PDA

View Full Version : lightsaber fighting club

Whitetiger
09-12-2009, 10:38 PM
Hello Folks.
I am a high school saber coach, I am starting a lightsaber fighting club and
saber trick spinning academy in IL n Wis.
I am going to use armor from hocky and other sports to protect everyone,
kind of like kendo. I have about 50 kids so far signed up. we will start after this season ends in Feb. We will use the U.S. fencing rules for saber But
no hitting with the point just controlled blade hits above the waist.
( The Point hits way too hard ) so far the fights we have had between my students are #1 very controlled, safe, Fun, and easy to see the hits and awarded the point. We fence to the first 5 point winner. we fence till a hit then we stop reset and go again till someone gets 5 points Just like our sport saber fencing. We have 7 girls fencing too and they can beat the guys too.
I was concerned at first that the slashs would be too hard but its not
any power swing are parryed easyly and the repost fast so hard hitters are put away fast.
the armor is coming on line as we find better stuff that fits to this sport.
hockey full face mask the long kind, neck protector, chest and arm armor,
field hockey gloves, teeth guard, and cup. the referee call the match and stops it award the points. We have been useing the right of way rule.
but may change it to a simo no point our both get points.
not sure yet

well that was long sorry
we are going to use the e series line for now.
I hope to get up to speed on bulding LS and stuff as we get past the season.

I have seen the fighting on youtube its not safe no protection and sloppy.
I hope we can get other clubs up and go to other clubs for a match.
we have 4 sets of armor so far.
i will post some photos soon the white armor is very cool looks like stormtroops and the black looks like vader.
Oh the girls are very aggressive.

well if you have any ideas on any part of this let me know.
thanks
WT

DarthHideous
09-13-2009, 12:13 AM
Wow! I wish I had a class like this in school. It's perfect for kids as they have a lot of aggression that needs to come out.
This is a healthy way to release it. Especially if two kids want to fight, just have them engage in a saber fight.

Oops, sorry. I forgot. 1st rule of Lightsaber Fighting Club, don't talk about Lightsaber Fighting Club.

Best of luck W.Tiger. Very cool idea.

Guardianofwinds
09-13-2009, 02:22 PM
Wicked awesome!!! I was considering doing something like that here in IA. Have you experienced any difficulties while doing so?

Jedi-Loreen
09-13-2009, 04:05 PM
Fighting with aggression in a class like this is BAD. It leads to loss of control. I suppose if you allow people to do that, you need armor.

If, however, you can teach people to use control and use only 50% power, then you don't need armor.

I've been fighting in a group for 4 years now and we don't use armor because we don't use full power. We get minor bruises now and then, but we've never had any serious injuries. And we don't allow head or crotch shots.

If we see someone getting overly aggressive or losing control, we make them sit out so they won't be a danger to themselves or anyone else.

chase
09-13-2009, 09:04 PM
Yes, I agree with J-Lo. Teaching those kids control should be the first thing you do. If not, you are going to have 50 kids swinging lightsabers like they are baseball bats. Control...you must learn control!

sekrogue1985
09-14-2009, 11:19 AM
I completely agree with J-lo!

cardcollector
09-14-2009, 05:32 PM
Fighting with aggression in a class like this is BAD. It leads to loss of control. I suppose if you allow people to do that, you need armor.

If, however, you can teach people to use control and use only 50% power, then you don't need armor.

I've been fighting in a group for 4 years now and we don't use armor because we don't use full power. We get minor bruises now and then, but we've never had any serious injuries. And we don't allow head or crotch shots.

If we see someone getting overly aggressive or losing control, we make them sit out so they won't be a danger to themselves or anyone else.

I've gotta explain this to my buddy I fight with...:rolleyes:

DJMoonbass
09-14-2009, 09:50 PM
this kinda sounds like my highschool club except i help them build MHS sabers for fun then we use random sabers stunt sabers and CarbonFiber blades to film our choreographed duels

ARKM
09-15-2009, 02:37 AM
Notice that Whitetiger stated that he is a high school fencing coach, not a high school student. He probably knows what he's doing in regards to having kids fence. Just sayin'.

