PDA

View Full Version : Probably a silly question, but...

Graindog
10-14-2009, 04:35 PM
This one's a matter of opinion, I'm sure. But I had a seller on ebay just tell me that an EL blade running at 18v "IS" brighter than the 4.5v MR sabers. I'm thoroughly confused now. I thought LED was brighter than EL by a noticeable amount, even the strip LED's in the FX sabers? I'm foggy with electronics, but I do know that the battery size doesn't necessarily indicate how bright the saber is going to be. Is there something I'm missing here? :confused:

Jedi-Loreen
10-14-2009, 04:49 PM
It'll be brighter, but it'll also dim out faster at that voltage, EL wire and film have sort of a half-life, which is shorter than the life of overdriven LEDs. It has to do with the phosphorous coating it uses.

You also need an inverter that can handle that voltage without burning out. I've never see EL run at 18V so I don't now how it compares to Lux LEDs.

You might be able to run the inverters that Tim sells at that voltage, but I'd only do it for a short time. He doesn't recommend them for more than 12V.

Lord Dottore Matto
10-14-2009, 09:47 PM
Lemme help on this.

18V EL is brighter than Red MR/Hfx string blades. 18 V EL with a 4Khz inverter will work correctly (that is what Parks was using before he went with the "phase blade" sabers).

Jedi-Loreen
10-15-2009, 01:53 AM
Hmm, now I'm curious to try that. Put 18V on a 4kHz inverter and see how bright it really is.

I just have to fine my inverter and find, or make an adapter.

Maybe I'll even throw a simple sink tube hilt together just for the heck of it. I've even got an old EL sink tube blade holder that Tim sent me that I've never done anything with.

DragonStar
10-22-2009, 03:28 PM
I just have to fine my inverter

How much are you gonna fine it? I'd say $250 so you can buy a new saber. :-P

Jedi-Loreen
10-22-2009, 03:36 PM
Nah, not that much, that's a little steep of a fine. :p

Or maybe I'll just ground it for a while. :lol:

Lan-Ja Hamil
10-28-2009, 06:58 PM
And the pun starts here.:rolleyes:

Jedi-Loreen
10-28-2009, 07:55 PM
Well, I got caught having made a typo, so I might as well make fun of myself. :p

Strydur
10-28-2009, 08:52 PM
A lot of our customers have used 18v with our 4k inverters. I still dont think the brightest EL saber is as bright as any standard FX or LED saber though.