PDA

View Full Version : Justification?

ComdtJustin
09-08-2009, 07:58 PM
Hey all,

A question arose in my mind a couple days ago when I was talking with the missus about the art of lightsaber-craft:

How do you guys justify all the lightsabers to your significant others? I keep raising the defense "Well, I could probably start selling some on ebay or sommat eventually..." but I think that will only last so long without action...

So how do you all explain yourselves?

Master Dai Bendu
09-08-2009, 08:03 PM
I worked my way up to a "pile" of lightsabers. Now "one more" dosen't stand out any more.

Until you reach that point. The "good deal" approach works ;)

Jasten Skywalker
09-08-2009, 08:09 PM
I try and point out all of the things I could be doing that are much worse than building lightsabers. For example: gambling on sports, hanging out in bars, playing video games all the time, etc.

She only brings up my lightsaber hobby when she's mad at me. She tells me, "go play with your toys." lol.

Btw, I have used the "I can sell them" line even though I never will.

cardcollector
09-08-2009, 08:36 PM
You could try to get her into it...

Designing things or doing an overlay, etc.

DarthHideous
09-09-2009, 01:40 AM
I agree with CC. The best way to get her interest is to design a saber just for her. Use her favorite colors, etc. It seems that wives want to find something that they can enjoy with their husbands. If you include her in saber making, you got her.

Invisas1979
09-09-2009, 05:23 AM
Hey all,

A question arose in my mind a couple days ago when I was talking with the missus about the art of lightsaber-craft:

How do you guys justify all the lightsabers to your significant others? I keep raising the defense "Well, I could probably start selling some on ebay or sommat eventually..." but I think that will only last so long without action...

So how do you all explain yourselves?

I agree with all comments, I'm currently building one for my GF so she can join in the fun. Hopefully she will succumb to the force before long.

Once I have done what I'm doing with my current projects I willstop for a while as i NEEEEEEEEED to save for a house. Her saber, My Maul conversion and then My true saber and I'm done...... for a while anyway.

Jasten Skywalker
09-09-2009, 05:37 AM
You could try to get her into it...

Designing things or doing an overlay, etc.

I have actually tried this. I was like, "Honey, we should design a lightsaber just for you. You can draw it up and we can build it together, or I could build it for you. Wouldn't that be fun?" To which she replied, "Only if that lightsaber is in the shape of a wedding ring." OUCH! lol.

She's sweet though. She tolerates my obsession. Although it comes with the price of her teasing me about it quite often. ;)

ComdtJustin
09-09-2009, 06:42 AM
Lol... Well, I may just have to try the "make a saber for you" technique.

Jasten, your girl's reply is priceless! Fortunately, mine can't say that since we're actually getting married on Saturday. Heheh..

Jasten Skywalker
09-09-2009, 07:05 AM
Haha! Congratulations! I think I may put together a lightsaber-shaped box to put the ring in for when I do propose. lol.

ArkaiHalon
09-09-2009, 07:34 AM
I justified it 5 times.

1. The "i'm spending the money on gambling/drugs/alcohol/other bad things"

2. They are an investment, I can sell them if need be

3. I sold one and made enough money to pay for another one and pay our electric bill.

4. got our son hooked

5. It's now a self funded hobby. If I want a new saber, I sell one to pay for it.

FenderBender
09-09-2009, 07:51 AM
Get a new Wife.

Just kidding:D Its a rare thing to find a partner that can share in all your interests. The best way to do it is to put out some effort in sharing something that she does, and then find a way to get her to share in the things that you do.

I am very fortunate to have found someone who is just as big a kid as me, and we share almost EVERY hobby interest. We still have things that the other doesn't get involved in (like music for me, she indulges my guitar addiction though;)) but for the most part we find things that we can do together, becuase THAT is what is important, being able to spend time together and do something that is rewarding to the relationship.

$tarkiller
09-09-2009, 07:57 AM
My girlfriend dosent have time to worry about my saber making, as she is too busy in the kitchen. ;):p:cool:

ComdtJustin
09-09-2009, 08:21 AM
Haha! Congratulations! I think I may put together a lightsaber-shaped box to put the ring in for when I do propose. lol.

