PDA

View Full Version : Obi/Sash

Scum_and_Villainy
09-29-2009, 08:46 PM
Since TCSS only deals in lightsaber parts, I figured this would be okay. If it's out of line, please delete the thread. My Jedi robes have been in storage for a year, and in that year, I gained about ten pounds. While that's a healthy weight for my height, it poses quite the problem: my obi/sash (the part that goes around the waist, where the belt goes) no longer fits.

I am by no means good at sewing, so creating a new one is beyond my skill. Does anyone know a place where I can pick up just the obi/sash? Preferably, before Halloween rolls around. Any and all help will be appreciated!

psab keel
09-29-2009, 09:53 PM
I would suggest getting material that matches your costume and finding a local tailor to make a new one for you (if you have no knowledge of how to sew.) It likely wouldn't cost a whole lot. Hope this helps.

annon
09-30-2009, 05:20 PM
try here http://www.twinrosesdesigns.com/Coats%20and%20Robes%20for%20Sale.html

darth plague
10-14-2009, 07:51 PM
id just get the same material and use velcro

chase
10-23-2009, 06:26 AM
Obi's are really not too hard to make from scratch, even for a beginner. Its basically one long peice of fabric that's sewn on the edges to look nice. With a pattern and a sewing machine, I'm sure you can pull it off.

$tarkiller
10-23-2009, 07:57 AM
ead ths, and this will give you a list of things you can use. (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=obi+wan+kenobi+costume)

Jedi-Loreen
10-23-2009, 09:10 AM
Yeah.........No, $k, most of those links are for buying a (crappy) costume, not making one. Did you even look at those links you sarcastically "added"? :-? :roll:

You don't even need a pattern to make an obi. It's just a long rectangle.

Just decide how wide you want it, it should show about 1 1/2"-2" above and below your belt. Determine the length by how far you want the ends to overlap each other.

Mulitply width by 2, add 5/8" seam allowance on all the edges and cut out.

Fold in half, right sides together (the nicer side of the fabric that you want on the outside) and pin along side and one end, sew at the seam allowance along open side and the pinned end. Turn it inside out and push out the corners on the end. Fold the edges of the last end in and stitch them down.

Easy peasy. If you want to use Velcro, sew that where it the stitches will be covered by the belt.

The tabards are made in a similar fashion. Determine the width you want them at the shoulder, and the length based on if you want the Obi-wan style that comes to a V at the back and ends at the obi, or the Qui-gon style that hangs below the obi and extends past the tunic edge in the back.

Tabards should extend at least 2" beyond the edges of the tunic.

Scum_and_Villainy
10-23-2009, 11:09 AM
try here http://www.twinrosesdesigns.com/Coats%20and%20Robes%20for%20Sale.html

Thank you very much! That is exactly what I was looking for.

ead ths, and this will give you a list of things you can use. (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=obi+wan+kenobi+costume)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v434/TheCosmicCastaway/funny%20pictures/cold.gif

Here's an idea, sparky. How about you read a thread before posting a smartass link? Get it? Got it? Good. What I was looking for is a place that sells the sash only. Check the AOL chatroom attitude at the door, read that twice in case it goes over your head again, and be sure to not completely and utterly fail when you try to be funny.

Loreen, I would definitely try to make it myself if the sewing machine wasn't buried in storage. But I saved the information you posted, as it will definitely come in handy later on. Thank you very much for the information! I'll make sure I put it to good use.

$tarkiller
10-23-2009, 01:21 PM
ooooooh, did I hurt your precious little feelings? Do us all a favor. Do your own research, and we wont post smartass links. This is a DIY website, not a spoon-feed-me website. Grow a pair bro, and stop crying because someone said something you didnt like. BTW, thee were about 10 websites o there for you to buy a costume. Maybe you shoul read the link that I posted.

Jay-gon Jinn
10-23-2009, 02:05 PM
cool it gentlemen.....you don't need to start a flame war over this....be the bigger person and let it go.

$tarkiller
10-23-2009, 02:12 PM
You're right Jay. Thank you.

Lord Maul
10-23-2009, 07:41 PM
ooooooh, did I hurt your precious little feelings? Do us all a favor. Do your own research, and we wont post smartass links. This is a DIY website, not a spoon-feed-me website. Grow a pair bro, and stop crying because someone said something you didnt like. BTW, thee were about 10 websites o there for you to buy a costume. Maybe you shoul read the link that I posted.

For someone who criticizes the council regularly on being to harsh on n00bs, you certainly seem fine with bashing yourself.

S&V, J-Lo's advice is the best you'll get on the boards. She is basically our resident costume expert ;)

Jedi-Loreen
10-23-2009, 07:56 PM
I don't know that I'm an "expert", but have been at it for a lot of years. ;)

$tarkiller
10-23-2009, 08:18 PM
For someone who criticizes the council regularly on being to harsh on n00bs, you certainly seem fine with bashing yourself.

S&V, J-Lo's advice is the best you'll get on the boards. She is basically our resident costume expert ;)

Aaaaaw..... I thought I had stopped criticizing the council....... :oops:

Rookie162
10-24-2009, 01:38 PM
I just bought a bunch of felt, and it's a little too stiff for my liking. I'd prefer just getting a big cheap towel and cutting it up, it's much looser and gets more of that fur/scruff look to it. Taking a look at, in particular, qui-gonn's costume, it's a lot more loose than felt.

DragonStar
10-24-2009, 09:30 PM
Qui-gon's tunics are made of silk noil.