PDA

View Full Version : Sephiroth Blade

Darth_Sasuke
09-27-2009, 05:54 PM
http://almighty1mi.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/sephiroth.jpg.w560h401.jpg

Hey guys I was wondering if it would be possible to make a lightsaber blade about as long as sephiroth's sword. I am guessing this would have to be around 100 inches long.

EDIT: Here is a rough picture of what I would like it to look like
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v371/akirasan/sabersephrender.jpg

cardcollector
09-27-2009, 07:02 PM
Um, That would be totally impractical. Would you seriously use a blade that long?!?!?!?!:shock:

The LED wouldn't even be strong enought light the length of that blade.

Darth Vane
09-27-2009, 07:19 PM
Ok as Fellow sephiroth fan dont try it. the blade would be to wobbally. oh and the blade is only 6' with the handle being about 16"

but the more i think about about it the more i think how awsome it would look if it could be done.

ARKM
09-27-2009, 07:45 PM
To pull that off, you would need larger than 1" OD for the blade so that it is not too whippy at such a long length. As such, I imagine the blade would be just a bit heavy. Some counter-weights in the pommel would be needed as well as a custom emitter/blade holder.

Even if you can pull that off, as had been previously mentioned, you would have difficulty lighting the blade. The only good lighting solution for a blade that long would be an LED string like what Makototsai uses for his blades.

That said, it could be done but would be heavy and impractical.

Revan
09-27-2009, 10:33 PM
gentlemen this IS possible... but. you will have quite a chore to do. the only way you can get a GOOD WORKING version of a "sephiroth saber" is to have a REALLY LONG HILT like 1 1/2 feet (give or take) and have half of the hilt contain the blade with multiple set screws to ensure it will be secure. now in order to get the whole blade to light up... you can kiss a regular LED good by, (unless you wanna get fancy with mirrors but that is getting ahead of myself) i would recomend using EL technology. and DO NOT go for the straight blade look, please!! for the love of FF!!! just make the blade yourself. order some "sheet Poly c." and cut out the shape of the blade. and make sure you have 2 sides. put the EL strips in the blade and find a way to make it all "glue" together. once you have figured that out it should be a fine working blade that is actually shaped like a friggin long katana. HOWEVER because it is thin, it will be flimsy so it would not be practical to get all fancy with the swinging. or dueling for that matter. but it would still look cool... good luck! :cool:

theJUDGE
09-27-2009, 10:39 PM
Revan talked about custom making a katana shaped blade. you would need to make a custom blade no matter what you wanted the blade shape to be. If you wanted it to be a simple round blade like traditional sabers, keep in mind that the polycarbonate tubes are sold in 40'' lengths, so you would need to come up with a way to "seemlessy" combine tubes. good luck with that one lol

Darth Vane
09-27-2009, 11:07 PM
Man if you pullthis off i want to see it!

ARKM
09-27-2009, 11:18 PM
keep in mind that the polycarbonate tubes are sold in 40'' lengths[/U], so you would need to come up with a way to "seemlessy" combine tubes. good luck with that one lol

There are multiple plastics dealers online that sell PolyC tubes in various diameters and wall thicknesses in lengths well over 4 feet(including the diameters and wall thicknesses that TCSS sells). He can't buy a blade that long here, but he can buy it elsewhere.

Jedi-Loreen
09-28-2009, 10:59 AM
And shipping tubing or sheet that long is gonna be expensive.........

Darth_Sasuke
09-28-2009, 01:50 PM
thanks for all the replies guys. I'm still not completely sure if I want to do LEDs through the blade or go EL. Looks like im gonna be on the drawing board for this project for quite some time.

Barmic Rin
09-28-2009, 02:23 PM
I see someone being banned from conventions if this thing ever gets made....

Almost as bad an idea as lightsabers with ACTUAL blades attached....

ARKM
09-28-2009, 03:10 PM
Almost as bad an idea as lightsabers with ACTUAL blades attached....

I'm not seeing a problem here... ;)

Darth Vane
09-29-2009, 02:54 AM
thanks for all the replies guys. I'm still not completely sure if I want to do LEDs through the blade or go EL. Looks like im gonna be on the drawing board for this project for quite some time.

Wait.... You are serious about doing this! i though this was one of those could this be pulled off threads! dude Message me ASAP if you complete this!

I'm not seeing a problem here... ;)
Agreed i dont see a problem.....lol

Rhyen Skytracker
09-29-2009, 04:15 AM
I purchase my polycarbonate tubing in 8 foot sections, so that would be close. but you would need at least 10" inside the hilt for proper support.

