PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Make Custom Props?

JediMedic
10-31-2009, 09:06 PM
Looking to commission the Great Holocron as seen here:

I have a Jedi and Sith Holcron made by Hole in the Wall Productions that I'm quite fond of, but he doesnt want to attempt this one. I can understand why...its 12 sided!

Anyone know of any other custom prop makers?

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
10-31-2009, 09:50 PM
This is a forum attached to a store, and soliciting is a no-no here, whether offering services, or seeking them.

I've heard of prop building forums out there, but I'm not familiar with any of them enough to pass on any links. A little time searching Google might turn up some results.

TimeRender
10-31-2009, 10:27 PM
Considering the prop in question has absolutely nothing to do with sabers, I don't see how it's a problem for him to post this question here. However, since we are a DIY community, why not try making one yourself out of plexigass? I can give you a few ideas.

Start here. http://www.korthalsaltes.com/

These can be used as templates of sorts, but be aware that if you are going to build a model polyhedron out of something thicker than paper, the pieces you cut should not be exactly the same size or shape. As an example, when you make a cube out of paper, all six sides are identical. When you make a cube out of plywood, you have two squares that form the top and bottom and four smaller rectangles that make the sides. Use the paper models to give you some ideas, but draw up your own blueprints before you start working with the plexi.

Next, check this out. http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-a-TRON-Style-Lamp-The-MADYLIGHT/?ALLSTEPS

This will teach you a lot of techniques that you may find applicable.

As for assembly, it will be difficult to align and glue the edges on any polyhedron isn't a cube. You will find it useful to build a guide to help you line up the edges and hold them while the glue sets. A table saw with an adjustable angle blade will help you significantly. Off the top of my head I am not sure what the inside angle of a dodecahedron is. I'm sure google or wiki can tell you. Take a block of wood and run it down your table saw twice to cut a notch with that angle, and then you can use the wood to line up the parts. Be sure to cut the edges of the plexiglass at angles as well to esure flush fitting edges.

Then come back here and post lots of pictures and offer appropriate thanks to those who helped you.

Edit: You may also want to go sign up over at therpf.com and ask around there. Corbin Das is a member of the TCSS forum and the RPF, and I believe he and some other builders were working on some holocrons.

JediMedic
10-31-2009, 10:59 PM
Much obliged. I would love to build my own stuff, but I'm in the Army and dont have the time/room/equipment right now. Plus I'm deployed until January.

TimeRender
10-31-2009, 11:02 PM
Then you should definitely try to sign up at the RPF, but I'm not sure if they are accepting new members right now. They have strange rules for signing up and don't accept membership apps very often.

FenderBender
11-01-2009, 08:15 AM
They open on the 15th of Nov. at the RPF

Sairon
11-06-2009, 04:49 PM
Wonderflex, the worlds wonderful invention that I seem to keep talking about yet I never hear people use it, works great for holocrons(no pics sorry) it's very flexable, and tool/designs easy so it can turn out great.

http://www.cosplaysupplies.com/store.php?s=M4UZ

Rhyen Skytracker
11-06-2009, 05:32 PM
Looks promising. I may have to get some to try.