PDA

View Full Version : Heatsink patina?

Darth Vane
10-01-2009, 03:38 PM
Ok so i have searches and found nothing to this. So here is my question. my Heat sink has begone to patina and i wanted to know if this will cause trouble to the LED. dose it need a clean surface to the heatsink can better absrob the heat?

Kal El Rah
10-01-2009, 03:49 PM
Yes it does, if your heatsink is copper then you should polish before putting the led star on it.

Darth Vane
10-01-2009, 03:52 PM
Thanks thats what i needed to hear. my dad said a brilo pad would work on cleaning it up. dose it?

Kal El Rah
10-01-2009, 04:02 PM
Brillo is to coarse, baking soda and a sponge will net you a smoother surface and remove the patina.

Jedi-Loreen
10-01-2009, 04:15 PM
Why did that happen do your heat sink? Were you keeping it in a moist area? Out in the garage? Or do you live somewhere really humid?

theJUDGE
10-01-2009, 04:25 PM
mine started to do the same thing after having is sitting out in the open in my room for a couple of months. Copper oxidizes fairly easily. I just used some ultra fine sand paper on the surface the led star was to go on. used some white thermal compound and everything is just fine

Darth Vane
10-01-2009, 05:54 PM
mine started to do the same thing after having is sitting out in the open in my room for a couple of months. Copper oxidizes fairly easily. I just used some ultra fine sand paper on the surface the led star was to go on. used some white thermal compound and everything is just fine

thats what happend to mine.