Raith
09-29-2009, 12:57 PM
the katana that sephiroth used in the game, and in the movie is called an Odachi (translation= "horse killing sword"). as far as the japanese swords go,they were too clumsy for actual combat. the odachi was designed to do exactly what it's translated name said, kill horses. it was used much like a spear or pike for this... the wielder would kneel down wedge the butt of the hilt under their foot, and hold the top of the hilt so the sword was at an angle. upon impaling the charging horse, the foot soldier would pull back on thetop of the hilt in order to flip the horse over head, and avoid being trampled.

as i stated, they were too clumsy for combat, and the only reason that Sephiroth was able to wield one so effectively was because he was in an animated movie. a lightsaber that long would be almost useless. it would make an opponent think twice about rushing in to attack, but once they got inside the reach of the blade, you would be dead.

It would be interesting to see a saber set up for that look, but that's about it...

Darth_Sasuke
09-29-2009, 02:14 PM
the katana that sephiroth used in the game, and in the movie is called an Odachi (translation= "horse killing sword"). as far as the japanese swords go,they were too clumsy for actual combat. the odachi was designed to do exactly what it's translated name said, kill horses. it was used much like a spear or pike for this... the wielder would kneel down wedge the butt of the hilt under their foot, and hold the top of the hilt so the sword was at an angle. upon impaling the charging horse, the foot soldier would pull back on thetop of the hilt in order to flip the horse over head, and avoid being trampled.

as i stated, they were too clumsy for combat, and the only reason that Sephiroth was able to wield one so effectively was because he was in an animated movie. a lightsaber that long would be almost useless. it would make an opponent think twice about rushing in to attack, but once they got inside the reach of the blade, you would be dead.

It would be interesting to see a saber set up for that look, but that's about it...
Thanks for the history lesson, pops. I read online that people were calling his sword a masamune but I don't know what that means. You sound like you are very knowledgeable about japanese weapons. Do you happen to be a martial artist?

Raith
09-29-2009, 03:37 PM
Yes, i am. i used to take classes, but i haven't had any training in a while.
And yes the game calls Sephiroth's sword a Masamune. Masamune was one of the most well known, and best sword smiths in all of japanese history.

makototsai
10-09-2009, 07:49 AM
just like this one>

http://img381.imageshack.us/img381/6364/jpdscn3351.jpg

$tarkiller
10-09-2009, 12:26 PM
Makoto! LOLOLOL Good One!

Raith
10-10-2009, 10:04 AM
lmao, makoto, nice...

Darth_Sasuke
10-13-2009, 04:38 PM
just like this one>

http://img381.imageshack.us/img381/6364/jpdscn3351.jpg

Wow Makotosai, that is gorgeous. I was looking for something just a tad bit longer but that is still very impressive. Sorry that I have not given you guys an update in so long, I have been very busy at my job. Working at a comic book shop is not as easy as one would think. I just got done making the blade and am about 47% done with the hilt. All thats left is to order the LEDs.

Darth Vane
10-13-2009, 09:12 PM
oh man i cant wait to see this!

daparent
10-25-2009, 08:49 AM
How would you bend the blade and the diffuser? Also wouldnt the blade end up not being evenly lit?

I understand and respect the tribute to the Masmune, but It might be a bit far-fetched (even for star-wars), to have a bent lightsaber blade.

mihunai
10-26-2009, 06:37 AM
It will be a challenge, especially for a Lux saber, but it could be done with the Makoto technique, i think.

As far as far-fetched (even for star-wars), might i introduce you to, the lightwhip...

mTm

lone-jedi
11-08-2009, 11:14 PM
what about fiber optics? if the led lighting the hole blade is the bigest conserne other than the wight problam why not try the fiber optics route? it may make it a bit heavyer but it would defantly make a even full light through the hole blade. atleast thats what i would do

Jedi-Loreen
11-08-2009, 11:21 PM
That's not really how fiber optics works. I don't think even the side glow type would work well for that.

Masurao Reborn
05-06-2010, 03:05 PM
Too bad You're Done with the blade. I was gonna suggest heating a poly-c blade and bending along the heat to curve a blade, if it works like I've heard.

Same thing I'm going to do for an optional blade for my Katana-style Lightsaber.

Skottsaber
05-07-2010, 11:26 AM
Nice Necropost there.

I'm no plastics expert, but I'm not sure if that will work how you think it will. Even if it doesn't crack, the structural intensity of the tube will be so slight that it won't even be worth duelling.

Jedi-Loreen
05-07-2010, 06:19 PM
WWWWWWWWHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYY??????????????????

http://i711.photobucket.com/albums/ww120/ahsusu/Smileys/a6a23f64.gif

Heating polycarbonate to bend it is not easy, I know this from personal experience from making a "joke" EL blade for a friend (curved in the middle so he could wear it strapped around his body, curved part under his costume, to look like he was impaled).

We don't know if he's completely finished the blade yet, as it getting it lit up, since he hasn't posted any pics.

psab keel
05-07-2010, 10:05 PM
I'm sure there is probably a way to accomplish this, but I personally don't understand the appeal of ridiculously long or over-sized blades. They look silly to me. But to each their own.