Jedi-Loreen
09-15-2009, 03:31 AM
My comment about letting aggressive kids fight was more directed toward Darth Hideous' comment.

Whitetiger
09-15-2009, 05:36 AM

Hi People. I am a Coach of saber fencing.
My team has 80 high school students, we fence 10 other high school teams.
We have fencing mask and jackets, so that we can fence full speed and we have control, speed and control makes great fencing. sure we have hard hitters they don't do well and lost fast. and learn or keep losing.
If a hard hitter can hit me then ok i need to be better force takes time to grow
speed is fast not power if you pulled your arm way back to hit me if i just stood there it would hurt, but i am going to stop cut you and parry and get out of range. I have seen the fights on line and some are ok.
but have you guys seen the youtube fencing with saber the steel kind like the oly do thats what we do, now we are going to do it with light sabers.
kendo uses armor to protect and permit full speed and head cuts body cuts and real movement, a referee is use in our sport like u.s fencing.
fencing is a honor sport if you have none you get black carded and are out.
our rule book is very thick and our referees have years of training most are fencers and coachs. you will see all the spins and stuff that are so big on the screen are very small in real life. some are pres de fers and binds and rolling blocks and pins and sweeps we do them for real.
the crossover you guys do way too big in a real fight it is 3 inchs wide and hits the arm all the time moving forward. big moves tell the other guy what you are doing and will get parryed or you will get counter attacked.
But i don't want to get you all up in arms I think what you all do is great.
some of our people want to do what you do and there will be people who will join us. i want to be a part of this group with my kids and adults students. I want them to have fun meet and make new friends and enjoy it all.
I want our clubs poping up every where. wait till you see a 10 year old do a beat attack to the head and that gets parryed by a 12 year old who repost back to the 10 year old head and he parrys that and repost to 4 and hits and get the point in a 1/2 second.
fencing with out gear is like playing football with out gear
its tag football its fun but add gear and the skill can be shown
at full speed just try it you will like it.
i have fenced for 30 years and i have been a coach for 10.
we do not cross blades with out a mask too many old coachs with one eye.
fencing at speed is exciting and fun.
now we add the lights and sound and your devotion to this game
thats what our fencing is its a game, a sport, and family.
so i want to add all your ideas and want you to feel free to say anything you want Let me try to open your hearts. I have people who want to meet you and be happy to join your groups and you ours.

we have some gals and guys who are smart and love people.

the only problem i have ran into was too many kids for my first class i was ready for 20 we got 53 who signed up so we started a second and third class.
we teach basic fencing for 4 weeks then 3 touch sparing then after awhile full
sparing for 15 touch bouts. the class then jsut keeps going on for 8 weeks then starts over then we add a advance class on sat.
so anyway let me know what you think.
WT

Whitetiger
09-15-2009, 05:40 AM
Notice that Whitetiger stated that he is a high school fencing coach, not a high school student. He probably knows what he's doing in regards to having kids fence. Just sayin'.

Thank you.
I salute you with a full bow
Da Coach

Whitetiger
09-15-2009, 05:58 AM
Ok I have post a reply to all of you post but put it in the wrong spot its long so here the cut down page.
I teach fencing, and have been fencing fo 30 years I am a high school fencing coach we fence ten other schools.
we use gear in fencing, I would not let any person fence with out gear.
I also teach kids who fence. all are safe and happy.
we fence at full speed after they learn to fence. we have a rule book thats very thick and referees who know the rules.
We want all of you to join us we want clubs like this to pop up every where.
We love what you do. We love what we do. fencing when you get good at it is like talking to someone and learning how they think and feel.
you can flirt and back talk depends on other is on the other side.
I want to hear all of your post I want to open your hearts

The only problem i ran into was i was ready for 20 kids but 53 signed up so we added a second and third class.

