PDA

View Full Version : What to do when hilt threads are damaged?

Maurnick
10-14-2009, 10:36 AM
So after some test fitting and finally getting everything wired up I go to assemble the hilt.

Two parts in particular lock up no matter how much I clean out the threads or WD40 them. They were fine on all the other test fits. Now all of a sudden? :mad:

On visual inspection, the treads look fine. A little rough to the touch. But nothing cross threaded and no debris.

Anyway to salvage the parts? At last resort I was thinking of filing down the threads and just using a set screw to hold the parts together.

DarthHideous
10-14-2009, 10:47 AM
I wouldn't file down the threads just yet. Just run up and down the threads and see where the snags are.
You can use a small hobby file to "gently" smooth out the area a little at a time until it threads smoothly.
Just take your time. If you rush, you could make it worse. A tooth brush makes a good thread cleaning tool.
When the brush gets dirty, just spray with WD40 and scrub bristles clean.

Don't use a wire brush as aluminum is very soft.

Maurnick
10-14-2009, 11:12 AM
Thanks. I'll give it a shot.

Not much I can do if the problem is on the female threads though, huh :confused:

FenderBender
10-14-2009, 11:51 AM
WD-40 is NOT a lubricant. It is a solvent or water displacer, hence WD. You need to get some OIL on those threads. CRC lube, chain lube, hell PAM for gods sake.

Rhyen Skytracker
10-14-2009, 12:28 PM
I use 3-n-1 oil because it is what I have around the house. Even motor oil will help, but as Fender said, WD-40 is not a lubricant.

Lord Maul
10-14-2009, 12:41 PM
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=2767

Already a thread on this...did you try going through it?

Maurnick
10-14-2009, 01:46 PM
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=2767

Already a thread on this...did you try going through it?

Thanks. I had come across that thread a while back before I had any problems. I couldn't find it again.

I'll probably try filing out the rough spots then getting some anti-seize stuff. Threads seem to be real crunchy.

annon
10-14-2009, 04:26 PM
try the oil before you file, you'd be surprised how often that will fix it. ;)

Shadar Al'Niende
10-14-2009, 06:22 PM
I know this probably doesn't help much now but maybe for future refrence once you get them unstuck?

When i get my MHS parts i treat them like they are made of glass (literally) I am very gentle with them ESPECIALLY the threads. When i get them i carefully lay them out and take the wrapping off one at a time, laying them on a clean, dry surface. Then i take an old, clean toothbrush and dip it in a small cup of Canola oil (its what i have ok? :p) and tap it on the side of the cup to get the excess out. After that i swirl it around the threads until they are LIGHTLY oiled. (too much and you have a mess)

As for screwing them together after the prep work is done, i gently put the parts together. I "back them out" (as if unscrewing them) 1/4 - 1/2 turn to make sure the threads are set even, and then gently screw the pieces together making sure to check for any resistance. Generally it goes together without a hitch...(pun intended) Maybe i'm over careful, maybe someone else has a better idea...but I have un/screwed my parts together multiple times with no problem.

Hopefully when you get the threads straightened out...lol this will help keep them that way... *shrug* just my .02 :D

Maurnick
10-15-2009, 11:26 AM
I know this probably doesn't help much now but maybe for future refrence once you get them unstuck?

When i get my MHS parts i treat them like they are made of glass (literally) I am very gentle with them ESPECIALLY the threads. When i get them i carefully lay them out and take the wrapping off one at a time, laying them on a clean, dry surface. Then i take an old, clean toothbrush and dip it in a small cup of Canola oil (its what i have ok? :p) and tap it on the side of the cup to get the excess out. After that i swirl it around the threads until they are LIGHTLY oiled. (too much and you have a mess)

As for screwing them together after the prep work is done, i gently put the parts together. I "back them out" (as if unscrewing them) 1/4 - 1/2 turn to make sure the threads are set even, and then gently screw the pieces together making sure to check for any resistance. Generally it goes together without a hitch...(pun intended) Maybe i'm over careful, maybe someone else has a better idea...but I have un/screwed my parts together multiple times with no problem.

Hopefully when you get the threads straightened out...lol this will help keep them that way... *shrug* just my .02 :D

Surprisingly I did everything you just mentioned. Minus the oil part. I'll have to remember that for future builds.

FenderBender
10-15-2009, 12:02 PM
Strap wrenches are your friend;)

Maurnick
10-16-2009, 12:59 PM
Strap wrenches are your friend;)

lol yeah. I had to use 2 of those rubber pot holder/mats to get a good grip to untwist them. Worked excellently.

Sunrider
10-16-2009, 04:16 PM
The best way to fix the threads is to wrap a small towel around the piece. Hold it down tight to the floor & use a thread file to remove any burs. Be careful not to scratch unwanted surfaces. You can usually find a double sided thread file at sears or similar in the tool dept. Hold the file next to the threads up to a light to see what is the right pitch yo use. The best anti sieze is the graphite stuff. Use it sparingly or it gets everywhere.

SR