PDA

View Full Version : Need advice for a completely custom blade..

bluebomber
10-31-2009, 01:11 PM
Okay, so I need help with an interesting idea that I had. I'm working on a Mandalorian/Sith, but I figured that something other than a Lightsaber could make my build look THAT much more sinister. That something would be a scythe. I'm sure that I could figure out the construction of the pole/hilt, with no problems at all, but what I can't figure the best way to do, would be the blade. I want to go all out, with lighting and sound effects, and the works. I'm just not sure how to construct the blades. Such as what materials should I use, and how could I incorporate it into a curved blade, and on that subject.. How to make the blade light up, and still have the power on effect look correct?

Any help that I could get with this, would be amazing. I've already messaged the guys here, at the shop, and they said that this would be the best place for info. I'm hoping that I'd be able to grab the materials I'd need from them, as well.. Thanks, in advance!

Novastar
10-31-2009, 05:15 PM
Fiber optic lighting or EL materials.

FenderBender
11-01-2009, 08:16 AM
That or use a scroll saw to cut out the curved blade from acrylic sheeting and then sand the outside to diffuse the light.

bluebomber
11-01-2009, 10:08 AM
Mm.. So, acrylic sheeting would be best to make the blade? I'm guessing that I'd have to make the blade in two halves, because of the design.. What do you think would be best to seal the two halves together? Could I use an epoxy, or something like it? Do you think that would effect the lighting any?

Jedi-Loreen
11-01-2009, 12:39 PM
I think I'd use polycarbonate sheet, since it would be less brittle than acrylic and stronger.

Shadar Al'Niende
11-01-2009, 02:51 PM
Maybe EL sheet in the blade???

I would be a little out of my league with that one but assume it would work the best...

Maybe not..

Sunrider
11-01-2009, 06:52 PM
I think nova is right. to light up a curved blade you will run into problems with a led. Check out the recent light whip that was made that would work.

Jedi-Loreen
11-01-2009, 08:10 PM
Have you ever held an LED to the edge of a flat sheet of plastic? The whole thing lights up. If you sand it to diffuse it, I think even a curved blade will light up, especially if you point the LED (or one if you use multiple) toward the curve.

I don't think using side emitting fiber optic cable is the answer.

Sunrider
11-02-2009, 11:52 AM
People have enough trouble getting a straight blade to illuminate uniformly.

If the blade will be very short like a foot a led might work but much longer & no worky.;)

bluebomber
11-02-2009, 12:15 PM
I appreciate all the input, guys.. I'll have to try out a few of these ideas. I'll probably try the polycarbonite sheet and fiber optics, first.. It'll take me a bit, since I'm saving up to move back to Georgia, but when I get some results, I'll definitely post some progress pics up.. Thanks, guys. Great ideas, so far..