PDA

View Full Version : Double bladed lightsaber advantages?

Lord Preston
09-22-2009, 10:33 PM
Ok, so I know besides the 2 blades which make it deadlier than a single bladed saber, is there any other advantages with a double bladed saber? I always wanted to know, because my friend says that singles are more menuverable than double.

ARKM
09-22-2009, 11:39 PM
With actual swords and staves, there are advantages and disadvantages to both. I will say that real staves are very versatile. However, a double-bladed lightsaber is nowhere near as versatile as a wooden staff or a single-bladed lightsaber. A double-bladed lightsaber is extremely dangerous to the wielder. One good hit on your blade and it could bounce back into your body. Death by your own lightsaber, how embarrassing. That said, if lightsabers and the Force were real, only the most foolhardy and arrogant/overconfident would use a DBL.

cardcollector
09-23-2009, 05:16 AM
Wow, What a great topic!

Since I've use a double blade to duel with for the pst few years here's what I've found

It takes practice. Not just a little... we're talking everyday for 9 MONTHS before you can stand your ground in free combat.
Now,after you can manuver and have practiced till you "GOT" it...
One huge adavntage I've found is the power of indimidation. People really are more afraid of two blades and often give up.

Another advantage is the stabbing power of the Double blades. A lot of motions ar perfect for stabbing and thrusting. You can slash from pretty much any angle from both sides of you attacker at the same time.

One Final advantage I've found is IT IS FUNNER (more fun:rolleyes:).

So there's my take- There are diadvantages to but you requsted advantages... :)

Jasten Skywalker
09-23-2009, 06:41 AM
I think that I read in the 2nd Bane novel that double-bladed lightsabers are better for defense. It mentioned how Zannah was able to hold off a much larger and more powerful jedi long enough for Bane to come to her aid. The book attributed this to the double-bladed lightsaber. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I remember reading that. Cool topic!

theJUDGE
09-23-2009, 07:10 AM
The first bane book also mentioned the advantages/disadvantages of a double bladed saber. The weapon master told bane that it's advantage was do to unpredictability to opponents. using the double blade makes it harder to follow and predict, so opponents are thrown off guard by it. In the book he also said it was harder to adapt with a double blade than a single blade, making the single blade overall more maneuverable. But like Jasten Skywalker said, it be good for defense because you have twice the weapon to parry with.

Scum_and_Villainy
09-23-2009, 07:55 AM
The first bane book also mentioned the advantages/disadvantages of a double bladed saber. The weapon master told bane that it's advantage was do to unpredictability to opponents. using the double blade makes it harder to follow and predict, so opponents are thrown off guard by it. In the book he also said it was harder to adapt with a double blade than a single blade, making the single blade overall more maneuverable. But like Jasten Skywalker said, it be good for defense because you have twice the weapon to parry with.

Exactly. What makes weapons like the double-blade so dangerous is that your opponent would be unfamiliar with them. For instance, the majority of Jedi use one single blade, and focus their efforts on fighting people who use one single blade. As for maneuverability, it all depends. If someone who's only trained with a single blade picks up a double, then of course it will seem as if the single is more maneuverable. And vice versa.

cardcollector
09-23-2009, 02:50 PM
Exactly. What makes weapons like the double-blade so dangerous is that your opponent would be unfamiliar with them. For instance, the majority of Jedi use one single blade, and focus their efforts on fighting people who use one single blade. As for maneuverability, it all depends. If someone who's only trained with a single blade picks up a double, then of course it will seem as if the single is more maneuverable. And vice versa.

Very well put!- I forgot that...;)

As for the defense...
True it is better to defend against two people, but I find it is actully harder to defend against one person becuse of the largeness of the hilt and how you manuver the blades.

JamoUp
09-23-2009, 05:28 PM
The first Bane book also said that with the double if you know where one blade is you know where the other is. Since they are connected. So this could be useful for both parties. But whoever learned anything from a book?

