PDA

View Full Version : I need a good paint remover for plastics.

Hasid Lafre
09-20-2009, 05:16 AM
I dont know much about paint removers but I do know that paint thinner will eat away plastics, so is there a paint remover that is "plastic safe".

Jonitus
09-20-2009, 10:13 AM
I dont know much about paint removers but I do know that paint thinner will eat away plastics, so is there a paint remover that is "plastic safe".

Oven cleaner. Put your parts in a ziploc bag. Spray them thoroughly with the oven cleaner and seal the bag. Come back in a day, and wash them under warm water and maybe an old toothbrush to get the paint off. If some paint still remains, dry the pieces thoroughly, put them in a new bag, spray oven cleaner and repeat.

I've done this to strip old paint off plastic models and it works great.

Jedi-Loreen
09-20-2009, 10:13 AM
DO NOT use Lacquer Thinner, it WILL dissolve some plastics.

Paint Thinner with mineral spirits will not harm various plastics that I've used it on though.

EDIT:
Hmm, I'd have though that oven cleaner would be too strong for plastics. Interesting.

Hasid Lafre
09-20-2009, 07:20 PM
Thanks, I shal have to remember these when I go to redo the faceplate on my 360, which is whenever I decide to stop being lazy.

Maurnick
09-20-2009, 10:29 PM
As Jed-Lo said, Mineral Spirits seem to not harm most plastics. That's all I ever use with my model building when making a painting mistake.

ArkaiHalon
09-21-2009, 01:54 PM
I use citristrip for all my stripping needs. It has yet to damage wood, metal , or plastic (including my mando helmet and a couple of nerfs)

Jedi-Loreen
09-22-2009, 10:30 AM
I've never been called "Jed-Lo" before. It's "J-Lo", if you don't mind. :p

Maurnick
09-23-2009, 10:19 AM
I've never been called "Jed-Lo" before. It's "J-Lo", if you don't mind. :p

:oops: