PDA

View Full Version : Gravy's Light whip 2.0

grayven
10-18-2009, 09:05 PM
specs:

CF special worked from erv (He's the man)
10W Dental blue Led engine (running 1A @ 14.4V)
Novastar's Light whip font (this will be on his new CD)

I let the videos tell the rest. I will not be taking orders, However I will be passing this on to other reputable Sabersmiths if they want to build them.

Video #1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lgd-5Kk2tfM)

Video #2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxIOyXJOFzs)

Shadar Al'Niende
10-18-2009, 10:33 PM
very nice... 8)

Lord Dottore Matto
10-18-2009, 10:44 PM
:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgr een::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:: mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Jay-gon Jinn
10-18-2009, 10:59 PM
Cool whip, Gravy! ;)

ARKM
10-19-2009, 12:06 AM
Sweet!

Darth Vane
10-19-2009, 05:07 AM
If you could put an extension and Retraction effect on that! that would blow ALL of us away!. tobad its EL though. either way Awsome man just Pure Awsome!

Rhyen Skytracker
10-19-2009, 05:48 AM
Very nice whip. Awesome job. I couldn't get the second video link to work though. I MUST SEE MORE!!! LOL

grayven
10-19-2009, 06:46 AM
If you could put an extension and Retraction effect on that! that would blow ALL of us away!. tobad its EL though. either way Awsome man just Pure Awsome!

EL??? I guess you didn't read the part where I stated "10W Dental blue Led engine (running 1A @ 14.4V)":rolleyes:

:p

Second Video fixed.

Shadar Al'Niende
10-19-2009, 07:15 AM
Cool whip, Gravy! ;)

HAHAHA ROFL "cool whip"...nice :cool:

cardcollector
10-19-2009, 07:25 AM
Very cool!:cool:
Not much use against a lightsaber though...:D:D

grayven
10-19-2009, 07:48 AM
Very cool!:cool:
Not much use against a lightsaber though...:D:D

Yeah your right.:rolleyes: A whip against a sword would never have a chance.:rolleyes:

Did you read any of the EU books? It took two saber to beat one whip. And then I wouldn't even call it a win.

A whip in my hands not deadly but in someones hands that is as equally trained as someone with a sword (saber) the whip would win any day.

Now I say good day to you sir, I'm off to hit myself some more with my whip. ;)

cardcollector
10-19-2009, 07:51 AM
hmmmmmm, good point.

I've fought a flail before against a user who knew what they were doing...
Lost my sword in 5 seconds...:oops::oops::oops:

grayven
10-19-2009, 08:07 AM
I'll see if I can provoke Nova and Caine into a fight this weekend. Nova with a saber and Kane with my whip. We'll put this to the test.;)

Nova Did you hear what Caine said about you and your panzzy saber fighting style?:twisted:

Barmic Rin
10-19-2009, 08:50 AM
I'll see if I can provoke Nova and Caine into a fight this weekend. Nova with a saber and Kane with my whip. We'll put this to the test.;)

Nova Did you hear what Caine said about you and your panzzy saber fighting style?:twisted:

I heard it, though I had to ask J-lo what some of the words meant!!

Great work Gravy, though a shirt wouldn't go amiss... :-P

grayven
10-19-2009, 03:02 PM
Alright, Alright, I get it. On more gravy Man boobs.:mad:

For now on just look directly at the light thingy.

You know my wife actually said " Maybe you should put a shirt on and re shoot that".
Which I said "Nope that was a great take.":rolleyes:

Sunrider
10-19-2009, 07:44 PM
I can see the battle already. Master whipper enters the room when the sith apprentace appears at the critical moment. Master whipper rears back to unfurl the deadly whip. Suddenly sith uses force lung attack from a distance. The motion of the deadly whip continues, sweeps back around the master wrapping around his neck in a tragic instant. Sith puts saber away.

Firedrops
10-19-2009, 08:14 PM
amazing whip... i can still remember months ago whenever a the whip topic was suggested everyone went like "no... impractical...hard...dangerouse...bad dog..."-ish
good job on this.

