PDA

View Full Version : Supermarket Shame on you

Pullo
09-19-2009, 12:53 AM
This story, surprisingly, took up quite a few column inches over here.
I found the supermarkets response quite amusing.:)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/sep/18/jedi-religion-tesco-hood-jones

Invisas1979
09-19-2009, 01:10 AM
I found this both amusing and highly offensive on the part of Tesco.

Though I don't believe that one of the rules for being a "religious" Jedi pertains to wearing a hood out in public, if it is a religious aspect of the "church" he has founded based on Jedi'ism then he has every right to.

Just because Jedi'ism is seen as a faux religion doesn't mean it should be ignored or treated with distain. There are many religions where clothing is integral and in this Liberal country where religion is flaunted in similar ways, this is just a joke.

You can't even ask a Rasta to put out a spliff as it's part of their religion but a Jedi can chucked out of a store for wearing a hood over their face..... :roll:

Pullo
09-19-2009, 01:55 AM
I agree, I'm not entirely sure about the "Hoods must be worn in public..." but your right, it does raise issues. I really really really do not want to get into a big debate on religion but, as you say, many religions use clothing as part of their belief systems. I doubt very much wether in this PC crazy world they would have been brave enough to ask
a member of a more mainstream religion to remove an item of clothing. I just thought that Tescos responce was quite well researched as they are correct, it was only Palpatine who didn't remove his hood. Not that I plan to do my weekly shop dressed in my Jedi costume. I only shop as a Clonetrooper!!!!:p

cardcollector
09-19-2009, 06:37 AM
Some people are taking theirselves to seriously...:rolleyes:

Invisas1979
09-19-2009, 07:03 AM
Some people are taking theirselves to seriously...:rolleyes:

Yes, and next time I go to Tesco in my jedi garb , I will attack anyone who tries to oust me with my LIGHTSABER. Yes that's right I carry a LIGHTSABER.

This is a weapon of a jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or as random as a blaster, a more civilized weapon for a more civilized age........

annon
09-19-2009, 07:50 AM
Lucky they didn't try that with a Sith...

"Clean up on aisle three" :lol:

ErikTheHack
09-19-2009, 08:46 AM
Hmmm... This makes me wonder: How bad of a beating could you put on someone with a battle blade?

Wouldn't that make a funny YouTube video? Jedi whacking the H-E-double hockey sticks out of a grocery store clerk. LOL!

Rhyen Skytracker
09-19-2009, 09:49 AM
I know when I go to my local Wal-mart in my Jedi gear, I don't have my hood pulled up, but I do have my lightsaber on my belt and I have never been asked to leave or remove my lightsaber. (people pretty much stay away from me and keep giving me strange looks though) LOL

I think the problem with wearing a hood is that if you try to rob a store they can't identify you.

Eco
09-19-2009, 10:30 AM
I think the problem with wearing a hood is that if you try to rob a store they can't identify you.
"Gimme the money or I'll beat you with my glowy-stick/saber!

Lol.

This is actually not being taken seriously enough, I think. Discrimination, even against something that's just a little ridiculous, is bad.

Brackley
09-19-2009, 01:41 PM
You can't even ask a Rasta to put out a spliff as it's part of their religion but a Jedi can chucked out of a store for wearing a hood over their face..... :roll:

Are you sure about that? I'm trying to find a source to corroborate it, but all I can find is:

In 1998, then-Attorney General of the United States Janet Reno, gave a legal opinion that Rastafari do not have the religious right to smoke ganjah in violation of the United States' drug laws. The position is the same in the United Kingdom, where, in the Court of Appeal case of R. v. Taylor [2002] 1 Cr. App. R. 37, it was held that the UK's prohibition on cannabis use did not contravene the right to freedom of religion conferred under the Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms.

Anyway, were robes even a unique "uniform" for the Jedi? Anakin only recognised Qui-Gonn because of his lightsabre, and Obi-Wan is able to move around Tatooine in his old Jedi garb with no problem in ANH. I always assumed the Jedi just wore the simplest most practical clothes they could, to go with their humble servitude to the Force...so this guy really isn't following the path of the Jedi by dressing up. I, however, am being a true Jedi Knight by going out every day in jeans, a plain t-shirt and a warm coat. :D

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
09-19-2009, 07:11 PM
I know when I go to my local Wal-mart in my Jedi gear, I don't have my hood pulled up, but I do have my lightsaber on my belt and I have never been asked to leave or remove my lightsaber. (people pretty much stay away from me and keep giving me strange looks though) LOL

Is that with or without the dragon slippers?:p;)

Sairon
09-19-2009, 07:42 PM
Wow, I can see that discrimination is rude/bad but, I love how the store came back with that most jedis don't wear hoods in public.:p

Charmaynard
02-22-2010, 07:19 AM
You Gotta love the Store's final words, though.

"If the Jedi keep their hoods up, they'll miss our special Deals!"

$tarkiller
02-22-2010, 08:13 AM
Get the net-gun! I want this zombie alive! :p