PDA

View Full Version : Ultrasound 2.5 in ForceFX

swizzSnake
10-01-2009, 06:01 AM
Hi everybody...

I've just received my customized Vader ANH and wonder if i can update it with a Ultrasound board?

All i want is a better movement recognition and flicker effects...

greetings from Switzerland ;)

pipster79
10-01-2009, 09:26 AM
well that depends, do you want to keep the led strip blade or are you going to convert it to a luxeon saber?

Jedi-Loreen
10-01-2009, 09:37 AM
Please explain to us what is "customized" about it and we can help you better.

Does that mean it was converted to a single LED inside the hilt?

swizzSnake
10-01-2009, 10:01 AM
Sorry... Yes its already converted into a luxeon 3. Made by ultraforcesabers.com...

Can i just replace the original and use the stock battery?

Invisas1979
10-02-2009, 05:44 AM
Yeah the vader has quite a wide internal diameter so you would be able to get a speaker/battery combo and the us 2.5 with no problem.

You'd need to change the switch from a latching switch to a momentary though as the us 2.5 doesn't support a latching switch like the FX boards do.

Also using a US 2.5 means you can have the LED run at 6volts using two trust fire batteries with the rest used for the board and speaker or have a more powerful LUX 5.

Jedi-Loreen
10-02-2009, 07:11 AM
*sigh*

No, you do not want to run the US 2.5 with the 7.4V that 2 Trustfires put out if you have a Lux 3, red, I'm assuming, since it's a Vader. You don't want to give it more than 6V. The board and speaker don't "use the rest", the board bleeds off the excess voltage as heat, which causes the board to get very hot (and can even melt the solder on it). This information is on the boards, if you'd care to read more about the US 2.5

And, does anyone read the information in the Store description? :confused:

Battery input voltage:
Maximum for board = 9.6V
Minimum/Maximum for Luxeon 3, K2, P4 = 4.5V / 7.2V (6V recommended)
Minimum/Maximum for Luxeon 3,P4 Red/Amber = 4.8V / 6.0V
Minimum for Luxeon 5 = 7.2V
IMPORTANT! (be sure to use the correct voltage/power with corresponding LED type)

You will also not be able to run that board off the stock battery pack, because you'll need a min. of 4.8V, so you'll need to use a 6V battery pack, which means you'll need a different speaker, unless you can manage to salvage the one off of the original battery pack.

Invisas1979
10-02-2009, 08:14 AM
Funny you should ask but yeah I did read that but was under the impression that the sound and board would take some of the power.

I stand....sit corrected.

Also I wasn't clear about the battery/speaker combo, I was thinking of the TCSS one not the stock 3 x AA job. Unless it's unavoidable I'd not use the stock speaker/sound from a FX saber.

swizzSnake
10-02-2009, 08:43 AM
Thanks for your help!

My main target is to have following sabers upgraded:

Anakin ROTS
Vader ANH
Obiwan ROTS

All with Luxeon 3 and default colors.

I already got the Vader, and the Luxeon Kit for the Anakin is on the way.
Next i try Ultrasabers for the Obiwan.

In the end, i want to have flicker, and better movement recognition (faster??) in all of these sabers.

Does anyone know if i can use the 4AA Battery holder for any of the three sabers?

and has the rest (US2.5, LED, and the 4 Batterypack with Speaker) enough space?...

Invisas1979
10-02-2009, 09:00 AM
In the end, i want to have flicker, and better movement recognition (faster??) in all of these sabers.

Does anyone know if i can use the 4AA Battery holder for any of the three sabers?

and has the rest (US2.5, LED, and the 4 Batterypack with Speaker) enough space?...

Yes you can use them with all three. You'll just need to make an internal chassis for the electronics. Have a look at LDM's sabers, always really neatly put together.

Yes I believe you will able to have the 4 Batterypack with Speaker fit and have enough space for the led kit and board.

yell0w_lantern
10-02-2009, 09:45 AM
Well, he could probably get away with 3 1.6 volt Ni-Zn batteries, right?

DJMoonbass
10-07-2009, 11:15 AM
i would think so.

and hey not to joc on ultrasabers but there conversions are way over priced and they dont even use metal blade holders. i would suggest doing the conversion job your self... buy from tim it would be cheaper. i reconverted my obi wan with a metal blade holder and it was easy peasy... also you could use all the stock internals and put the US board where the forcefx board originally was. thats what i would do. it might take a little work to get the US fit inside but it would work the best because then you could use the battery pack speaker combo that comes in force fx get what im saying?

and LOL dude i have the EXACT same collection as you. except my vader is an ESB. but thats still funny we have the same sabers. im planning on getting a LUKE ROTJ v2 some time in the future.

Roy's Blues
10-07-2009, 05:14 PM
also you could use all the stock internals and put the US board where the forcefx board originally was. thats what i would do.

That's mostly doable.

it might take a little work to get the US fit inside but it would work the best because then you could use the battery pack speaker combo that comes in force fx get what im saying?

Good luck with that. LMK if you can get it to work.

Ixius
10-15-2009, 10:10 PM
it might take a little work to get the US fit inside but it would work the best because then you could use the battery pack speaker combo that comes in force fx get what im saying?

As far as I know, you'd need to alter the stock battery with a second speaker wire pin; the US boards need a + and - speaker input, you can't combine them like the MR boards do...

right?

Jay-gon Jinn
10-16-2009, 02:56 PM
As far as I know, you'd need to alter the stock battery with a second speaker wire pin; the US boards need a + and - speaker input, you can't combine them like the MR boards do...

right?

That is correct! The speaker in the stock battery pack may not like the amount of power the uS 2.5 can deliver, either.

swizzSnake
10-23-2009, 12:46 AM
Hey again and thanks for all your infos!

I've just ordered a new ForceFx from "thinkgeek" (119$)... and alle the Parts i need from TCSS...

I'll try to do all myself... :)