Novastar
10-19-2009, 08:19 PM
I'll see if I can provoke Nova and Caine into a fight this weekend. Nova with a saber and Kane with my whip. We'll put this to the test.;)Hahahah, I'm down!! :) It would be fun, although for those who know me in the past (I mean BEFORE 2006, before I came to the "SW world" so-to-speak)... know I'm an advocate for the whip and variations on that type of weapon.

For those who are just talking out of their butts... let's go over some things that aren't questionable:

* "Real whip" or not... most whips are FAR longer than a sword

* True whips break the sound barrier... yes, that's right... the end of the whip cracks b/c it breaks the sound barrier. Don't believe me? Look it up--it's a FACT. If that gives you an indication of what happens to the substance/object/target on the receiving end... well... heeeeeeeerrrrrre's yer sign...

* The "randomness" and speed of the whip (like a flailing kite's tail in the wind)... is just bloody TOUGH to predict, and timing any kind of defense (or attack!) AGAINST a whip... is primarily a matter of luck in my opinion.

I *love* trying out real-time drills and exercises though... so... there's no reason why I can't don a mask and maybe some padded gloves (?) and let Gravy or whomever go nuts and see if I can get close without getting any severe thwacks.

I HIGHLY doubt I would be able to do so (without cheating and just simply "continuing to come forward")... but it'd be a FUN drill/game. Plus, if Gravy gets any good hits in, people will get to hear me laugh and go "OOOOOOWWWWWwwww....ohhh, ohhhh, ddddaaangg... ow, ow, ow..." lol

Make no mistake... even though Gravy's "cable style" whip isn't a de-facto bullwhip or stockwhip or snakewhip or blah blah blah blah bluh blah... it would probably hurt to be struck by it.

Nova Did you hear what Caine said about you and your panzzy saber fighting style?:twisted:hhahhahaha, with my gimpy ankle right now (from the bad sprain)... I won't be doing much fancy/advanced footwork... that's sure.

Although it's MUCH better lately. I can actually fence a bit now. Although... NOOOOOO FLIPS/TWISTS, lol!!! Not yet.

DJMoonbass
10-20-2009, 09:08 PM
okay how the heck did you get that 10 watt to work with a CF? my power source for my 10 watt green is 4 trustfire 14500s. and i want to use a CF but i want my blade flicker and stuff. but the CF wont work with that much voltage. come on what did he do?

Rhyen Skytracker
10-20-2009, 09:20 PM
You must make a video of the saber/whip duel. I would love to see the results.

Jedi-Loreen
10-20-2009, 11:19 PM
okay how the heck did you get that 10 watt to work with a CF? my power source for my 10 watt green is 4 trustfire 14500s. and i want to use a CF but i want my blade flicker and stuff. but the CF wont work with that much voltage. come on what did he do?
You'd have to ask Erv what he did.

Novastar
10-22-2009, 08:35 AM
You must make a video of the saber/whip duel. I would love to see the results.We will. Gravy, LDM, Mark Preader (Caine) and I are in L.A. this weekend... so rest assured, we'll have some cool vids to make.

Part of the reason I'm on this L.A. trip is to deliver Anis' gift saber. You guys can see a build vid on my y-tube acc for that.

But as to Gravy's whip... yah... again--this is definitely an AWESOME thing, I can't wait to see it. Definitely the first of its kind, and despite me wondering all these years when someone would make a REALLY awesome whip would happen... I'm now quite GLAD it took so long!!

It's a good precedent to set for later on and future whip-builders, and even n00bz alike. Love it. :)

Scum_and_Villainy
10-25-2009, 07:28 AM
I just saw the Jenzo vs Novastar pics on Facebook, and man... completely, utterly, and in all ways awesome!

Thaxos
10-25-2009, 08:25 AM
You'd have to ask Erv what he did.

It'd be my guess that you hook up the LED to a battery pack, and then the board without an LED on it, so run it purely for sound, which would have it's own battery pack.

Clockwork
10-25-2009, 09:27 AM
It'd be my guess that you hook up the LED to a battery pack, and then the board without an LED on it, so run it purely for sound, which would have it's own battery pack.

