied by abbreviation) and bad attitude. You are not off to a good start winning the help of people on this forum by asking very vague questions or staring multiple threads basically asking the same thing. That said, I will offer my 2 cents to this party.

First, if all you want is a simple saber without sound, then I would use the MHS saber Buillder attached to the store front (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/mhsbuilder/) and stick with the parts that are carried in the store. You may have to do some reading on how the MHS system works to make sure your design is a compatible one (male and femal threads work, etc). Once you have your design, post a query in the Parts List thread and ask politely if someone will review your design (http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39). If you want holes drilled and tapped in your parts, email Tim the store owner and inquire about what he can do as far as custom work goes. There is usually a fee associated with drilling and tapping holes but he can do them and I would be willing to bet he will put them where they need to go if you ask nicely.

If you are wanting a saber with sound, then I suggest you start reading the forums a little before you do anything. There is a lot more complexity added to the equation when you add sound to a saber.

If you are not able or do not want to build your own saber (wether you order the parts or not), try joining the fx-sabers forum (http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php) and browsing the Mining Colony (http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?board=55.0) and contact the members there who do saber builds and see if one of them can help you get your saber built.

As mentioned before, this forum is a DIY forum and we expect members here to do a little reading and try to answer their own questions. It's not that we do not want to help, we just grow tired of answering the same question over and over. The answers are here, you just have to find them. If you choose not to read and do a little leg work, do not yell at us for not helping you.

a fearsome grue
11-01-2009, 09:32 AM
right but every time I ask a question, I'm told to read the forums.

Gets maddening, you know?

cardcollector
11-01-2009, 09:36 AM
I know, but every question you've asked (and multiple people ask them) can be answered by a little reading.

Then they get upset at us for trying to get them to help themselves...

gets maddening you know?:p

Invisas1979
11-01-2009, 09:49 AM
I recon that if you're looking for a costume saber then google big yellow box or some similar.

Alternatively you could order a bit of sink tube from the store, a couple of MHS sink tube adapters, a blade holder and pommel, MPS insert, clip. For the saber. If you want light add a make your own kit, which will have an led, lens, lens holder, switch, resistor and battery holder.

Regarding sound, you NEED TO READ and or get someone to do this for you.

I suggest MHS as did Acerocket, with some powder coat for decor.

Good luck

a fearsome grue
11-01-2009, 09:53 AM
no, I want one from the MHS. The one as seen in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haCPTQfSlYU

possibly a little different.

Jedi-Loreen
11-01-2009, 09:56 AM
Well, here's something you don't have to read, just watch:

http://www.youtube.com/TheCustomSaberShop#p/u/0/s322OZ6GEtE

a fearsome grue
11-01-2009, 10:16 AM
consider my mind blown! I *heart* Loreen! That was awesome! I'm hooked!

fyi, I'm not dumb. I'm just not that bit a reader.

Scum_and_Villainy
11-01-2009, 10:29 AM
I'm just not that bit a reader.

If you want to do this stuff, you're going to have to learn to be. There's a wealth of information here, and even a section that focuses on new people wanting to build a saber. It may take a bit of time, but it's truly worth it in the end.

There's a saying: God helps those that help themselves, and that can be applied here. If you show that you're willing to make the effort, people will gladly help you.

Jedi-Loreen
11-01-2009, 10:42 AM
Well, originally it sounded like he just wanted to build a static saber, and be done with it. That he didn't want to have to find anymore information than to just do that.

We'll see if that's still the case.........

a fearsome grue
11-01-2009, 10:49 AM
Well, originally it sounded like he just wanted to build a static saber, and be done with it. That he didn't want to have to find anymore information than to just do that.

We'll see if that's still the case.........

that was until you showed me that video. Look pretty simple and straightforward. Expensive though. I might be able to pound out one a year what with my other hobbies, interests, two year old daughter, daycare, food, medical, groceries...

$tarkiller
11-01-2009, 05:56 PM
Thats just something thats gonna have to be between you and you. :cool:
But when I first joined this site last year, my first post was to ask if someone had a saber they could sell me. That was a mistake, and I learned from it, and all we are asking you to do is learn from us, so that you can build a saber that you will like and have for many years, and you can say- "I built that!!" I know it is sort of scary jumping into places like this, but I promise you- with a little reading and a little help from YOU, we can point you in the right direction, which we already have :), and like I said in your other post- you can build a saber to wow us all.

a fearsome grue
11-06-2009, 11:41 AM
Oh, and I'm not being lazy (I think)

I'm badly adhd and largely autistic. big things freak me out like big forums like this.

what I mean by that is I have asperger's disorder. It's a condition where someone has a very hard time relating to people or "NT's" (neurotypicals - normal people). When spoken to or corrected, I feel attacked or belittled or eveyone's being rude to me even if you're not or whatever. I'm not asking you to walk on eggshells or anything. Just please keep it in mind when dealing with me.

