PDA

View Full Version : Any body bought one of these belts???

cardcollector
09-19-2009, 05:04 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/BLACK-ANAKIN-BELT-L-jedi-buckle-costume-prop-star-wars_W0QQitemZ390045024301QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item5ad07ec02d&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I was just wondering if anybody had bought one these and what they thought about it.

duncan29793
09-19-2009, 05:34 PM
I was actually looking at the brown version of that same belt 20 minutes ago thinking the same thing :confused:

Kal El Rah
09-19-2009, 05:37 PM
I got the brown Obi belt, it is very nice for the price. Of coarse it is made out of pleather so if you are going to get it, keep that in mind.;-)

cardcollector
09-19-2009, 05:39 PM
That's weird. I see now that they only sell size LARGE now... I'm a "30" waist size so I don't think that would work unless I modified it (is it that hard to modify it)...

So, What I really want is a good, leather belt foe around $30. Anybody have any good sources?

I can't make my own because I have NO leather working tools etc. and figure by the time I've bought all that I could just buy one already made.

help?

EDIT
After looking a little more they do sell medium.:D

And after a little research, Pleather looks more durable than leather...

any body have a reason NOT to buy this belt???;)

duncan29793
09-19-2009, 09:19 PM
pleather is more durable than leather... good that was one of my questions too. Now it just falls upon quality of the construction. It looks like a nice belt.

Kal El Rah
09-19-2009, 09:32 PM
very well made.

Barmic Rin
09-20-2009, 02:02 PM
Meh. They're okay, but not worth more than $35.
Had one, not impressed overly, and now getting a second leather one made.

Pleather is NOT tougher than leather. saw a pair of Costumebase kenobi boots rip right in front of me at CE.

TimeRender
09-20-2009, 02:55 PM
http://www.ravenswoodleather.com/Belts/warrior2.html

I can personally testify to the quality of the belts at ravenswood, and they are usually open to doing custom pieces as well if you call them up and talk to them about what you want. The 2" belt that they offer is only 4 dollars more than the one you found on ebay, but this one is made of real durable leather.

Edit: Just to reinforce what barmic said, pleather is absolutely NOT as durable as real leather. I wouldn't pay more than 20 for one of those ebay belts.

Jedi-Loreen
09-20-2009, 03:25 PM
Barmic is right, leather is more durable than pleather. I'm not sure how you would think that vinyl would be more durable than leather is. I've worked with both, so I know.

A friend had one of the Costumbase belts and the holes that the studs go into, for the closure, stretched out and the belt wouldn't stay closed, so I had to put some snaps on it instead.

Definitely not worth more than $35.

ArkaiHalon
09-22-2009, 05:47 AM
Reasons NOT to buy the belt.

1. It's pleather.
2. It's located in singapore*. Although he offers free shipping, it's going to take forever.
3. For about the same price, give or take a few bucks, you can go to your local leather craft store (tandy, some hobby lobbies, etc) and make your own belt from leather. That's what I did, and my belt borders on epic win**.

*Singapore is a fine city. I've been there, I was thoroughly impressed with the cleanliness of the city as well as the hospitality of the citizens. It's just a long way, and shipping will take forever.

**ok, so maybe not epic win, but I'm very proud of my hand made Jedi belt.

cardcollector
09-22-2009, 06:57 AM
Thanks Arkai!
Could you list the supplies you used and around the cost to make yours (including tools)???

I need three, So if I bought the initial supplies and materials were cheaper I would make my own. but right now its ALL about the money.:(

Hey, how about a pic of your belt??!?!:cool:

ArkaiHalon
09-22-2009, 07:45 AM
pix of my belt can be seen here. I don't have any decent close up shots to show it.
I'll try and get the prices gathered up for you, but I don't think it was that expensive.
As for tools (this will make loreen cringe) I used a nail to punch the holes, as I didn't have a leather punch (at the time). All the rivets are screw together, so that was easy. please note, pouches are not included in the price of the belt.

Edit. Just found my price sheet from when I made my belt. total cost came to just under 50.00 total. Now, yes that's more expensive than the costume base pleather one, but I know this one is going to last me alifetime, and not tear, rip, or deteriorate.