If this was true why does Grayven's LED flicker? Grayven is obviously running the LED off the CF

grayven
10-25-2009, 04:21 PM
Yes it was controlled by the CF and that is why it flickers.

Do you have a link to those pics Scum_and_Villainy?

That was a lot of fun this weekend and as Nova's video's will show, the whip is a very excellent weapon against a Lightsaber. In fact if you have a lightsaber and go against a light whip, Just go home. You will be better off.:p

The whip we used this weekend was a direct driver 10W because my CF got stuck on the menu and had to go back to Erv for repair.

This weekend was a fantastic. I met some really great people.

Jedi-Loreen
10-25-2009, 09:08 PM
I got to see and hold the light whip in person this weekend.:)

I didn't try whipping it though. :p

grayven
10-25-2009, 09:31 PM
wait till you see the video J-LO. And in case you didn't know you where of the great people I got to meet this weekend. I just wish we had more time.;)
There will be a next time, and it won't be A long long time from now in a galaxy far far away.

Jedi-Loreen
10-25-2009, 10:04 PM
lol.

I was hoping you were counting me as one of the "great people" you met. :D

At least got to enjoy hanging out with you guys for a couple of hours on Saturday, anyway.

Novastar
10-26-2009, 09:35 AM
I just saw the Jenzo vs Novastar pics on Facebook, and man... completely, utterly, and in all ways awesome!Wait until you see the video... I instigated Gravy and Jenzo to help me with a little "drill/test" to demonstrate the sheer STUPIDITY of anyone thinking that a whip was in any way inferior to or "equal to" a sword/lightsaber weapon.

I won't reveal any of the results yet, but... there will be a new thread, the video will tell the story, and... the light trails are just incredible. Plus a lot of slow motion!! :D

grayven
10-27-2009, 07:31 PM
Thanks to Nova for the video and the great time this weekend. That sounds a little dirty.:rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOHsRtmxzms

Scum_and_Villainy
10-27-2009, 09:42 PM
That video is awesome! It definitely shows the strengths of the lightwhip, as well as the drawbacks. Very instructive, and very cool!

3:47 made me cringe. Something like that happened to me in a fencing class once, but I imagine a whip would hurt quite a bit more.

Kant Lavar
10-27-2009, 11:17 PM
I do remember that when Luke took on Lumiya, he brought along a specially-constructed shoto. I think that'd probably help, but also I think a lot of his in-book ability to defend himself against the whip was because he could sense the blows coming through Force-based precognition.

Still, I think what one gains with the whip versus a lightsaber you might lose against blasters... so my combat strategy against a lightwhip? Massed automatic fire, baby! :twisted:

Still can't get over how cool the whip turned out, though!

cardcollector
10-28-2009, 07:55 AM
Well, you've convinced me....

that's what a back up blaster is for!!!!

It looked like the users of the whip got hit more than you did though.:)

I'd still take a double blade anyday... just not againt a whip.

Onli-Won Kanomi
10-28-2009, 05:37 PM
Yeah that lightwhip is all kinds of MAJOR awesomeness...against one saber no contest...against two sabers to block at two separated points so the whip can't coil around to strike...hmmm maybe not so clear cut, in theory anyway...but I suspect it would take a LOT of skill in 'Jar-Kai' to space the two blades correctly to EFFECTIVELY block a whip...plus darn good LUCK [and Jedi precognition]. Methinks Kant has the better counter-whip solution: full auto blaster with a high rate of fire; even with Jedi precog a whipper couldnt do much Soresu BBD with a flexy whip...or better yet blast the whipper with a [Star-Wars-ized] shotgun eh?

Novastar
10-29-2009, 12:45 AM
We can talk theories all day and night, but until things get demonstrated with some kind of concrete result... it's all pie-in-da-sky. :)

As to dual sabers vs. the whip... well, Mark (Caine Druthul) said he'd like to try that. I'll figure out a way to wield a whip (I suppose I can just use my makeshift "Jones Whip" attachment that people might have seen here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRBXqWi7XJw)... or do something comparable for the experiment.