It is a hobby I'd like to get into and I'd like to get to know you good folks.

see, I try to look up stuff by doing searches of the forum and of the main page but like I've told you, it's all so big and expansive. I literally do get anxiety when I do these searches and I don't find what I want to ask about and then go to ask about it thinking there's something I missed, someplace I didn't look.

I guess I'm good with prefab steps like a hunny-do list. "please do this then that and then this..." Go from A to B to C and so on down the line until I'm done or if I get stuck, I can ask an expert for help (eg, one of you)

thanks for understanding.

Rhyen Skytracker
11-06-2009, 11:54 AM
We are not trying to be rude or anything, we are just trying to tell you that there is a lot to making sabers and we want you to learn first so you don't get hurt or damage an expensive saber. We are more than glad to help you as long as you seem to be trying to help yourself by doing some research too. I am looking forward to seeing your first saber.

DJMoonbass
11-06-2009, 02:09 PM
okay so you have ADHD and asperger's disorder. the thing about this forums is that nobody is treated differently then other poeple. we are all equalls here. regardless of what mental stuff we have. i have the worst ADD imaginable. i cant keep track of ANYTHING. you wouldnt believe the amountof times i have lost my phone, keys, wallet, etc. it never ends. but here on this forum. we talk have a good time and just love starwars. everybody is just as important as the other.

we arent going to treat you any differently then lets say: Jay gon for instance. hes a respectable member and has learned alot and built some very beautiful sabers. unless you give us a reason to treat you differently we wont.

just dont be rude and demanding, be respectful and try to help your self. (trust me i have learned my lessons. ive done some pretty serious things.) seriously this is a forums where reading is required. just take it a little bit at a time. theres some wonderful tutorials on how to make a basic sinktube saber. then theres the links in LDM and Lord Muals sig. check them out. just focus on small things and remember the search key is your friend.

so please. just have fun here. thats all we ask.

a fearsome grue
11-06-2009, 02:13 PM
loosing track of your wallet and/or keys isn't clinical adhd

Kant Lavar
11-06-2009, 03:23 PM
The point is is that nobody but nobody gets treated different. I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was a child, and to this day it's very easy for me to get distracted when I'm doing something. But at the same time, I was able to overcome that and spend a very successful and enjoyable four years as an intelligence in the military intelligence field. But that's just me.

This is a do-it-yourself hobby. You can put together a how-to list for yourself, but we won't spoon-feed it for you. Spooning information for you won't encourage innovation and experimentation, and that's one of the biggest goals of this community is to innovate. Take, for example, this saber (http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=6071) by Madhatter. Granted, he's one of the more advanced sabersmiths around, but I would never have thought one could cram all the stuff he did into a lightsaber, much less doing so with a custom logic circuit to help run it all. But the point is, that is the standard that we try to aspire to around here; maybe not in building that complicated a saber, but in trying to figure out the "next cool thing" to do.

Nobody's ragging on you when we encourage you to do your own research. It's just that most of us around here weren't spoon-fed information, and now we have all the great things we do today because of it. Heck, ask someone like Jedi-Loreen who in the community spoon-fed her information when she started, and I would imagine her response could be something along the lines of "I was the community!"

So, yeah. Just my two bits.

DJMoonbass
11-06-2009, 03:44 PM
what he said. and seriously my ADD its worse than you think. ;)

Rhyen Skytracker
11-06-2009, 04:08 PM
I believe you DJ. LOL :D

Invisas1979
11-07-2009, 01:57 AM
[QUOTE=DJMoonbass;151460]okay so you have ADHD and asperger's disorder. the thing about this forums is that nobody is treated differently then other poeple. QUOTE]

Not exactly true, without naming people there are some people who we do talk to differently because we know they have personal issues which make understanding difficult.

There are also some people treated differently because they just say stupid things alot......

That said this is a self help forum. But me personally I look at different situations and offer any help I can where I think it might be useful.

Anxiety is an awkward thing to live with so I understand getting AFG getting put off.

My advice take it slowly pal, this is a great and interesting hobby and if you're ever really stuck I'm sure someone will help;)

Shadar Al'Niende
11-07-2009, 09:22 AM
Bottom line is people are nice here. If you are patient, willing to accept feedback, polite, and generally showing a willing to learn and stick around...people are very willing to help you do so.

If you are impatient, don't listen to answers that are given, rude, or lazy...would you want to help someone like that.

I have to be honest, you have made some good steps toward repairing the impressions you have built here by being far more patient and having a much better attitude. Keep that up, do some learning (even if it takes you years) and keep in mind that some of the people here have been building lightsabers years before you ever knew it was possible.

I always love to see new builds! I will say no more on the topic until i see your first saber blaze to life :D