Prices
23.20 for 3 inch wide 50 inch long main belt (the most expensive piece)
8.00 for 1 inch side, 50 inch long outer belt
6.00 for side release buckles (large one in back, small one in front)
1.20 for leather belt keepers (used on the smaller belt)
8.00 for the studs that hold the smaller belt in place (1.00 each, i used 8)
3.00 for a 10 pack of the screw posts that hold everything together

this is what I paid. You might be able to get better prices buying in bulk, since you said you want to make 3 belts.
I later added the rear buckle cover, which is a scrap piece of leather that has snaps, that was extra, but not "needed".
your price can also go up with your choice of dye's (I didn't use any dyes on mine, used an old reenactor's trick to give mine the old and weathered color)

duncan29793
09-22-2009, 12:14 PM
thanks Arkai :grin: most helpful

Jay-gon Jinn
09-22-2009, 12:50 PM
Another place to simply buy a completed, 100% leather high-quality belt is: http://www.saberbelt.com/

vorian89
09-22-2009, 01:22 PM
What about these pouches? Are they good or should i just makes some? They are from the same place.
http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/Star-Wars-Jedi-PU-POUCHES-POUCH-Halloween-Functional_W0QQitemZ360178650368QQcmdZViewItemQQpt ZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item53dc520d00

cardcollector
09-22-2009, 03:39 PM
Thanks so much for the advice arkai-
-I just need a belt that will hold a lightsaber so no pouches or anything will be needed at this time
- So all you really need tools wise is a hammer, nails, and a screwdriver?!?!
- Is it pretty straightforward after you buy the parts or do I need to look up a tutorial?

I like that belt (http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=5826) a lot arkai, mine will be black though...

hmmmmm... $50, last a LONG time, adjustable(sp) to fit in future, building with my hands... I think I'll try it if I'm only allowed to spend the money.:rolleyes:

TimeRender
09-22-2009, 04:58 PM
I made a custom belt as well. I bought the hardware from Tandy, the belt blanks and capsules from Ebay, and the belt buckle from Hot Topic. I don't remember how much it cost, but I do know it cost a lot more than a finished belt from Ravenswood.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h241/TimeRender/100_4235.jpg

Below is the belt I purchased from Ravenswood. It was cheaper than making my own, and the quality is higher.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h241/TimeRender/100_4233.jpg

And a few side-by-side shots for comparison.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h241/TimeRender/100_4237.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h241/TimeRender/100_4236.jpg

Either belt is much better than the costume base pleather belts. If you want it to look a little more canon and you're willing to spend a little more, try making your own. If you want something for the same price as the CB belt but made more durable, try Ravenswood.

Jedi-Loreen
09-22-2009, 05:26 PM
vorian, those pouches are barely functional, you can't put much in them, see how narrow those slots in them are? Many of us look for leather military surplus pouches.

cc, I cringe when I hear people say that they want to use a nail to punch holes in leather. That tears a hole that can tear open larger. A leather hole punch cuts a nice, neat hole in the leather.

A Jedi belt consists of 2 straps--a wider one, usually 2 1/2" (I like 2" for women) and 1" for the smaller strap that the buckle goes on (I use 3/4" for 2" belts). Then you need 8 studs, these can be screw in or rivets, screw in are better. You need something to close the belt. I've tried Velcro, but it doesn't stick well to leather for long, or you can use snaps.

If you use snaps or rivets, you need the proper setting tool for each.

You can buy pre-dyed straps, but you are very limited in colors, I prefer to dye my own.

You should buy a mini punch set, I really don't recommend using a nail to punch holes, but I'm sure you'll do what you want.

I have lots of tools, but then, I do leather work as a hobby.

Here are some older belts I have made:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b8/JediLoreen/Leather%20Work/JediandSithbelts.jpg

And one I made a couple years ago:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b8/JediLoreen/Leather%20Work/SUNP0021a.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b8/JediLoreen/Leather%20Work/SUNP0022a.jpg

EDIT:
Cool belt TR. My one criticism is that you put your button studs too far apart. :razz:

TimeRender
09-22-2009, 05:47 PM
The only thing I am unhappy with on my belt is that I didn't have the correct rivet setter for the smaller rivets, so you might notice a halo depression in the leather around them. It actually looks worse in the photos than in real life, but it demonstrates what Loreen was saying, use the right tool for the job. A hole punch set and a rivet setter cost very little, and you'll be much happier with your results. If you want to avoid rivets altogether, use chicago screws and sam browne buttons. Here's one more thing to keep in mind for your first belt. The outer straps will actually need to be longer than the inner belt. This will affect the placement of holes anywhere that you plan to rivet the two pieces together. Measure out the placement of the holes on the inner belt, and then lay it out in a circle on the floor and wrap the outer straps around it to mark the locations of the holes. Otherwise your parts will never line up correctly.

