PDA

View Full Version : Touch Switches

Kastor
10-07-2009, 08:28 PM
Touch Switches, 'Contact Switches' Or 'Finger Switches'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touch_switch

I realize it's not actually a new technology. We've had those damn touch lamps for ever. Regardless I was wondering if anyone has ever considered using them is sabers I think that would be a really nice finishing touch and it's something that fits the style and kind of smooth technology that sabers really embody. The cool thing about it is you can get schematics for making your own because all you need is conductive metal. I'm thinking you could wire a hole saber as a touch switch. There for you pick up the saber, it turns on and when you put it down it turns off.

Challange any one... ;)

X
10-07-2009, 09:00 PM
Parks sabers use these on there "phase" sabers. I have one and it can be a pain cuz you can turn the saber off accidentally when you try to spin it. It would be a good if you could cover it up so no accidentally power downs.

Thaxos
10-08-2009, 03:05 PM
They're not too hard to make...
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=7841
I believe WeirdoTransvestite is using one in her lightsaber

I'm thinking you could wire a hole saber as a touch switch. There for you pick up the saber, it turns on and when you put it down it turns off.
Resistance touch switches use two leads, like the one I made.
You would need two contact points on the saber.... More likely to give that "Force activated" effect than a capacitance switch which would switch whenever you touch it.

Novastar
10-09-2009, 01:55 AM
...it can be a pain cuz you can turn the saber off accidentally when you try to spin it. It would be a good if you could cover it up so no accidentally power downs.Good point, X... or... you could put TWO of the switches in the saber, and place them in areas where you pretty much would only touch the leads in unison "on purpose". :)

parkejeff
10-09-2009, 09:47 AM
My Parks EL saber has one. Its nice, but really easy to turn off unintentionally

Thaxos
10-09-2009, 04:10 PM
Good point, X... or... you could put TWO of the switches in the saber, and place them in areas where you pretty much would only touch the leads in unison "on purpose". :)

Resistance switch does that, one lead could be the saber hilt, the other lead would be hidden somewhere along the hilt but not in contact with it.
Capacitance is the one lead switch.