PDA

View Full Version : User Reviews of NSCFCD#1 (1st Sound Compendium CD for CF by Novastar)

Novastar
09-09-2009, 11:49 PM
I'd love to see reviews, thoughts, what you liked, what you didn't... things you'd like to tell people about your experience using the 1st Sound Compendium for CF.

I think it would benefit new folks who plan to buy as well. Although it's true that most anything you want to know is on the site link:

http://thecuttingedge.s5.com/bop/nstar_cd.html

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORT OVER THE PAST YEAR!! It's been astonishing to me how many have purchased the CD... and continue to purchase it. :) I'm in the DIY saber community's debt.

strengthofrage
09-10-2009, 04:47 AM
Well, I will admit that though wiring isn't a problem for me, the configuration deal would have been impossible without Nova's compendium. Aside from all of the 'at your fingertips' coolness of the sound fonts, the walk-through tutorials where you can see Nova's own computer screen and have him vocally talk you through setting up your CF configs was most helpful. I have had problems when changing things on my CF and I get the "BEEEEP BEEP BEEP" telling me I did something wrong... I pop in Nova's dvd and.. yup, there it is. I forgot to format the SD card. I very much NEED the compendium and anxiously await the release of the 2nd :)

...On a side note, I have had a lot of fun with the fight sequence portion of the compendium as well. If you haven't stood up from your computer, ignited your saber and moved along with the tutorial... you're missing out ;)

SoR

Jay-gon Jinn
09-10-2009, 10:52 AM
I have watched everything on the first CD, and found it extremely helpful when I needed to change the sound fonts on my CF saber. The video demo's on how to change the fonts on the SD card are like gold, especially if you have never had a CF before. Then there's all the extra sound fonts included on the CD as well....If you have a CF, and don't have Nova's CD, you are seriously short changing yourself with that CF, and not taking full advantage of it.

Ram21
09-12-2009, 12:00 PM
The video's alone are worth the price. I do not have a CF yet and I have enjoyed the sounds as well as the tutorials. The staged combat videos are the best part for me. This takes my experience to the next level.

Novastar
10-06-2009, 04:21 AM
LOL three whole reviews, huh? :P

Not that I'm complaining... I'm just... surprised. hahahah

Darth Abominor
10-06-2009, 07:23 AM
Maybe if I could find a CF to buy, then I could review one. :rolleyes:;-)

Seriously, I love the bits I have seen thus far on the CF Sound Fonts, the CD Set, and anything CF related. What an amazing device and a sure buy for any saber I am working on when the boards become available for sale again.

Onli-Won Kanomi
10-06-2009, 07:53 AM
I hope these will still be available when the second one launches with the upcoming run of CF 4.3 so that I can pick them BOTH up...if slowww typing me gets lucky enough to get a CF that is...they both sound amazing, which we all know the CF is.

Jedi-Loreen
10-06-2009, 01:19 PM
You can delete your own posts, guess you didn't know that. If you click Edit, you'll see a Delete button on the bottom right. ;)

Why would the CDs not be available? Nova probably just copies them when he gets an order, which would make more sense than having a bunch of them lying around. :p

$tarkiller
10-06-2009, 01:49 PM
Yold always give one to me. :mrgreen:

Onli-Won Kanomi
10-06-2009, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the delete button JLo. I actually never noticed that before. Doh! on me.

Well sometimes when a new version of something comes out the old version is discontinued even when the older version is of excellent quality...remember the 'New Coke' debacle?

Everything I've heard about it tells me that Novastar's first CD is terrific but I just couldnt quite wrap my OCD 'things should go properly together' mindset [think Sheldon in Big Bang Theory] around buying one when I could never get lucky with the CF 'lottery' and too often in life I've 'missed out' on things that way when I can't get them together. Yeah I'm weird.

Mcich
10-06-2009, 11:45 PM
alas I have misplaced my CD, chances are it's in either a mass pile of junk in the spare room or its been accidentally thrown, need a replacement for that one methinks.

I was smart enough to backup all the fonts onto my laptop though, gimmee some credit ;) lol

the fonts are just amazingly well done, the variety in them is overwhelming and the "Feel" of the force powers when you unleash one is simply just a childhood dream come true for me.

the PDF files are simply just sent from the heavens themselves when it comes to detailing how to alter certain things like idle LED's in a clamp (remember the fun we had there Nova? the change from pulsing to flashing)

when the 2nd CD is released I will most definitely be purchasing one, along with a replacement CD1, lol.

if you have a CF and DONT have this CD, WHATS WRONG WITH YOU!!!!!

Novastar
10-07-2009, 09:48 PM
Thanks guys... and thanks Mcich... sorry you lost the CD though, lol!

Umm... let's see:

* I must keep extra CDs burned and ready-to-go, as the burning of the information takes about 4-7 minutes (not kidding, it's 700MB)... and the LightScribing process takes 30 minutes (not kidding).

* FYI: I burn in this order so it is absolutely impossible for me to ever make a mistake and send out a "blank" info CD. Info goes FIRST... then the L-Scribing...

* I generally keep 5-10 CDs ready and waiting since if someone orders... I may not have the time to do the above burning info if I'm teaching, tricking, training, building, demo-ing or just doing Darth Real-Life...

* By having the CDs "ready" and "in stock"... I often ship the CD only hours after an order is placed.

* CD#1 will ~NOT~ be discontinued for any reason. Until I say otherwise. Which is unlikely that I would.

* CD#2 will be available along with the next release of CF (it's actually 99.5% complete at this present moment)

* FYI: Yup, it actually costs me ~ $2.50 to ship a CD. Sometimes more, sometimes less (depends on the location). But that's why it is what it is.

* Much to my surprise, I've shipped to places I thought would never know the CD existed... such as Puerto Rico, Mexico (!), Norway, The Netherlands, Japan, Indonesia and Australia. Now... naturally I have many orders from the U.K. and U.S. ...

* The first order of my CD from France... that was NOT Erv... AND who did not order directly from Erv when he had copies of the CD#1 to sell (when it first was created)... was sold VERY RECENTLY (about a month ago).

* In my estimation, ~800 to ~1000 CF boards of one version or another have been made, and therefore--sold. Of these, I'd estimate that at least 75% of everyone who purchases ONE... attempts to or succeeds in ordering a SECOND (either at the same time, or later on). Even taking a generously "low" half of this number... it means around 300 to 400 people could benefit from having my CD#1 (and #2!!)

So anyhow... I thought all that info might be interesting to some of y'all... :D