My predictions for the dual-wielding vs. whip = ... today is not your day--tomorrow doesn't look good either. :) At least, for the mostpart. It MIGHT offer a bit more in the line of defense, but... I honestly think Mark won't be able to even strike me. Well... not before I strike him. And again, even if he is able to defend and get close... it will likely result in the dreaded double-kill. Yuck.

As to blasters vs. sabers/whips... um, I guess if we want to go into "that zone", you have nerf guns that can fire a lot of rounds (I have a video coming demonstrating this vs. a saber in a simple way)... but the REALITY of a human blocking even a simple projectile of ~1" or < in diameter with a 1" OD polycarbonate tube = fairly poor results, even under ideal conditions.

Ideal conditions meaning... the shooter is just firing to let the saber-wielder "have fun" and try deflecting. So... as if they have no intention of charging in or moving around or even firing in a random fashion. It's *HELLA* hard to stop incoming nerf shots with a 1" polytube. It is *NOT* akin to baseball bat & ball. Not a bit of it.

Is the concept of a "whip vs. nerf blaster" worth bringing up?? No. No. Not a chance. No. Not. Nada. Zilch. Zero. It would be complete and utter luck if you were to achieve a "whipflection". :D

Especially when you consider that the whip's OD is like < 0.5". GOOD LUCK!! :P

Onli-Won Kanomi
10-29-2009, 06:18 AM
Well I thought my answer indicated I was looking at it from an 'in universe' perspective not "reality" hence terms like "lightwhip" "Jar-Kai" "blasters" etc. and not "bullwhip", "Florentine style", or "submachinegun" so I don't know where "the REALITY of a HUMAN [emphasis added] blocking..." comes into it. In Star Wars, where lightsabers exist, fictionally, Jedi are SUPERhuman so the possibility of deflecting a "blaster bolt" [which seems about as ridiculously slow as a nerf projectile] with a combination of super-speed and precognition may not be so absurd...if you want to drag REALITY into it though then sure HUMANS cant deflect even relatively slow .45 ACP 230 gr 850fps from a Mac 10 32rdsx1200RPM even with a solid titanium stick any better than a polycarbonate one...but Kant's point about blasters [or submachine guns] if I understood it correctly was that if "lightwhip beats lightsaber" [or bullwhip beats rapier]then "blaster beats lightwhip" [or SMG beats bullwhip] in the rock-paper-scissors of such things...

...though personally I prefer rock-paper-scissors-lizard-Spock, but once you bring Spock into it everything goes awry...;-)

I don't disagree at all with your "prediction"...indeed I expect you'll be proven absolutely right...in "REALITY" of a human" demonstrations of TOY/PROP 'lightsabers' dual-wielded versus a 'lightwhip' TOY/PROP versus TOY/PROP Nerf 'blasters'.

As I would expect to be the case of dual rapiers vs bullwhips vs SMGs.

But of course if REAL precognitive superhumans wielding them with superspeed existed the results might be very different for real lightsabers, real lightwhips, and real blasters, if those existed, than in testing by HUMANS.

For that matter if precognitive superhumans existed to wield our real rapiers versus our real bullwhips versus our real SMGs the results might be different than those being wielded by us real humans too...but we can't KNOW how...

So in stepping beyond Theory to Experimentation we need to in mind before drawing conclusions about how LIGHTwhips *might* fare against LIGHTsabers that they ONLY 'exist' at all in a fictional milieu where exist wielders who are NOT us mere humans...to draw conclusions towards UNreal weapons from 'reality' demonstrations without accounting for that is like changing only one side of an equation...bad math...bad Method.

I agree with your prediction...I'd like to see the experiment...but it wont prove how lightwhips would perform against lightsabers if they actually existed wielded by actual Jedi/Sith if they actually existed.

Theoreticians should always yield to the results of Experimentalists...as long as the experiment addresses the theoretical question validly...with fictional weapons predicated upon a fictional milieu wherein superhuman capabilities exist that cannot be accounted for experimentally in our Reality with mere human experimental subjects no valid experimental conclusions towards lightwhips or lightsabers can be drawn...thus it falls back into the bailiwick of us theoreticians ;-) :-P

But it sure is fun to watch that great vid...:-)

Scum_and_Villainy
10-29-2009, 07:51 AM
From an in-universe perspective, I doubt a blaster would be any more effective against a lightwhip than it would be against a lightsaber. Then again, I'm not entirely sure how a lightsaber blade "works". Does the blaster bolt reflect because of the magnetic properties that keep the blade in check? Is a blaster bolt hitting a lightsaber blade akin to a laser hitting a mirror? If so, then a lightwhip, which has the same properties of a lightsaber with flexibility, should have no problem deflecting blaster bolts.