Raith
09-29-2009, 12:25 PM
ok, i have minimal experience dueling with sabers, but some friends and i used to make pvc swords, and other weapons... wrapped in foam, and ducttape (so we could land blows on each other without causing serious injury {PVC also shatters if it is struck too hard without padding on it, made that mistake, and alost put an eye out})

back on topic... i made a couple of double bladed swords, and used them for several duels.
Pros-
1. Double bladed sabers have a fear advantage, they look menacing. my friends hated when i grabbed my double blade, for the simple fact that i looked more dangerous when i had the double-blade.
2. The ability to move your body less, and still be able to attack from various positions.
3. generally you can derive more power thanks to the longer hilt, and it allows for greater leverage.
Cons-
1. against multiple opponents, if any of them have 2 sabers, they could attack from above, you move your double saber to block, and the opponent with the second blade swings their second saber low, and unless you are REALLY good, you lose a limb...
2. the longer handle means less manuverability overall, even if fighting with only one blade activated.
3. If you aren't careful about how you hlod the double bladed saber, you can strike yourself with little effort. (if you are holding your double bladed saber off to the side {like in Kotor} and your opponent strikes the inside of the blade closer to the, the other blade can snap into your leg, or side.)

Your saber technique, and skills are a direct result of the amount of time and energy you put into practice. if you want to try duelling with a double bladed saber, make a cheap PVC hilt, and dowel-rod blades to try it out. As you get more well versed in double bladed saber combat, you'll probably want to make a better saber.

------------------------------
now, i will pose another question that should get a little more buzz going... the curved single blade saber has more options for attack angles, what would be the advantages of a double bladed curved lightsaber?

chase
10-01-2009, 10:17 AM
I think the most important question should be "how many of you have used a double bladed lightsaber in combat?"

Unless you hold and attack/block with a double blade, you'll never understand exactly how it works.

Using a double has advantages and disadvantages, just like single hilts, two hilts, curved, and whatever else.

Blocking with a double is completely different because your hands and arms are in different spots than they would be with a single hilt. You have to adjust to that right away. Second, you have to learn how to control your strikes and be accurate with completely different arm positions. The way you strike with a staff and how you strike with a single hilt are completely different.

To even begin to understand the differences between the two, you must experience it.

Paden Quin Lirthwin
10-01-2009, 03:16 PM
I have spent awhile with swords and staves and the combining of the two into the double blade saber is an awesome thing,just remember there really is no such thing as the ultimate weapon, they are a great defensive as well as offensive tool as a Conan character once said "Practice and strength" and the ability to laugh at your self if you accidentally trip up on your own weapon dosen't hurt either

sekrogue1985
10-06-2009, 03:38 PM
ummmmm i just use the spare polyc for the other end as a projectile.

Raith
10-06-2009, 08:54 PM
ummmmm i just use the spare polyc for the other end as a projectile.

lmao, that kinda defeats the purpose of a double bladed saber...

sekrogue1985
10-07-2009, 03:32 PM
lmao, that kinda defeats the purpose of a double bladed saber...

yup cause i'm totally inept on using it so I just do what i can ;p

Raith
10-07-2009, 11:55 PM
well, whatever works, i guess... lol

DJMoonbass
10-13-2009, 02:34 PM
IMO if your going with two lightsaber blades.... the double is okay it makes for quicker attacks and more defense range. but the disadvantage is if you know where one blade is you automatically know where the other one is.

now dual wielding lightsabers is a whole new story.... so many infinite attack and defense maneuvers. completely different and way more deadly. you can parry one saber but you dont know where the other blade will come from. thus making it more deadly.

read the darth bane books they have great discriptious details on saber wielding.:p:cool:

JamoUp
10-14-2009, 06:31 AM
IMO if your going with two lightsaber blades.... the double is okay it makes for quicker attacks and more defense range. but the disadvantage is if you know where one blade is you automatically know where the other one is.

now dual wielding lightsabers is a whole new story.... so many infinite attack and defense maneuvers. completely different and way more deadly. you can parry one saber but you dont know where the other blade will come from. thus making it more deadly.

read the darth bane books they have great discriptious details on saber wielding.:p:cool:

this sounds remarkably like what i said 8 posts ago...

Thaxos
10-15-2009, 08:35 AM
this sounds remarkably like what i said 8 posts ago...

The greatest form of flattery is imitation.
All things said and done, it is a very good point you made, and he repeated.