Oh, and the same browne buttons on my belt are for decoration, not for function. My inner belt is riveted in place. This isn't canon, but I prefer the result. If you aren't planning on riveting down the central strap, then you will need to be careful with the placement of the sam browne buttons so they hold the center strap securely.

Jedi-Loreen
09-22-2009, 06:05 PM
That's a good point about measuring for the holes with the 2 straps in a circle. I've seen too many belts where people didn't do that and assembled them with both straps spread flat on a table.

Then, when they finally go to put the ends together, the smaller strap is too tight and the wider one ends up gapping and it doesn't fit right and looks ugly.

I did notice the "halos" around your rivets. ;) I knew the smaller belt was riveted on, but I guess I've made too many Jedi belts where the button studs were functional for it not to bug me a bit. :p

chase
09-22-2009, 06:59 PM
Two things you don't want to cheap out on for a Jedi/Sith costume. Boots and belts. Either or can make or break a costume. Save some money and get a good belt, or take one of these fine tutorials from one of the masters and make one yourself.

ArkaiHalon
09-23-2009, 06:34 AM
- So all you really need tools wise is a hammer, nails, and a screwdriver?!?!

1. Not really. I used a nail because that's what I had at the time. you can pick up a decent inexpensive leather punch at the same time you get your material. they aren't that expensive. I just didn't have mine and didnt' realize I didn't have it until after I got home from the store. I've done leather work on and off for 20 years. I later picked up a new punch and fixed this issue. So, get a punch, and a screwdriver (if you use the screw posts I did) and your good tool wise. if you go with snaps or rivets, definately pick up the appropriate setter, anvil, etc.

Is it pretty straightforward after you buy the parts or do I need to look up a tutorial?

Yes, it's pretty straightforward. Look at the pix and tutorial Jlo posted. big strap. little strap. just remember the old saying. Measure thrice, cut once. also, put your big belt on and then wrap the little belt around you BEFORE you cut the little belt. The little belt acutally as to be slightly longer than the big belt to accomodate the fact it's wrappin around a larger area (you and the other belt, as opposed to just you)

Jedi-Loreen
09-23-2009, 11:14 AM
You also want to wrap the belt around you to decide where you want the studs to go. I usually go about 4-5" from the edges of the buckle for the front set, then put the back set spaced pretty evenly between the front studs and the back of the belt, but that spacing depends on the overall length of the belt and size of the waist.

You also need to watch the vertical spacing for the studs so that you get your holes punched in the right place for the studs to hold the inner belt in place. I made myself a template for the hole spacing for different size belts.

I get my screw in button studs from a place called harwareelf.com and my generic buckles from strapworks.com, but you might be able to find cool looking buckles yourself.

Matt Thorn
09-23-2009, 06:58 PM
To be sure, nothing beats real leather. But I have three of the costumebase (a.k.a. http://utopiabase.com/) belts, and I think they're great. The important thing is that 1) they look good (you have to get pretty close to see they aren't real leather), and 2) they're functional. For the price and convenience, there's nothing better. As for shipping times, I've always been surprised at how quickly I get items from costumebase, but maybe that's because I live in Japan.

As for the pouches, they have limited functionality (you could put your calling cards in there, but not your cellphone), but they are screen accurate--more screen accurate, actually, than proper leather pouches. One problem, though, is that the metal clip is extremely stiff, making it hard to hook onto the belt, and if you hang them on the narrow, middle strip, they sag. But, again, you can't beat the price and convenience. I've made my own functional, semi-screen-accurate pouches from pleather, and while I think I did a good job, they still look like pleather. Making fairly screen-accurate pouches from real leather would take leather-crafting skills that are way beyond me, particularly since the props used on screen were carved or molded, then cast in resin and painted (if I recall correctly).

