PDA

View Full Version : Ok new to this, help plz.

sgt_geist
10-13-2009, 08:16 PM
Well I was going through the builder and came to a cool lookin design IMO. I need some opinions on the parts of it, and I want to make sure I will have everything I need. I have the picture from my photobucket, but I dont know how to share my wish list so I guess i have to name all the parts...
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y194/therocketman321/Awesome/SaberBuilder_render.png
Keep in mind i want to build it, and then add a blade and LED later in time....

*PARTS*
Hilt style 4 with guarded style switch hole X 1
Screw on LED blade holder style 17 X 1
MPS Pommel style 4 X 1
Double ended male threaded connector X 1
1-3/16" ID Black O-ring X 4
3" Double female threaded connector X 1
8-32 x 3/8" Red Acetal thumb screw X 1
MPS Clip X 1
MPS Insert style 4 X 1
8-32 x 3/8" socket head X 1
8-32 x 1/4" socket head X 1
10-32 x 3/8" Red Acetal thumb screw X 1
Machined button for Covertec clip X 1
Stainless Covertec Clip X 1

With all of these parts, what blade would I have to get later on and what specs for the LED? Whats the difference between a 5 and 10 LED thingy? When it comes to building model stuff Im so lost, but I want to give it a shot.

Kastor
10-13-2009, 09:35 PM
Some one much older and wiser will be along to tell you this sooner or later... Keep Reading. I know it can be really daunting but I've been around here for a few months and am still learning and cross checking everything to make sure I've got everything down. You can really find everything you need to know and if you have more specific questions ask, every one is really friendly. Point being if you ask for general information like this people will just tell you to keep reading.

That said, Your hilt looks in order. That being all your external or housing parts. One note, looks like you either need another screw for your "blade retention screw" or you need to move one up to the blade emitter where it will hold in your blade.

Asides from that we can't really help you until you answer some other questions... like
Will it have a sound board, will it be for show or combat worthy, what color is your blade and intern what LED will you be using. All of these things will lead you to your answers.

Start with this thread http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35 it will give you some idea of what to look for. Happy hunting, hope that helps.

Jedi-Loreen
10-13-2009, 10:38 PM
Also read this thread:

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=6430

And why do you have so many screws on your list?:confused:

DarthHideous
10-14-2009, 01:08 AM
Sgt., I have only been here for a few months and after building my first, I soon realized that before you build,
plan for what's going on the inside (sound board, LED, battery type, switch, etc). These elements require so much
room and you will be surprised how quickly room runs out inside the hilt. For example, the MHS speaker/battery combo
takes up 2.5". Keep in mind that whatever the length of a MHS part is with female threads, the threaded area takes up 1/2".
So that 7" #4 hilt body has only 6" of room lengthwise. You should, however, have enough room for whatever in that hilt.
It looks like you have about 9" of space. Oh yeah, their right about the Red Acetate blade screw, it needs to be on the
blade holder. Just make sure you put it on the shorter side of the opening. This will put pressure on the longer side.

FenderBender
10-14-2009, 04:43 AM
Sgt., I have only been here for a few months and after building my first, I soon realized that before you build,
plan for what's going on the inside (sound board, LED, battery type, switch, etc). These elements require so much
room and you will be surprised how quickly room runs out inside the hilt. For example, the MHS speaker/battery combo
takes up 2.5". Keep in mind that whatever the length of a MHS part is with female threads, the threaded area takes up 1/2".
So that 7" #4 hilt body has only 6" of room lengthwise. You should, however, have enough room for whatever in that hilt.
It looks like you have about 9" of space. Oh yeah, their right about the Red Acetate blade screw, it needs to be on the
blade holder. Just make sure you put it on the shorter side of the opening. This will put pressure on the longer side.

