PDA

View Full Version : Design and a list..ready to order?

Crystal Chambers
10-08-2009, 05:17 PM
I've been doing a lot of research over the last month here and I think I finally have a design I'm happy with and the list to complete it but could use a little help before placing my order. Thanks so much everyone for the helpful advice posted here, especial some of the comprehensive tutorials.

The first design is all brass sink tube (1.5 and 1.25), and is very loosely based on Jay-gon's use of MHS adapters in his tutorials. I have brass on brass overlays, and a pvc grip, that I'm now considering reeded brass for If I can find it in 1.5 ID. Oh yeah and I have a clip system off a cell phone case.

I also see that I need to figure out how to line my sled with some type of pvc and have planned to use a removable grip similar to graflex sabers to reveal a window in the brass body lined in pvc with a pvc door so to speak. The Pvc may also double to form my resonator.

The second one will be sith style...no design yet but similar list. (The design is done and looks killer!)

Shopping List

* 1 of: Screw on LED blade holder style 14
* 1 of: MHS choke style 1
* 1 of: MPS Pommel style 7
* 2 of: UltraSound 2.5
* 2 of: Premium Speaker
* 1 of: Luxeon III Star (Red/Orange)
* 2 of: 4AA Battery holder
* 1 of: Push on/push off switch with red button
* 2 of: Luxeon III/V Lens Holder
* 2 of: Luxeon Collimator Lens 5 deg viewing angle
* 2 of: 4 Wire quick connector
* 2 of: 6 Wire quick connector
* 2 of: Dual 18 gauge wire
* 2 of: MPS Clip
* 1 of: MPS Insert style 3
* 1 of: 8-32 x 13/32" Black Thumb Screw
* 1 of: Screw on LED blade holder style 1
* 1 of: Seoul P4 (Blue)
* 1 of: MPS Insert style 6
* 1 of: MPS Pommel style 4
* 1 of: 6" Double female threaded connector
* 1 of: 8-32 x 13/32" Large Thumb Screw
* 1 of: SPST Momentary switch with black button
* 1 of: 3" Double female threaded connector
* 1 of: MHS Sleeve 1
* 1 of: 9" Double female threaded connector

I picked up heatshrink, and found blue accent leds and holders at the source.

......and one rubberchicken. JK. :lol: Illustration attached.

Once I have this figured out I have a girl friend who wants to double my order to join in on some dueling. Aside from all the adapters she has similar goals but wants to be my sith nemesis.

Any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Invisas1979
10-09-2009, 08:33 AM
Looks to me like you need a pommel, insert and clip????

Crystal Chambers
10-09-2009, 09:53 AM
"The only thing I haven't found is a good grill. I've seen the one I want but not in stores yet. I just need to get out and look around. Oh yeah and I have a clip system off a cell phone case."

Its not on my list because I'm making the hilt out of pvc and have a cell phone clip system. I've seen some floor drains that would look awesome for a grill but I've yet to really shop around yet.

Oh yeah, I probably put the blade retention screw too high in my diagram. I believe it should be at the same height as the bolt attaching the shroud.

cardcollector
10-10-2009, 08:08 PM
Go to the plumbing setiong of Lowes and you can buy sink drains there.

They are $3 I think...;)

Crystal Chambers
10-11-2009, 05:44 AM
We don't have Lowes here and the Canadian Tire next door only has cheapy ones. I need to get out to Home Depot or Kent...

I want something that is more then chrome with holes in it. Like Brass with some kind of design. So it seems that cutting down a floor drain would be best..like these.

Clockwork
10-11-2009, 08:05 AM
Kent? You must be in the maritimes. Close to Halifax by chance?

Crystal Chambers
10-11-2009, 04:01 PM
yep...downtown.

Clockwork
10-11-2009, 09:01 PM
Good to see another Haligonian on here!

Crystal Chambers
10-13-2009, 06:55 AM
For sure...I don't think we're the only ones here...check out the backgrounds. Look familiar?
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=1650

I noticed you're into steampunk. Cool stuff!
Someone told me to check out Plumbing Barn on Pine Street, Dartmouth

Maybe I'll find my grill there!

:D

FenderBender
10-13-2009, 01:46 PM
Go with the 10 degree lens instead of the 5. You'll be happier and it doesn't take modifying the holder for it.

I see lots of "reeded" tubing there, you got some of that?

Crystal Chambers
10-13-2009, 02:41 PM
Actually no. I was going to use brass rods grinded down on one side to decorate the "choke" and for the grip I was going to use cut up and spray painted ABS till I found a better solution.

Reeded tubing is an awesome idea! I'll have to track some down. Reeded on the outside only would be best. But the gaps would probably let some sound out too. I checked online and can only find 1.5 OD but need 1.25 and 1.5 ID (I believe) to fit over sinktubes, so I may have to get them custom made, which would be worth it as I prefer this part to be larger then 1.5 for looks.

I'm sure 10 degree would give better base flare which I like. I thought the holder had to be modifyed for 10 degrees...and Oh! It just went out of stock! Back to 5.

Thx!....BTW your brass and purple saber is my favourite of all the ones I've seen. Totally inspiring.