Someone mentioned boots. I have a pair of pleather boots I ordered from http://www.caboots.com/, and after a single day of wear, the plastic around the Achilles tendon area had worn off.:mad: Pleather boots really look like pleather, even from a distance. But I'm not yet ready to invest in a pair of proper leather boots. :wink:

With costumebase, you need to pick and choose. The plastic energy capsules are great; the metal ones aren't. In the photos, the costumes all look cheesy to me, except for the Obi-Wan, but since I have already made a jedi costume I'm quite happy with, I don't foresee seriously thinking about buying one in the near future.

Just my two cents.

Tenric Starkindler
09-23-2009, 08:02 PM
Reasons NOT to buy the belt.

1. It's pleather.
2. It's located in singapore*. Although he offers free shipping, it's going to take forever.
3. For about the same price, give or take a few bucks, you can go to your local leather craft store (tandy, some hobby lobbies, etc) and make your own belt from leather. That's what I did, and my belt borders on epic win**.

*Singapore is a fine city. I've been there, I was thoroughly impressed with the cleanliness of the city as well as the hospitality of the citizens. It's just a long way, and shipping will take forever.

**ok, so maybe not epic win, but I'm very proud of my hand made Jedi belt.

Just a word on my experience with this seller from singapore.
I was quite happy with my order (other costume based items; not a belt) and it arrived much faster than I expected.

Matt Thorn
09-23-2009, 08:23 PM
Just a word on my experience with this seller from singapore.
I was quite happy with my order (other costume based items; not a belt) and it arrived much faster than I expected.
Right. In this day and age, distance has little to do with shipping time.

cardcollector
09-24-2009, 07:00 AM
To be sure, nothing beats real leather. But I have three of the costumebase (a.k.a. http://utopiabase.com/) belts, and I think they're great. The important thing is that 1) they look good (you have to get pretty close to see they aren't real leather), and 2) they're functional. For the price and convenience, there's nothing better. As for shipping times, I've always been surprised at how quickly I get items from costumebase, but maybe that's because I live in Japan.

As for the pouches, they have limited functionality (you could put your calling cards in there, but not your cellphone), but they are screen accurate--more screen accurate, actually, than proper leather pouches. One problem, though, is that the metal clip is extremely stiff, making it hard to hook onto the belt, and if you hang them on the narrow, middle strip, they sag. But, again, you can't beat the price and convenience. I've made my own functional, semi-screen-accurate pouches from pleather, and while I think I did a good job, they still look like pleather. Making fairly screen-accurate pouches from real leather would take leather-crafting skills that are way beyond me, particularly since the props used on screen were carved or molded, then cast in resin and painted (if I recall correctly).

Someone mentioned boots. I have a pair of pleather boots I ordered from http://www.caboots.com/, and after a single day of wear, the plastic around the Achilles tendon area had worn off.:mad: Pleather boots really look like pleather, even from a distance. But I'm not yet ready to invest in a pair of proper leather boots. :wink:

With costumebase, you need to pick and choose. The plastic energy capsules are great; the metal ones aren't. In the photos, the costumes all look cheesy to me, except for the Obi-Wan, but since I have already made a jedi costume I'm quite happy with, I don't foresee seriously thinking about buying one in the near future.

Just my two cents.

That was worth a lot more than 2 cents:mrgreen:

$22 for a belt that looks like that... That's pretty hard to beat. (a lot better than $35 on ebay)

Thanks Matt, You may have saved me a TON of money!;)

Matt Thorn
09-24-2009, 07:42 AM
That was worth a lot more than 2 cents:mrgreen:

$22 for a belt that looks like that... That's pretty hard to beat. (a lot better than $35 on ebay)

Thanks Matt, You may have saved me a TON of money!;)
Glad to be of help. Just note that if you order from utopiabase, rather than eBay's costumebase, shipping is not free. I don't know what shipping would cost, but it still might be cheaper than if you buy from eBay, particularly if you order multiple items. I understand people who won't settle for pleather, but for my money (literally), utopiabase's "Full Jedi Utility Belt Set (http://utopiabase.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_2_8&products_id=26)" is a serious bargain. If you're making a Jedi costume, that takes care of a big chunk of it that could be a major headache if you're not experienced in leathercraft. Someday I'll make my own from real leather, but for now I'm quite happy with these belts. (But I do want to upgrade to real leather boots!)