We look cool in the armor too. we have switched to football helmets with
clear visors and guards. hockey chest armor and karate arm guards.
very cool stuff the kids love it . the fighting is fast and the pops are loud and the people watching go nuts. its a heck of a lot of fun and no marks at all on anyone. the helmets are being decal and painted by the kids and some are wild.
I am getting a new one for me thats has Da Coach on the back of it.
Thats what my kids call me.
well see ya soon and as one of our guys get up to it we will post some photos.
We are honored to join you.
WT

DJMoonbass
09-15-2009, 09:34 AM
T T T T TRIPLE POST!!! :eek: ;)

Jedi-Loreen
09-15-2009, 10:40 AM
I respect what you are doing in your classes. And that you have the resources for armor and protective gear.

But those kids will never be able to spar casually with anyone outside the class. They will be used to wearing armor, as their opponents do, and will also be used to fighting at full speed and strength and using head shots. They will be a danger to anyone who has not been trained the same way they are.

The class I'm in is more informal and for fun. It's for Star Wars geeks and people who don't have the money or resources or desire to join a dojo to learn Kendo. We do use shinai, because most people can afford one of those, not all can afford a $100+ lightsaber. Most of us are poor, middle class working people, or even poorer college students.

We also do choreographed fights for a few shows we do for kids, here and there.

Whitetiger
09-15-2009, 05:14 PM
Thanks for replying.

I have paid for the armor the kids have not. I own the armor and lightsabers.
I have 4 set of fighting armor the students use my gear and trade off when they fight.
The sabers cost around $50.00 each I got the omen lightsabers.
When I am training them they stand in line and train with each other
under control and supervision. when they fight they are under a referee and coachs supervision.
the kids pay $10.00 a class
in training they use fencing masks and jackets that I provide and own.
the kids have to wear gym shoes and shirts. thats all they bring to class.
They bring their friends and familys to class too.
We have rules and organizations.
If at some point a person wants a lightsaber for themselfs they can buy them from me as they have one in their hands that they have trained with or can go on line and buy one . I give them a sheet with sites on it.
10.00 is not a lot of money but if some child wants to fence for one class
and has no money i let him or her fence. Its a game any kid can play.
if you think about it ten people can put money in a pot and start doing what i am doing. You have to have someone who wants to start a club and can
be trusted. this is new stuff there will be walls to overcome. we will grow
and I hope other clubs will start and join us I can bring this gear anywhere.
geeks are smart cause we have a ton of them in our club.
from on line gamers to math wiz's. but this style of club is for getting better
at sword fighting in a game. there is no " I GOT YOU"
if the referee did not call a hit you keep fighting and make the movement clearer to show the hit--control, better, faster and with honor.
We salute before a duel and after we shake hands and salute.
we make friends and smiles.
I hope this makes you trust us a little more, cause we would love for everone to joins us. we are people persons if a person can not follow our rules then we tryed maybe this club is not for them. fencing with a steel saber is not for everyone but there are a lot of us , light sabers may be will grow and become a international sport with a national teams. Why not?
its new and exciting. My kids get new kids to fence every year,
so they can fence with anyone, but you have to wear gear till you have control then if you are doing a show take the mask off after you have the
series of moves you are doing down. I will not have 10 year old lose a eye in my class or get a black mark on his face or back. thats just not right.
safety first. in the old days before masks swordsmaster lost eyes and had scars all over. I wear mask and i still get scars, its a steel blade.
But i have both eyes and my insur-co still keeps me. a good thing.
parents like the fact that its safe. and guys the armor is so cool we wear it on the outside of our shirts with a helmet and lightsaber. Oh my God.
its a blast the kids hate to leave and want to keep going.
Oh some of the kids try the big spins and if they are not to close to the other fencer or the other guy is off guard you can do it. the basic spin you can do as you move into advance distance but not much more than that, You open your hand up to a stop hit or your chest n head to a lunge counter attack.
I am sorry i talk too much. but We want you on our side, we want you to join us, be our friends help us.

a jedi is growing, we are building the academy, We are on search for the force in you, join us, resistance is aaa oh wrong show! haha just kiding. Help me Obi-Wan! your my only hope. or not.

its a game but the people are real and they are wonderful, bring your A game
we don't want to play your b team.
our adult ladies said you beat them and you can kiss them. they win the drinks are on you.
WT

DarthHideous
09-16-2009, 04:29 AM
My comment about letting aggressive kids fight was more directed toward Darth Hideous' comment.

