PDA

View Full Version : Firedrop's on-going Saber design check(And questions)

Firedrops
10-16-2009, 06:10 AM
sorry, i'm deleting this thread because i'm submitting a later version of this for the alliance saber project.

mods feel free to delete this thread entirely, lock it up or do whatever you want with it.

ComdtJustin
10-16-2009, 07:32 AM
As far as a blade retention screw, if you're talking about this: http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Switch-Bezel-Nut-P270.aspx you'll need to rethink your method. That is meant to screw over one of the TCSS switches.

Your best bet for something you don't need an alan wrench for would most likely be something like this: http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/8-32-x-12-thumb-screw--P111.aspx

There is a great tutorial for the wiring and soldering located here: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=8537

Also, are you planning on buying one of the TCSS blade holders and customizing it?

As far as space for electronics, it looks like you've got the space. I'm not sure about space requirements for what you have plus a soundboard if you're planning on including that, as I haven't done a sound lightsaber yet, but you probably have enough room there too.

A standard tip that anyone here will tell you is read read read. You can't do enough reading on this forum! If you have questions, research them. If they're not answered, I hear the shoutbox is a good second channel. If the question is still not answered, then post it.

Firedrops
10-16-2009, 07:53 AM
hmm as for the bezel nut thing, i'm not referring to that one in particular, but something similar. i remember seeing afew sabers use them(i forgot which), and Goodman is adding those kind of retention nuts for me on another saber that is already in production, so i'm pretty sure that its possible.
And no, i don't plan on buying the main hilt parts from TCSS as i plan to make it out of Chrome to give it that shiny and polished effect(and brass for shroud/sleeve). well maybe i'll buy the pommel 2 from TCSS as its probably going to be quite a bother to make one.(did i mention the conversion rates are killer?)
and for the electric diagrams i'm like URGH%&)@$*()#
my father would probably be able to do them since he specializes in electronics,engineering and those sort. so hopefully i can just watch and learn
i've had zero first hand experience in this kind of things(excluding school work like joining a bulb to a battery using crocodile clips :oops:)

Jedi-Loreen
10-16-2009, 11:33 AM
Um, chrome is metal plating, you can't make things out of it directly, you can't machine it. A chrome sink tube is really made of brass or copper and has a chrome plating over it.

Chromium is a lustrous, hard, brittle, metallic element used in alloy steels for hardness and corrosion resistance, as in stainless steel, and for plating other metals.

You can make the hilt out of something, then have it chromed, but it might be expensive to do so.

You can polish aluminum to look almost as shiny as chrome though. Take a look at sabers that Zook has made. He's very good at polishing the aluminum MHS parts.

Firedrops
10-16-2009, 09:25 PM
Okay thanks, i didn't know that.
In that case i'll probably go for ultra mega kickass polished aluminium.
so is the brass okay? or does it need to be plated as well?

Jedi-Loreen
10-16-2009, 10:00 PM
The brass if fine, I think most people know it's an actual metal. :rolleyes:

It's an alloy of mostly copper and zinc.

I don't think there's such a thing as brass plating, anyway. Not the same way that chrome is done.

Firedrops
10-17-2009, 03:07 AM
The brass if fine, I think most people know it's an actual metal. :rolleyes:

It's an alloy of mostly copper and zinc.

I don't think there's such a thing as brass plating, anyway. Not the same way that chrome is done.

hehe okay... urgh...:oops:

so how can the claw be attached? from the looks of it, a claw-mount would be needed, i think i'll just do it the way TCSS used to.
is the claw and claw mount is one piece? not 2 pieces combined somehow?
what other ways can i attach the claw onto the hilt?

EDIT: Check 1st post again for latest design

Thaxos
10-17-2009, 09:45 AM

so how can the claw be attached? from the looks of it, a claw-mount would be needed, i think i'll just do it the way TCSS used to.

EDIT: Check 1st post again for latest design

In case you didn't notice, Tim doesn't currently sell the claws.
They're undergoing a redesign, as for when that is done, I'm not exactly sure.

beggarsoutpost
10-17-2009, 09:53 AM

EDIT: Check 1st post again for latest design Drill and tap a hole in the claw and the bladeholder then attach the claw to the bladeholder.... most likely with a button head screw.....

Firedrops
10-17-2009, 07:19 PM
How thick is the claw?

I'll probably be making that part myself if its not too difficult, if it is, then i'll have to wait for it to be released by TCSS

Firedrops
10-21-2009, 07:53 AM
bump+edits, i have decided to abandon the recharge port idea, it felt kinda hard for me, and i decided having interchangeable batteries would allow for a longer total runtime.
would a reverse-sound require differen't wiring setups? or is it simply differently arranged, and has holes coming out above the speaker?