PDA

View Full Version : First Custom Saber Concept and List

Waek_Hyndarus
10-19-2009, 01:55 AM
No name yet. Maybe just Hyndarus for now. It's not the most original design, but I like the simple lightsabers, they look more like a weapon and a tool than decoration. Not designed for lights and blades right now....cross that bridge when I get there. Thanks all!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v294/WyoWolf17/Star%20Wars/Hyndarus_render2.png

MHS ribbed extension v-grooved

LED blade holder style 18

MHS choke style 1

MPS Pommel style 7

5" Double female threaded connector

3/4" D-Ring

D-ring belt mount

MPS Insert style 6

MPS Clip

10-32 x 3/8" Red Acetal thumb screw

10-32 x 13/32" Thumb Screw

4-40 Nylon Screw

Graflex Red Button Replica Thumbscrew (when available)

6 Piece 3.6" Rubber Grips (when available)

Crystal Chambers
10-19-2009, 05:28 AM
I believe you need a set screw to insert your thumb screw into for your blade retention.

$tarkiller
10-19-2009, 07:48 AM
I believe you need a set screw to insert your thumb screw into for your blade retention.

Actually, yu just need on or te other. It is no necessary to have both. Anyways you cannot inserta thumbscrew INTO the set scew. All you need to do is drill a hole and tap it, so it will match the threads of the screw of choice.

Barmic Rin
10-19-2009, 08:55 AM
I'd lose the choke & change the thumb screw for a set screw. 13.5" is too long for me generally, and the set screw will keep that emitter looking flush.

Other than that, it's a design i'd gladly have in my collection.

It's your design at the end of the day though.

Jedi-Loreen
10-19-2009, 09:57 AM
Huh? Have you been doing any reading about saber construction? :confused:

Onli-Won Kanomi
10-19-2009, 11:02 AM
I think maybe she meant to say a set screw HOLE JLo...I actually made the same mistake in a post yesterday [said "get Strydur to drill and tap a screw" rather than a screw hole, DOH] and had to edit it, so its a mistake even an old timer can make [or maybe I'm going senile?] lol.

Waek_Hyndarus
10-19-2009, 11:20 AM
I'd lose the choke & change the thumb screw for a set screw. 13.5" is too long for me generally, and the set screw will keep that emitter looking flush.

Wow, the only post here with an opinion of the actual saber and they want me to change it! *sniffle*

Just kidding, Barmic. :)

Actually, 13.8" is what I wanted. The part of the saber actually being use as the grip will be a clean 9". Now, I made sure it was that way because of size comparison. I own a Valiant Armoury practical long sword, a functional broadsword. The handle is two handed, and 7.5" in length. That size of handle fits my hands perfectly, but doesn't allow for much play. So the 9" grip design here is made specifically for my big paws, and to give me about an inch and a half of play in the grip.

As for the thumbscrew in the emitter, I'm not getting a blade for it right away. I put it there because I wanted it there...it adds a tad bit of character.

Hope that makes good sense...it does to me at least, lol

Onli-Won Kanomi
10-19-2009, 11:48 AM
That actually does make sense if you have large hands Waek...the 10-12" of most movie sabers is just a guideline afterall so if your saber is longer but works better for you that is all that matters.

Nice design btw...personally I'd use the shorter choke but I have smaller hands. That's the great thing about the modular hilt system: like Harveys you can "have it YOUR way". :-)

Waek_Hyndarus
10-19-2009, 01:54 PM
Personally, I'd like the shorter choke too. But the store is out of it. Then again I suppose I could wait. Back to the drawing board!

Crystal Chambers
10-19-2009, 02:30 PM
Huh? Have you been doing any reading about saber construction? :confused:

Yes! Obviously. Jay-gons PVC thread. Most threads aren't so comprehensive. Thanks for rubbing that in instead of just correcting. Should change the site to Custom Saber Reading .com. :roll:

How come when I put the two parts in my part list no one questioned/corrected me?

Jedi-Loreen
10-19-2009, 02:50 PM
Maybe you didn't say where a set screw might be going, and we assumed you'd be using it to hold some parts together?

Sorry about my response, it just didn't make any sense that you'd use 2 screws in the same hole.

You wouldn't have read anywhere on this forum about anyone doing that.

Crystal Chambers
10-19-2009, 03:04 PM
"they look more like a weapon and a tool than decoration"
Seems like a Jedi thing...like it's an important tool but not getting attached to it.

"Not designed for lights and blades right now....cross that bridge when I get there."

I wish I had that kind of patience. I would at least consider your future goals to make sure they're achievable with this handle...looks good to me but I'm new to this.

Thanks J-LO. There's alot of info to process here. The more I read the more I see things left out or simplified. Plus it can be intimidating to ask questions here.

Darth Midian
10-19-2009, 03:22 PM
I would have to agree with Crystal. It can be a little intimdating asking questions here. I have read a lot of posts were Noobs have asked questions, and just get lit up by the Veteran builders. But I can also agree with the Veterans. I have 4 children and I go nuts after answering the same question for the 10th time. So search, read, and you will discover the answer you are searching for.

Jedi-Loreen
10-19-2009, 03:28 PM
Sometimes, figuring out how to use the Search function effectively can be a learning experience in and of itself. :p

Waek_Hyndarus
10-19-2009, 03:41 PM
How come when I put the two parts in my part list no one questioned/corrected me?

My only defense(s) are that I've never seen it....but even if I had...I'm both blonde and male. So...I'm innocent! Promise! :p

Waek_Hyndarus
10-19-2009, 05:21 PM
Ah, yes, being new. You and I are in the same boat, Crystal! I have no idea what to expect for my first light saber. I'm just hoping it's a mater of ordering the correct parts, screw it and taping it (rubber grips) all together and you have a saber. But it would seem life is rarely that easy.

In the meantime, I have another design....thinking this might work better.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v294/WyoWolf17/Star%20Wars/SaberBuilder_render.jpg

Thoughts? Shortened it up a bit.

$tarkiller
10-20-2009, 07:04 AM
Holy double post batman!

Waek_Hyndarus
10-20-2009, 01:13 PM
Uh Wha? oh....oh dear. sorry about that. Didn't even think about it! Just got my new design and put it up.