I did not mean that aggressive kids should saber fight. I just meant that it is a better way, a more controlled way than just fighting it out in the school yard. Settling differences in a healthier way, hopefully, while learning control and I agree if someone gets too aggressive they should sit out for a while. It's still a cool idea for an activity class. Also a good way of burning energy, which might actually keep outside fighting down. If you give kids a positive outlet then they are less likely to explore bad ones.

cardcollector
09-16-2009, 05:33 AM
Whitetiger:

I really like what you said about the people who hit hard-They always lose.

When ever I have a person hitting to hard, first I warn them, then if I get another complaint... I fight them-and then I embarrass them by "Killing" them in a few swift stokes. I then explain that speed is the key-not strength.

This is very important for our group because we don't have any armor whatsoever. so very serious injuries could result from a hard hit from a polycarbonate tube.

That's just my stand...:rolleyes:

$tarkiller
09-16-2009, 09:00 AM
May I suggest Lacrosse armor instead of large bulky hockey armor? Its more lightweight and less expensive.

Whitetiger
09-17-2009, 01:47 AM
May I suggest Lacrosse armor instead of large bulky hockey armor? Its more lightweight and less expensive.

Thanks I got 4 email on lacross so I am going to check it out.
I will let you know thanks again
WT

Darth Midian
09-21-2009, 06:02 PM
I think WT has an awesome idea. I would love to be a part of something like that. My son and I would definitely join if there was a club like that in Columbus Ohio. I'm still working on my first saber, but when I'm done I would really like to meet like minded people in my area to spar with. How awsome would that be if lightsaber dueling became an olympic event. I can't see why not. If BB gun (air rifle) marksmanship can be an event I can't see why lightsaber dueling couldn't. Again great idea.

Kant Lavar
09-21-2009, 11:32 PM
I have seen the fighting on youtube its not safe no protection and sloppy.

Just playing Devil's Advocate here, since I don't know which videos you're referring to, exactly, but are you certian that those saber vids were of people going at it for real, or were they doing a choreographed fight? Choreography, if done right and done well, is pretty convincing, which is rather the point. (I submit for your consideration on this point, the "Ryan vs. Dorkman" videos. You don't have to be a Hollywood stuntman to do this kind of thing.)

Regardless, good to hear you're getting such a good turnout for your "fencing with lightsabers" classes. Any exposure the hobby can get is a good thing - who knows, maybe you're instructing the next Erv right now! :mrgreen:

Whitetiger
10-06-2009, 01:30 PM
I saw the ryan na dorkman fight on you tube and its great better than the movies some times. But I am talking about real fights with our light sabers with rules and a referee. real fights are at greater distances and then then close and retreat, parry and repost. counter and stop cuts. speed and distance are the key. most planned fight are very close and the speed is the same never a change up. their distance is never a mistake where one misseds and the other stopcuts a arm or head which in a saber fight i do a lot, I like to bait my opponet and retreat as they attack and fall short and cut then in the arm or head.
the plan fight has no disengages, Could a planned fight look like a real fight
oh yes look at the movie (the duel) that is the best sword fight scenes in a modern style I have seen. ( I have heard one of the actors was cut in one of the scenes) it took the same time other movie fight took, but unless you are a train fencer you would like the planned fight better it is more fancy.
But some times a real saber fight between real good fencers are awesome.
beats any movie ever. like a 14 to 14 bout next point wins and they are moving as fast as they can and a beat attack and parry repost is blocked and a counter parry repost is blocked and so on and no one gets hit, no score lights go on and they break distance and start over the emotion can be painful watching
WT

Darth Zion
10-14-2009, 02:14 PM
my question is what fighting style to you teach? Is it the standard fencing poses or more simalure to the movie fighting styles.