Back on topic: that lightwhip was nothing short of awesome. I look forward to more duels and, if possible, a full choreographed session with costumes and everything. I've been wanting to see that since that whip scene in The Rundown.

Onli-Won Kanomi
10-29-2009, 08:01 AM
Yeah a full choreographed session would be amazing...maybe a lightwhip might find its way into a future BoP? It would WOW audiences for sure.

cardcollector
10-29-2009, 10:59 AM
As to blasters vs. sabers/whips... um, I guess if we want to go into "that zone", you have nerf guns that can fire a lot of rounds (I have a video coming demonstrating this vs. a saber in a simple way)... but the REALITY of a human blocking even a simple projectile of ~1" or < in diameter with a 1" OD polycarbonate tube = fairly poor results, even under ideal conditions.

Ideal conditions meaning... the shooter is just firing to let the saber-wielder "have fun" and try deflecting. So... as if they have no intention of charging in or moving around or even firing in a random fashion. It's *HELLA* hard to stop incoming nerf shots with a 1" polytube. It is *NOT* akin to baseball bat & ball. Not a bit of it.

I can deflect rubberbands coming out of a gun fairly well, but you're right- If they start charging you... you're toast.:D

Raith
10-29-2009, 11:42 AM
must build light whip... Gravy, any hints on the assembly of the emitter/"blade" would be appreciated... lol

grayven
10-29-2009, 04:41 PM
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c156/robodragonsdf1/StarWars/006-5.jpg

Just finished the new one.

Onli-Won Kanomi
10-29-2009, 06:11 PM
Ooh nice and Sithy...methinks Lumiya would love it.

What are you using for an LED on this one?

grayven
10-29-2009, 07:51 PM
A 1000000W lux VCIIIX

grayven
10-29-2009, 08:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwwsQ-1xzLA

LM pleas merge, my bad.

Kal El Rah
10-29-2009, 08:40 PM
Me likes this 1 more than the blue 1.:D;)

Onli-Won Kanomi
10-30-2009, 09:59 AM
Light whips seem 'Sithy' to me somehow so the P4 red seems appropriate but I hope you do a green next that would be da bomb, esp if it was a LuxV or 10W green.

grayven
10-30-2009, 10:05 AM
My plans as they stand first hinge on the sale of the new red one. After that I will go a Blue, Green and ........ Hopefully purple. Although Preliminary test with purple was not great. But that is three possible whips from now.

I of coarse want a purple whip for my self.:cool:

DarthHideous
10-30-2009, 06:09 PM
Awesome video. I didn't appreciate the true potential of the Light Whip until
the fight video. Just one thing though, will Nova still be able to have kids as
a result of the groin hit? Very funny, for the rest of us anyway. :o

Novastar
10-31-2009, 05:19 PM
<--- is Halloween'ing as a Eunuch...

:D

lol

grayven
10-31-2009, 05:50 PM
I'm sending Nova A neuticle.:p

DarthHideous
11-01-2009, 07:43 AM
Maybe next time Nova, wear an armored Vader cod piece.
Isn't Vader's armor saber proof? You can't hurt what you
can't hit.:p

Novastar
11-01-2009, 10:53 PM
All joking aside, it was definitely not even close to the worst hit I've ever had, and... as everyone can plainly see--I continued on just fine.

Hasn't affected my *ahem* time with my fiancee' in the least bit, either... :)

Beyond that... I may as well mention that one of the reasons I love sabre fencing--is simply because the nutz are NOT part of the target area. Strangely enough, they ARE part of the target area in foil and epee'.

And, although it's true that mistakes are made... I can't remember the last time I was struck in the nutz (from fencing and even sparring)--except by Gravy, lol! So... I think it's been like... 8+ years??!

