PDA

View Full Version : Question about shrink tube and O-Ring grips

Jedi Master Taka
10-01-2009, 05:30 PM
I am thinking about putting together a pair of sabers utilizing shrink tube over O-ring grips. I noticed while reading through the forums that there was a mention of using the Adhesive Walled shrink tube to keep things from shifting around after it was in place. My question is this, Have most of you that have tried this used the adhesive walled shrink tube? And what results have people gotten with the standard shrink tube?

The reason I ask is twofold. 1: The price of adhesive walled shrink tube goes up a LOT as soon as you go over 1.25 ID. Besides just starting out as being more expensive. And 2: The most reasonably priced supplier I have found doesn’t seem to stock anything but the Thick wall in sizes over 1.25. (Perhaps accounting for the huge price jump.)

Any information I could get on success or failures with the standard tubing would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
JMT

DarthHideous
10-01-2009, 06:34 PM
The adhesive, or double walled heat shrink actually has two layers and the inner layer melts to give a weather tight seal. It is a lot harder to remove if you mess up. I used a regular heat shrink grip over poly washers on my Knight Light saber. After the first try, I had to remove it because I cut it too short. The non-adhesive type made this easy, however, I have used the adhesive type on soldered wires and removing it is a pain in the Ahsoka.
But if you want a more permanent fix, use the adhesive type.

Go to your local electrical supply house, not Radio Shack. The type of supply house that electrical contractors use. They usually carry larger adhesive type heat shrink.

Jedi Master Taka
10-01-2009, 06:54 PM
My major concern is just having it staying put after it is in place since I do spar and practice forms with my sabers. (Nothing spices up a boring sword kata like a glowing blade and sound effects *L*) I also have begun lending them out to a few students. So I just want something that will stay put on the handle with out slowly shifting position on the hilt and will keep the o-rings in position. I have never had the heat shrink on wires slide, but then I’m not holding on to the connections while I swing the saber full force either.

Have you ever had problems with the non-adhesive heat shrink shifting?

DarthHideous
10-01-2009, 07:57 PM
This is my "Knight Light" saber. It has a heat shrink grip over plumbing poly slip washers.
I like it better that a metal surface, especially when your hand sweats. Mine has never shifted,
however, it does have screws through it to hold on the adapter.

http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu299/jcfrench1973/Knight_Light-18.jpg

Here is it in action at DragonCon 2009 in Atlanta. This pic is not of me. It is a martial artist demo where he used my saber.

http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu299/jcfrench1973/DC_Knight_Light_Saber_fight.jpg

Jedi Master Taka
10-02-2009, 12:07 AM
I went a head and picked up some of the non-adhesive heat shrink and will give it a try. Thanks for all your help. =)

That is an amazing looking saber btw, I might have to look into finding some 1.25 poly slip washers. I really like the added shape they add to your hilt.

Thanks Again,
JMT

FenderBender
10-02-2009, 04:40 AM
I have used the non-adhesive stuff as well. I lathed grooves in the hilt for the o-rings to sit in, then used weather-stripping adhesive to secure the o-rings in place. After that they dont move around under the heatshrink.

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=8346&highlight=white+raven

DarthHideous
10-02-2009, 07:35 PM
When you heat the heat shrink, even the non-adhesive type, it sort of bonds to the O-ring rubber.
Creates a cool look thought I think. If you space out the O-rings/washers just right, they fit between your fingers. Best grip material, I think.

$tarkiller
10-03-2009, 03:05 PM
I agree, Or adhesive 150-grit sandpaper works well too.

Raith
10-05-2009, 07:19 AM
I agree, Or adhesive 150-grit sandpaper works well too.

grip tape... lol same stuff skateboarders ues isn't it?

Darth_DevilGuy
10-13-2009, 04:44 PM
grip tape... lol same stuff skateboarders ues isn't it?

yeah, also for your basement stairs.