Whitetiger
10-19-2009, 06:35 PM
I am a saber coach for a high school team.
I do not teach movie or pose moves. I teach how to fight with a saber a steel saber, you wear a mask or lose a eye. some times you will get a bruise from our sabers thats fencing. not ok you hit me here and i parry and attack you there. You do not know where you will be attack you defend yourself as best you can and fight back. I teach students how to fight. we fence other high school teams and adults in open matches. we are the same style as the olympics saber fencers use.
I have had people come up and say I know how to fence I am a master saber fencer in warcraft. or something like that and they don't know how to hold
a saber. then they want to fence without a mask. its like ok take my eye
I use to try and teach them that if you have protection you can use all of you skill and do the very best you can and not hurt anyone. but they are close minded so i do not try. if you come to my gym you play by our rules.
we teach, you learn, then you fence. no swing away and yell i got you.
in our rules there is a referee who decides if you got hit.
honor and respect is a big part of fencing. we make friends of all we can.
just if your a master in a video game then you can teach me in that video game, let me teach you in our game.
WT

Whitetiger
10-19-2009, 07:19 PM
Hi guys n gals.
We have decide to use padded fencing masks from absolute fencing the padded masks cut down on the noise when a lightsaber hit your head a football helmet rings and hurts your hears and will not protec your neck-the coach's black padded mask for head protection the best we could find.
lacross chest protectors from schults. and arm guards from karate.
gloves from icon in our lightsaber fighting clubs.
the gear is not a lot of money and it the best protection we could find.
even if we wanted to pay a lot this is the best. so we have the gear down now. The rules are going on as we twik the usfa rules for the lightsaber.
stopcuts are the fav move so far too many people not useing distance right and the attack is too long and not excuted right. saber fencers look for that.
We are not sure about stop thurst yet its a very hard stiff blade it hurts so we may not allow stabbings undecided still working on it.
the fights so far move from two hands to one hand and back very fast and
we allow cross over advances the running attack is the main attack. parrys are hard and we have seen colllisions ( corp to corp.)
the hits are very fast but are easy to see the hvy blade slow the action down.
there is a follow thro with the weight of the blade. make a mistake on the attack or parry and the recover time is huge.
forget to use distance and you die.
we have girls beating guys who swing hard and the girl steps back and let the guy swing past and hits them with a push cut lunge. very sweet.
ok so we will post some photos after we get some costumes.

We are useing the above gear but the girls wanted us to wear black sweatpant and tshirts with color stripes on one arm ( the left arm) to show your skill rank we use color duck tape on one arm to show a new person, a basic fencer and then a advance fencer, and then coach , gym shoes and a white karate top so we are going to try that, but some of the guys said we should not use belts that someone could mistake for a karate rank belt, I asked could we use white and not upset anyone who worked hard to get a rank belt, they said we should use a belt that is like a worker tool belt then it would not look like a karate belt but look like jedi belt. I have no clue what the heck a jedi belt looks like.
could we fight in that kind of belt. it has to fit under our chest protector.
anyone got a idea? and what kind of karate top looks good for jedi.
ok I am out of my element here.
Oh the color arm tape is just to show who you should ask for help not a
level you earn when you fence a while you know when you can change colors.
when you can help new people.
the skill is easy to see on someone we don't want there to be test to pass and money spent on rank test.
when we have matches as you win or lose you find out your skill level.
there is a lot of friends here so you get pointers from every one and as we get better we will put on fights for groups or tv or whatever. so we want to look good.
one guy said we should use jedi names so what is a jedi name?

he said cut your name in half and add to it like
my name is Delbert Gordon = DEL-GOR my jedi name would be
DEL-GOR GAN
but is there a diff way to make jedi names.
cause there are some names that will not work.
help me if you can
WT

Jedi-Loreen
10-19-2009, 07:42 PM
I agree that thrusting with Kendo shinai is not good. Very different than using a foil or epee, which, as you know, are flexible, unlike the shinai.