Yes, the threaded area takes up 1/2", but if you are using a heatsink at one end it uses the lip witch is another 1/8th and the lug on the heatsink extends another 3/8ths down into the hilt. The speakermount also uses the lip on the other end as well.

sgt_geist
10-14-2009, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the advice on reading up a bit more, but wow am I even more confused. I guess to clarify on my questions, does my saber have enough room for the Luxeon V, I guess, the 6 AA holder Green LED? And I guess I would add an FX box, but another thing to ask is, when you get all the parts, do they have any instructions on how to actualy assemble any of it? Also for the actual hilt, is it really as simple as screwing it together?

As for the red screw near the top, if it is sitting on the threading I guess I could always move it.

Jedi-Loreen
10-14-2009, 01:28 PM
The MHS parts really just simply screw together.

There are no instructions that come with the parts.

There are tutorials on how to do the electronics.

Not sure what you mean by "FX box".

Get the 10 degree lens, you won't have to mess with modifying it like you will with the 5 degree lens to get it to fit into the lens holder.

The 6AA battery pack is almost 6 1/2 inches long.

sgt_geist
10-14-2009, 02:55 PM
So I went back to redo the color. And I outlined in blue so the parts can be looked at seperately.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y194/therocketman321/Awesome/SaberColor.png

And I noticed some parts werent moved over when I modeled the saber, so I added them and added drill bit and taps to the wish list. And I guess I cant do the 6AA with the FX box (the sound box). When you paint this metal, do you need to lay down primer, or just add the paint?

DarthHideous
10-14-2009, 05:33 PM
If you plan on using 9v, a 9v battery would take up a lot less room that 6AA batteries.
Also, the FX sound boards can only handle 6v max. You might want to go with two
Trustfire Li-Ion 3.7v batteries (7.4v total) rechargables sold at the store.
However, you will have to use a voltage regulator to keep from frying the FX board.

About the paint, you can have it powder coated through the store. If you prefer paint,
primer is always best for a great finish with fine sanding (1000+ grit) the primer before final coat.

Jedi-Loreen
10-14-2009, 05:47 PM
One 9V battery doesn't have the current rating or run time that 6AAs have. 9Vs are never recommended for Lux V, or really any LED saber applications.

DarthHideous
10-14-2009, 05:51 PM
Thanks J-Lo, I didn't know that. I haven't used that combo.

sgt_geist
10-14-2009, 09:38 PM
One 9V battery doesn't have the current rating or run time that 6AAs have. 9Vs are never recommended for Lux V, or really any LED saber applications.

Would it be possible to use a rechargeable battery pack instead of that huge 6AA box, and if so where would you put the rechargable port, and how would you plug it up?

This is the original part list, then the new items added.

Hilt style 4 with guarded style switch hole X 1
Screw on LED blade holder style 17 X 1
MPS Pommel style 4 X 1
Double ended male threaded connector X 1
1-3/16" ID Black O-ring X 4
3" Double female threaded connector X 1 <-----------Also for this part should I get a 4" or 5" to make the hilt a tad bigger, or is the 3 fine?
8-32 x 3/8" Red Acetal thumb screw X 1
MPS Clip X 1
MPS Insert style 6 X 1
8-32 x 3/8" socket head X 1
8-32 x 1/4" socket head X 1
10-32 x 3/8" Red Acetal thumb screw X 1
Machined button for Covertec clip X 1
Stainless Covertec Clip X 1

*NEW PARTS ADDED*
8-32 Tap & drill set X 1
10-32 Tap & drill set X 1
1.25" Sink tube LED/Blade holder X 1 <----Do I need this part?
MHS choke style 1 short X 1
3/4" Hilt safety plug X 1
Tap handle X 1

Now I know I really have to do a bit more research with this whole LED bit. Ok you did answer my question about the hilt, it pretty much screws together, but should I get extra screws to hold it together?
The sound box thing is crystal Focus? Is that what that thing is called? Pretty cool!

Jedi-Loreen
10-15-2009, 02:25 AM
You can certainly use a rechargable battery pack and recharge port. Not sure I'd suggest this for your first saber, though.

There's lots of info about wiring recharge ports. Read through this thread, and you can do a search for more info on these.

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=2235