PDA

View Full Version : Ok, for real this time!

Waek_Hyndarus
10-24-2009, 11:05 PM
Alrighty....this is what I havve for a list....and this is what I'm gonna buy I think. But could I ask the experts here to point anything I need to know out?

I was THIS close to actually just buying itm all, but I thought I;d better check with our local experts to make sure!

Info #1: I made several...about 3....models with the builder and I did save them in my ecperiments to find my hilt...so I need to offer my apologies to Strydur for using up his server space.

Info #2: Not planning on electronics, blasde or sound yet. I just want the hilt for now.

Info #3: I'm so new to this, Han Solo would probably be more compitent with the Force than I am with electronics and building stuff.

The Saber

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v294/WyoWolf17/Star%20Wars/SaberBuilder_render-1.png

Parts List

- 5" Double female threaded connector
- MHS ribbed extension v-grooved
- MHS choke style 1 short
- Screw on LED blade holder style 18 (wish it was EL...seems easier to9 put together. but oh well)
- Machine switch hole in MHS section (illuminated; location: 5" Double Female Connector, 1/2 inch behind threads.)
- 3/4" D-Ring
- MPS Pommel style 7
- MPS Insert style 6
- 4-40 Nylon Screw (for D-ring clip)
- 8-32 x 3/8" Red Acetal thumb screw
- Bezel for illuminated switches
- Powder Coating x2 (solar flat black on ribbed extension; copper on choke)
- 6 Piece notched rubber grip set 3.6" (only grips available)
- DPDT Momentary red illuminated switch

A big thank you in advance!

Darth Demens
10-25-2009, 11:01 AM
Only problem I can see is the 4-40 Nylon screw as a D-Ring holder. Those screws are typically used to hold the LEDs to their heatsinks, which means they are small. They're also kind of soft, so I'm not sure I'd want to hang a saber off of one. I'm not sure what the hole size on that ring is, but it might not even hold it. I'd use one of the 8-32 Button heads.

Waek_Hyndarus
10-25-2009, 12:53 PM
Well, it was mentioned in reviews that the holes inf the pommel cap are made for 4-40. would an 8-32 fit in the pommel cap? (insert style 6)

also added a drill/tap to the blade holder, along with both 1/4" and 1/8" set screws....to see which I like using better. Would it be worth it to add a cheap, greenPolyC $12.99 blade?

Jay-gon Jinn
10-25-2009, 01:15 PM
Well, it was mentioned in reviews that the holes inf the pommel cap are made for 4-40. would an 8-32 fit in the pommel cap? (insert style 6)

Even if they fit in the holes in the insert, they will still be too small to hold the D-ring. The hole in the D-ring is too big for the head of the 4-40 screws. It will take at least an 8-32 to secure the D-ring to the saber.

Waek_Hyndarus
10-25-2009, 01:41 PM
right-o. Thanks for the word, Jay-gon!

Jedi-Loreen
10-25-2009, 10:42 PM
- Screw on LED blade holder style 18 (wish it was EL...seems easier to9 put together. but oh well)

Um, what? :confused:

Waek_Hyndarus
10-26-2009, 12:11 AM
Ok...sorry, Loreen. Guess a nood like me can't really make a justified assumption of what is easier than what.

But obviously, I really don't have much confidence in my electronics skills....I've never even done anything more complicated than switching batteries. So when folk start talking resistors and wiring and soldering and attaching batteries....it's a little discouraging...even though I'm trying to read as much as I can.

~~~~~

But I do have another question about general hilt assembly. Can I usually just kinda specify where to drill and tap, pick out my powder coating, and then order? Or should I be communicating more with Tim before I order?

Shadar Al'Niende
10-26-2009, 06:39 AM
Don't worry, you're not a "nood" :mrgreen:

As for EL, J-Lo would definitely know if LED is easier than EL :rolleyes:

But obviously, I really don't have much confidence in my electronics skills....I've never even done anything more complicated than switching batteries. So when folk start talking resistors and wiring and soldering and attaching batteries....it's a little discouraging...even though I'm trying to read as much as I can.

You have way more electronics work and frustration with EL since the wire breaks easy, the inverter is placed into the equation, yada yada yada...thus her confusion...

Jedi-Loreen
10-26-2009, 12:03 PM
EL is not easier than LED.

That pesky EL wire can be a pain in the butt for first timers trying to deal with it.

Scum_and_Villainy
10-26-2009, 03:59 PM

I know exactly how you feel. When I started, I was deathly afraid of making mistakes with the electronics. I thought it was extremely complicated, never having dealt with wiring before. But once you get a look at the actual thing, it's pretty simple. Parts + reading will definitely boost your confidence. Be sure to use the diagrams written here! They're lifesavers.

Waek_Hyndarus
10-26-2009, 04:15 PM
Right on. Thanks ScumVil...if that works for a shorthand name. lol