PDA

View Full Version : TCSS Color Discs

Shadar Al'Niende
10-23-2009, 08:10 AM
Heya folks, I looked in the White LED thread to see if i could find someone using 2 of the Pink Color Discs sold here in the Store (2nd from the right)

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Assets/ProductImages/633.jpg

I want to see what the color looks like with a P4 under two of these discs. If no one has a picture to offer, maybe someone can give me a rough comparison? My wife want's a pink like what is found HERE (http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/1951/sdc10053jx2.jpg) just a slightly deeper color (sorta red/magenta/pink'ish crazy color? :confused:) Personally i think that pink is what she wants just not showing on camera like it would in person.

Anyway, how do two discs affect the light transmission on such a dark disc? I figure with a P4 you have some leeway... Just thought I would offer it up to the collective knowledge of the community as this is slightly more specific than the basic color disc threads I have read.

Thanks guys!

ComdtJustin
10-23-2009, 10:05 AM
I have a lux k2 (not at home or I'd post a pic) and the colour discs. I can tell you from personal experimentation that the pink discs give of an "awesome" hot pink. Lol

Edit: Durr, forgot you asked about light transmission too... It dims things a little, but those discs are light enough to let enough water through, IMO.

Shadar Al'Niende
10-23-2009, 10:09 AM
Even with two of them in place?

Onli-Won Kanomi
10-23-2009, 11:12 AM
I rather like the colour of a SINGLE pink disc...its been in one of my 'loaner' sabers for over 3 months lol...but in my experience using TWO discs of ANY colour loses too much light for my tastes...a brighter LED like a P4 does make the problem a BIT better but imo you are always better off getting a single filter in a shade you like than trying to create it combining multiple filters...thats because multiple surfaces always result in some light loss [as with multi lens element optics in binoculars, telescopes etc] and because filters use a SUBTRACTIVE method of colouring light...the more filters the more spectral wavelengths removed by the combination of the colours as well as the original filter colour subtractiontherefore the dimmer the remaining light.

Imo try the single pink and see if she likes it but if you want a different pink you are better to get a LEE, Rosco, or Apollo swatchbook and find a filter colour that will give the colour she wants in a single layer of filter material and will be brighter doing so.

Crystal Chambers
10-23-2009, 11:59 AM
nice color in the "here" link. On my screen it looks like a violet or a really red purple. More like the one 3rd from the left.

Lee filters has cool color wheel on their site.

JediMedic
10-26-2009, 05:08 PM
Anyone tried using the disks with anything other than a white LED? I would imagine its probably not bright enough, but would be interesting to see.

X
10-26-2009, 07:02 PM
You can get really good pinks out of LEE filters. I know cuz trying to get a good purple takes some trial and error. If your using a P4 you can definitely double up on the Lee filters, the plastic ones really kill the light.

Jedi-Loreen
10-26-2009, 08:04 PM
Filters don't really work with colored LEDs. The way filters work is that they filter out all the other wavelengths but the color made to let you see.

For example, you can't use a blue filter on a red LED. You don't get purple, just something very dark, because the filter isn't letting the red wavelengths through.

This has already been asked here several times.