This would also come from the reasoning that it was Gravy's "first time" sparring (his words)... and he wouldn't have known any better than to avoid doing an "upward flick" style of attack... at a very central target... AND while in close quarters! :D I don't blame him, hahahah... we all had a lot of fun that night!

Besides... in my thinking, using the whip in that fashion (wrist snap that is an upward flick) is a VERY natural move, since the whip will generally be laying on the ground... so... now that it's coming up, it probably would be a good idea to have a cup/protector if anyone else does the drill/experiment.

I haven't worn a cup for sports since I played baseball back in the day though... :) So... it's not like I had one handy. Let alone in L.A. Let alone when we just decided to bust out with the experiment. :D

Chris
09-07-2010, 11:17 AM
Great videos guys. I working on building my first Saber. Never worked with electronics before so im having to learn everything as I go, and its slow going. I didn't even know about this site when I started.

My wife is going to be Lumiya for Halloween, I would ask for the specs to see if I could make a lightwhip before then, but im pretty sure that is a waste of time. So Gravy, you got one I can by from you?

jin starkiller
09-07-2010, 11:37 AM
1. you resuerected a very old thread
2. No solicitation of any kind on these boards
3. read the do and don'ts of this forum

Here

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=7360

Jedi-Loreen
09-07-2010, 10:08 PM
You also spelled "buy" wrong.....

Caine Drathul
09-07-2010, 10:22 PM

lol!

BTW, since this thread was resurrected, Gravy posted a vid on Facebook showing the whip is now a true purple instead of pink. No FoC from what I can see (maybe the vid doesn't show it up good), but still looks tight.

grayven
09-07-2010, 11:14 PM
Yes true purple with White Clash flash. I need to up load it to youtube.
I'll go do it now. ;)
Check into Side-glow fiber

Caine Drathul
09-08-2010, 12:44 AM
Yeah, it was hard to tell from the vid. But glad to hear you got your purple mojo going, Gravy!

grayven
09-08-2010, 06:39 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZEVyJTqLcM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bBjNV0_Rxw

RevengeoftheSeth
09-08-2010, 06:52 AM

If we start cracking down on spelling, that's going to be an 24-hour job.

FenderBender
09-08-2010, 06:57 AM
Hey Gravy, did you just use the W die or did you hook the W and G together? The flash is much more pronounced with the G and W wired in series with a resistor than just the W die.

cardcollector
09-08-2010, 08:10 AM
If we start cracking down on spelling, that's going to be an 24-hour job.

It's her job...

and she does rather well at it.:p

RevengeoftheSeth
09-08-2010, 08:21 AM
It's her job...

I highly doubt Tim cares about people's spelling...

grayven
09-08-2010, 08:34 AM
Hey Gravy, did you just use the W die or did you hook the W and G together? The flash is much more pronounced with the G and W wired in series with a resistor than just the W die.

Just the white. I think I might expand the length of the flash time to see if that helps some. Purple really dose wash out white. I'm OK with it though, you can still see it in person.

xl97
09-08-2010, 09:05 AM
shes a MOD here..

TIM appointed.

just let it die...

everyone has a personality.. spelling nazi is hers. ;)

learn to love/embrace it.. or just move on. :)

RevengeoftheSeth
09-08-2010, 09:57 AM
shes a MOD here..

TIM appointed.

just let it die...

everyone has a personality.. spelling nazi is hers. ;)

learn to love/embrace it.. or just move on. :)

Nobody's perfect. But, fine.

xl97
09-08-2010, 10:07 AM
exactly..

nobody's perfect.. (even J-Lo)..

chalk it up to personality.. =)

grayven
09-08-2010, 10:12 AM
I am the worst speller here, But I can appreciate one who takes the time to try and help me be better. To her it would be the equivalent of us putting a math equation down like 2 + 2 = 6. Wrong is wrong. You do bad math here and watch what happens.

Remember know one can upset you if you don't let them.

RevengeoftheSeth
09-08-2010, 10:24 AM
Chalk it up to my personality to defend the little guys. It's the Marine in me.

I agreed to drop it, so let me do so.

