PDA

View Full Version : drill holes at store's discretion?

a fearsome grue
10-31-2009, 07:40 PM
if I were to order a bare-bones saber with a few screws and whatnot, do you think the store would be able to tap and screw in the screws where they think they should go?

I'm not certain in my ability to keep them straight and keeping them in "what goes where", y'know?

I think this would fall under the drilling fee too so, I'm sure if I paid for that, it would be a simple matter of simply stating, "store's discretion".

Shadar Al'Niende
10-31-2009, 08:51 PM
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Drill-Tap-Hole-P193.aspx

you have quite a bit of reading to do before asking for handouts my friend...

you just buy the service, the store doesn't assemble anything for you so there is no "store discretion"

$tarkiller
10-31-2009, 09:00 PM
Exactly. Go to the section of the store on the main page that says services. There is a service that Tim offers called the uh...... um..... Oh crap. I almost had it. OH! YEAH! Drill and Tap Service. :p;)

a fearsome grue
11-01-2009, 06:41 AM
what "hand-out"???

I said "I think this would fall under the drilling fee"

you all say that I need to read the forums some more.

I'm a newb and the forum is so big, I don't know where to start so how's about cutting me a little SLACK!

So, let me ask again: FOR A FEE, will they put the screws and stuff where they see fit?

Shadar Al'Niende
11-01-2009, 07:25 AM
No...they will not. only the holes, and as you can see there is a section to tell them where.

As stated in my earlier post. They do not assemble anything for you. Please refrain from using abbreviations for curse words as it is the same as saying it. This is a DIY (do it yourself) forum. People are willing to help but only after you do some looking. It gets tiring answering the same questions over and over...

FenderBender
11-01-2009, 08:20 AM
Answers to your questions can be found everywhere. If you're not willing to do the work of looking than you're probably not going to want to do the work of building either. You've already stated that you have no interest in being a part of these forums, so that means that will not contribute anything here either. Therefore no one is going to really want to help you. If I were you, I would just look for a completed saber to buy, try eBay. That seems like it would be more YOUR style.

a fearsome grue
11-01-2009, 09:37 AM
It's just that they'd - as saber experts would know where the screws go better than I.

Know what I mean?

Scum_and_Villainy
11-01-2009, 10:18 AM
When I ordered my saber parts, I asked for a hole to be drilled for the blade retention screw. I didn't specify the exact position on the blade holder, so Tim lined it up with the switch hole. When ordering, just tell him what you want; blade retention screw, covertec screw, and so on. Expect to pay for them, of course.

a fearsome grue
11-01-2009, 12:55 PM
just that I don't have a bench press, y'know? And I have a feeling a hand-held wouldn't be up the the challenge of drilling a curved metal surface without scratching up the finish unless a pilot hole is in place first.

Jedi-Loreen
11-01-2009, 01:10 PM
I think you mean drill press. ;)

Hand drilling can be done, with a center punch to mark where the hole will go so your bit doesn't wander, but a drill press is better, of course. I usually can't get holes perfectly perpendicular when I hand drill through MHS pieces, but now a friend has a small drill press, so I go use that. :)

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
11-01-2009, 01:18 PM
A quick Google search turned up this:

http://skycraftsurplus.com/drillpressstandforportabledrill.aspx

I have something similar. Pretty cheap way to do it without buying a full sized drill press.

Jedi-Loreen
11-01-2009, 01:35 PM
Hmm. Interesting, I've never seen anything like that before.

I'm having a little trouble envisioning exactly how it works, though.

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
11-01-2009, 01:52 PM
You just clamp your portable drill into it. It's a little awkward, and it takes some patience to set it up so it drills straight, but it works.

I just scooped this off someone's website. Same idea.
http://www.theworkshop.ca/machining/gen3/drilling_rig.JPG

a fearsome grue
11-01-2009, 04:07 PM
I think you mean drill press. ;)

Heh. that is what I meant. The force is strong with this one...

$tarkiller
11-01-2009, 05:44 PM
Of course it is. She has been around here for a while. But I think I agree with what fender said to you. Try Ebay for a premade saber that dosent require you to do any work, unless you want to actually try building your own unique saber that YOU came up with to impress us all.

FenderBender
11-01-2009, 05:49 PM
A quick Google search turned up this:

http://skycraftsurplus.com/drillpressstandforportabledrill.aspx

I have something similar. Pretty cheap way to do it without buying a full sized drill press.

Heh, Skycraft is the bomb. That store is in Orlando, and we went there about twice a week for misc. stuff. I sure do miss having that store around:( They had the craziest surplus stuff in there, and the building itself has a rocket and a flying saucer on top:D Heat shrink was $.88 for 4ft! in all sorts of sizes. LEDs bezels (where I got all my antique brass lamp bezels) *sigh* I'll miss it.......

For the $30 you'll spend on that, plus if you don't already have a good drill you'll have to buy that too. You could buy a used REAL drill press or go to Home Depot and get one of the cheap $100 new Ryobi or Rigid ones.

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
11-01-2009, 09:35 PM
I would have a real drill press in a heartbeat, but I don't have a shop to set up in. The mini-drill press can be tucked away under a shelf in my shed.