Crystal Chambers
10-17-2009, 04:52 AM
OK... I did some more looking into parts and designs and came up with some cool stuff...I think.

I found a way to incorporate MHS pummel into my sinktube design and believe I've shifted stuff around enough to make room for 2 speakers!(crosses fingers) One in standard position next to 4AAs and a US 2.5, and the other on the other side facing the blade.

Design attached below.....Oh the grip will be 1.75" wide, possibly reeded brass or 1.5 abs till I find a solution.

I'm also editing my original list at the begining of the post.

I've tryed to read up on this, found a voltage chart but could use some help here. I've change my LED from p4 to lux3 blue and will need to do a second saber with lux3 red/orange. We're both using US 2.5 with 4 AA's.....will this work for both Sabers?

:confused:

JamoUp
10-17-2009, 06:21 AM
With this (http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=8789) design...very similar to yours... I had the speaker facing the illuminated crystal/sound chamber. It has plenty of room for a speaker in the pommel as well. In fact I just drilled sound holes in the pommel (around the switch) and moved the speaker location to the bottom (so it is easier to change the batteries).

Clockwork
10-17-2009, 09:36 AM
One small issue with your use of MHS parts is that it is the connection between the Blade Holder and another part that keeps the LED heatsink in place. You you either need to put the bladeholder (which will fit into a 1.5 inch brass sink tube found locally without sanding) on a sinktube adaptor, or find another way to fashion the heatsink and LED to the blade holder.

FenderBender
10-17-2009, 11:25 AM
Why would you change from the P4 blue to the Lux III blue? The P4 is a better color and it's brighter.

Crystal Chambers
10-17-2009, 02:07 PM
I thought the mhs might do that but I have seen pics with blade holders that have attached heatsinks so I wasn't sure and had to see. This makes my design difficult with so many MHS/ sink tube adapters. I really want this type of look so I guess I got...yep more issues to solve. And more items out of stock....:-(

I thought it might be but I need to build another with red at the same time and thought it would be a good idea.

Any suggestions for red/orange that will be equal to a p4 blue?

I want to place my order early next week and hope to have all this sorted out before I'm left waiting for months for stock.

FenderBender
10-17-2009, 02:19 PM
Lux III red-orange is the brightest of the Red family. There is no better for that power range. Maybe try a conversion bladeholder that has a heatsink that screws in to the BH. You just have to find one that will mount in 1.5" sinktube.

Crystal Chambers
10-17-2009, 02:36 PM
Thanks! :grin:
But power range aside, with more room for batteries, which red/orange would be as bright as p4 blue?

I'm gonna give that a shot and try designs with both blade holders although I like the way style 1 floats under the shroud. I think I can do this but my next biggest concern is to try and fit US 2.5, 4AA and a speaker with some room for resonance with this design. I really need to get the parts in my hand.

FenderBender
10-17-2009, 07:09 PM
You misunderstood, the Lux III red-orange is INSANELY bright when properly driven....say, off of your Ultrasound. It will BLOW AWAY any LUX III or P4 (and I like me some P4s). It is the ONLY red that I use, cause in a normally lighted or dark room its like movie bright. The only thing better is the 10W LEDengin Red which is insane but requires more power, lots more.

Crystal Chambers
10-18-2009, 11:17 AM
Obviously you know your sith. I thought you meant that but just wanted to be sure. I've seen a variety of red lux3 and some not so good, which could be for any number of reasons I'm sure.

I guess I have to use MHS/sinktube adapter with my blade holder. I'm sure I'll balance out the space I need once I get the parts in hand.
I'm considering ordering sleeve 1 with trans gold PC for my grip, but I'm gonna go ABS till I can afford that and other upgrades like recharge port and led switch.

Unless I missed something I think I'm good now. Still open to any suggestions.
Thanks for the help. I'll totally post some build pics and info when it's done.:-D

Crystal Chambers
10-22-2009, 08:26 AM
ok...new solution.
I'm placing my order tommorrow so any advice would really be appreciated.thx

I want to do "reverse sound" and want to cut down on all the bolts so I'm wondering if this is do-able.

-Blade holder 1
-3" double female threaded connector with a half inch cut off one end to shorten and remove threads, 1.5 brass overlay and 1.25 from inside.

then 1.25 goes into MHS/1.5 adapter to 1.5 brass to another adapter and then the pommel. I'm gonna track down the grip later.

dreamdigital
10-22-2009, 12:37 PM
I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished product of this. You should document yourself making it. Like a video and post it on youtube or something.

Crystal Chambers
10-22-2009, 04:33 PM
Cool.....I would like to document it on some level. I'll at least show some pics before, in between and finished with detailed description.

I'm really hoping that my new solution will work. It would make my saber look a lot cleaner.
It should work where MHS ID and OD is the same as the adapter.

Crystal Chambers
10-26-2009, 04:31 AM
Finally placed my order!!! Yay! :D

The 10 degree lenses and all blades were out of stock but everything else should be awesome. Can't wait. I ordered enough for two builds! So I'll update my list here just to conclude this post, and Ill be sure to post more info on my build process and finished results when done.

Thanks to everyone for sharing your tips, advice, and ideas.