Jedi-Loreen
09-08-2010, 11:07 AM
I'm being more selective about who I correct.

I only corrected this guy's "buy" because he was violating the No Soliciting rule that he already got chastised for. Apparently Seth didn't see the joke in that like I did.

If I tried to correct all the spelling here, I'd never have time for anything else. :p And people would get mad, then fill up Tim's Inbox with all their butthurtz forms.

I will still correct Proper and Place names though. Or if I'm trying to figure out what the heck someone's really trying to say because it's unintelligible, which does happen from time to time.

There are actually people who don't get offended with me correcting them, too.

And I'm not the only one who corrects people, either, so I'll leave more of it up to the others who also do it. ;)

RevengeoftheSeth
09-08-2010, 11:54 AM
Sorry, I didn't see the joke, you are right. I didn't bring it up because I am personally offended (I'm really not), I just hate to see people get nit-picked for unimportant reasons (blame my naggy upbringing). I probably shouldn't try to speak for other people. In any case, I apologize for being a thorn in everyone's side and I'll keep my mouth shut from now on.

If I've offended anyone, I'm sorry.

Shadar Al'Niende
09-08-2010, 12:40 PM
Your post shows why you don't have to be a thorn Seth. You fessed up, said your piece and moved on like a mature adult... good on ya.

Ronan
09-08-2010, 04:22 PM
I'm being more selective about who I correct.

I only corrected this guy's "buy" because he was violating the No Soliciting rule that he already got chastised for. Apparently Seth didn't see the joke in that like I did.

If I tried to correct all the spelling here, I'd never have time for anything else. :p And people would get mad, then fill up Tim's Inbox with all their butthurtz forms.

I will still correct Proper and Place names though. Or if I'm trying to figure out what the heck someone's really trying to say because it's unintelligible, which does happen from time to time.

There are actually people who don't get offended with me correcting them, too.

And I'm not the only one who corrects people, either, so I'll leave more of it up to the others who also do it. ;)

I found 2 spelling mistakes.

Jedi-Loreen
09-08-2010, 05:44 PM
My spell check only caught inbox, but that's how it's spelled in my email.

And butthurtz, spelled that way intentionally. It's sort of an inside joke with some of my friends.

Ronan
09-08-2010, 07:21 PM
My spell check only caught inbox, but that's how it's spelled in my email.

And butthurtz, spelled that way intentionally. It's sort of an inside joke with some of my friends.

:twisted: Sureeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :p

I had some good laugh following the 'discussion' here btw :D

jjshumpert
09-09-2010, 04:54 AM
LOL butthurtz never gets old sis :D

grayven
09-09-2010, 08:27 AM
Second site that my Lightwhip thread got jacked.:rolleyes:

Sweet.
LOL

xl97
09-09-2010, 08:38 AM
(you're on a roll).. ;)

is it posted at FX?

I can go there and make it 3 if you want?

you let me know!

hahaha

grayven
09-09-2010, 06:02 PM
I knew I could always count on a brother. LOL

No I don't have one there but I'm sure if I made one you would jack it for me.

Wait that didn't sound right.

Actually......It did.;)

infa008
09-11-2010, 01:52 AM
I read the old lightwhip stuff and now that this new build with the 10W and durability, man I'm really impressed and now a little jealous. Will definitely be trying to build one. Thanks Gravy

Novastar
09-14-2010, 02:15 PM
Gravy, you should take Fender's advice... I think he's right--meaning you'll get a brighter flash.

Also, if I'm not mistaken and you're using 7.2v... if you have "RB" in series or parallel or whatever... for the flash, you should go series with "gw", and you won't even need a resistor, because:

* The total voltage needed/required for "gw" in series is => 7.4v
* The flash is brief enough so that you can't draw TONS of amps...
* In order to even DRAW a giant amount of amps--you'd need MORE than the voltage the battery pack can offer.

Now, I could be wrong about this, but it's been proven to work with my CF boards in the past (on RGGB and RGBA setups)... and even if I did/would use a resistor... I'd go for 0.75 or 1ohm at the most. :)

You will also waste close to no energy during the flash, since you won't be resisting ~3w, aka 3.3ohm (2-4watt capable), etc.