Jedi name generators:
http://www.google.com/search?q=jedi+name+generator&sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS306US306&aq=t

These are what Jedi belts look like:

http://members.shaw.ca/kentandrae/Polyester_Padawan/JediBeltStyle.jpg

http://www.robewarriors.com/images/f&sf/jedi1.jpg

http://www.jedi-robe.com/images/product/image/mini/2025980445.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b8/JediLoreen/Leather%20Work/SUNP0021a.jpg

And in the future, please try to refrain from double posting. If you want to post more after you just posted and noone else has posted anything since, please edit your last post.

Thanks.

Novastar
10-20-2009, 02:19 AM
Actually, the target of the the throat "tsuki" in Kendo basically requires a thrusting maneuver. It's basically a "stop hit"-style counter-attack executed at the proper time (and distance of course)... to arrest a faulty or ill-prepared attack. It is indeed a valid attack... and... a good idea--at times.

In general, tsuki is best used when fools "pump" their arms backward prior to an attack--telegraphing their moves. This is usually a fatal mistake against a well-trained fencer or kendo practitioner / swordsman in general. Or... whatever. Sword-woman. :)

For Kendo's targeting--in general, you have "men" (head), "do" (body) "cote" (hand/arm), and "tsuki" (throat).

Western Sabre Fencing is similar, as the target area is the waist and up (excluding the hands).

I don't know what this thread is doing under costuming... but... here we are. lol

annon
10-20-2009, 08:24 AM
Just to add to what Novastar said, tsuki is a valid attack, but DO NOT do this unless your wearing Kendo armour. It's designed to take the blow safely. A jab to the throat, even with a shinai or other practice sword (no mater how padded) can kill you.:!:

Darth Midian
10-20-2009, 11:36 AM
White Tiger, You should post some video of your bouts. I would really love to see what's going on in your club. It sounds awesome. I would love to join it, but I'm a little out of the way.

cardcollector
10-20-2009, 01:20 PM
one guy said we should use jedi names so what is a jedi name?

he said cut your name in half and add to it like
my name is Delbert Gordon = DEL-GOR my jedi name would be
DEL-GOR GAN
but is there a diff way to make jedi names.
cause there are some names that will not work.
help me if you can
WT

Ok, real quick- if you format you posts a little better more questions may be answered... It is stinking hard to read your posts...;)

Now on to the names...
I personally think it would be better to name your swords that yourselves.
Here's what I do:
1. I come up with a story behind the name, or an event that happened while making the saber (or fighting in combat)
2. I then try to narrow it down to 1-3 English words
3. I then take my knowledge of latin and find synonyms, and like words and then convert the English Words to Latin.

So take for example- My dark Jedi name: In my sword fighting group I was pretty much the only experienced fighter- so (I'm not bragging just stating the facts) i would often fight 5-6 people on a team. I use a double blade so it was relatively easy.

My name: Sollus Vir: "A man alone"

Hope this helps.

Whitetiger
10-18-2010, 01:18 PM
my question is what fighting style to you teach? Is it the standard fencing poses or more simalure to the movie fighting styles.

I teach sabre fencing.

Loachri MacTalabh
12-17-2010, 09:25 PM
May I suggest Lacrosse armor instead of large bulky hockey armor? Its more lightweight and less expensive. Playing Lacrosse myself all 4 years in High School. I can firmly say; Lacrosse pads are so similar to hockey pads, 2/3 of our team wore hockey pads. You are correct in stating they are cheaper.

iamdrake
12-17-2010, 09:29 PM
I played lacrosse in HS also... never wore more than a helmet and gloves... ahhh back when i thought i was invincible... good times...

Loachri MacTalabh
12-17-2010, 09:36 PM
Good times indeed!