PDA

View Full Version : Grip lines in sink tube using a pipe cutter

Powered Convoy
10-26-2009, 05:52 AM
Hello,
I'm working on my first custom (MHS) saber, and I was wondering if there is any secret to making the grip lines on a sink tube overlay? Every time I try (whether in a vice or not) the pipe cutter ends up moving on me (making the lines not even or meet) and some times warping the sink tube? Any helpful suggestions? I couldn't find much on this by searching. Thank you.

Randy

Shadar Al'Niende
10-26-2009, 06:36 AM
I believe most people use a lathe...

Darth Abominor
10-26-2009, 07:38 AM
In the case of sink tubing, I know alot of us use the method of pipe cutter and slow, careful turns. Very light pressure is the key I find. Too strong on the pressure and you tend to cut into the pipe deeply enough to warp it's shape, weaken the walls, or worse yet... cut the pipe. I am sure a vice can't hurt as it would offer more control.

cardcollector
10-26-2009, 08:02 AM
I have found...
1.GO SLOOOOW
2. Multiple Light cuts are better than one deep cut
3. turn the cutter- not the tube

Shadar Al'Niende
10-26-2009, 08:14 AM
In the case of sink tubing, I know alot of us use the method of pipe cutter and slow, careful turns.

haha oops...guess not...

FenderBender
10-26-2009, 08:43 AM
The person who has perfected this delicate technique is Jay Gon, and he has posted several build logs and tutorials that are part of the Foundation of Knowledge of this site. Look around at stuff he has done and I'm sure you will learn much.

Powered Convoy
10-28-2009, 06:47 AM
Thank you. The key for me was to move the cutter rather than the pipe. I was moving the pipe and that caused lots of problems. Thank you everyone!

Randy