Hahahahaha! That would be frickin awesome!

sekrogue1985
09-09-2009, 11:24 AM
mine just doesn't care. the hobby was a part of me before she met me and she never tried to change it. she monitor's my spend a bit just so i don't buy everything but that's to be expected. other than that she says as long as it makes you happy ya know.

DJMoonbass
09-09-2009, 11:58 AM
my mom says its just a money pit. true. but like alot of you said its a productive hobby that allows you to stretch your creative skills. something you cant do gambling, tv, or video Gs. so normally i just ignore my mom and keep spending. i even went as far as to get my own pre paid credit cards so i dont have to listen to my parents b**** at me for spending so much money on "toys".

plus this is good for my engineering career. :D

FenderBender
09-09-2009, 12:08 PM
All hobbies are money pits, thats why they're a hobby. All you get out of them is personal enjoyment.

DJMoonbass
09-09-2009, 12:13 PM
very true fender lol. but this is like the coolest hobby in the world. this makes paintball look boring. :D

DarthHideous
09-09-2009, 01:25 PM
very true fender lol. but this is like the coolest hobby in the world. this makes paintball look boring. :D

Besides, you don't waste money on all those paintballs that just get shot away.
When I played, I hated spending money on those balls and just wasting them.
I decided to switch hobbies.

BTW, I'm divorced now so my saber addiction is my own problem. No wife to get in the way, :lol:

strengthofrage
09-10-2009, 04:39 AM
I live alone in my house with my dog. He doesn't mind.

annon
09-10-2009, 07:25 AM
My girlfriend has never said anything, but the eye rolling is so intense that I worry that she might hurt her shelf. (:roll:)
Lately she has been strongly implying that we move in together and she's been giving my saber collection the stink eye; things could get ugly.

Jasten Skywalker
09-10-2009, 08:06 AM
My girlfriend has never said anything, but the eye rolling is so intense that I worry that she might hurt her shelf. (:roll:)
Lately she has been strongly implying that we move in together and she's been giving my saber collection the stink eye; things could get ugly.

Yeah, my girlfriend's eye rolling has been so severe in the past that I thought she was having a seizure. lol. She's been a relatively good sport about it. She even "gave" me my own "Star Wars" room in the house (aka- the guest room)when we bought the house together in April. lol. She jokes that if any of our overnight guests haven't seen Star Wars, they'd be an expert on the films by the time their visit with us was over.

We do plenty of things together, so she tolerates my obsession with Star Wars. The poor thing has had to watch the films with me at least once a month for almost 2 years! She gets me back though by making me watch episodes of Felicity when she's not feeling well. Ugh. She actually likes the OT but can't stand to watch the prequels. I am slowly brainwashing her and hope to one day get her to go as Leia, ala Jaba's sail barge, for Halloween. So far she has not been receptive to my Jedi Mind tricks. lol.

DarthHideous
09-11-2009, 01:13 PM
You know, our spouses have their own hobbies and collections that we learn to accept. What is the difference? Marriage is about compromise. Besides, it is healthy to have your own space and hobbies apart from each other. Otherwise things get very routine. If that argument doesn't work, just do that Vader choke move, jk.

$tarkiller
09-11-2009, 01:17 PM
I always say, if you love me, then you'll let me do this. Works well, too.

VeggieJedi
09-12-2009, 12:41 PM
this makes paintball look boring. :D

'Sabers are fun and all but it doesn't even compare to the adrenaline rush of paintball, i've been playing for about 3 years now and it's still as fun as ever!
Unless you were joking, I can't quite tell sometimes...:confused:

Besides, you don't waste money on all those paintballs that just get shot away.

Well, what else are you gonna do with 'em? hehe :D

As for justification: I don't drink/smoke/have a girlfriend/eat meat or fish, so this kinda makes up for the stuff I don't do:mrgreen: ... oh and paintball :D
I just don't tell my parents how much I spend hehe :cool:

Eco
09-12-2009, 01:33 PM
The first thing I did was build sabers for my girlfriend and two other friends after I got mine together.
My parents are behind me because I'm learning practical skills, and this hobby has actually pique'd my interest into getting an engineering degree, which my parents have been suggesting to me since I was in first grade.

I have to fund it all myself, but it's relatively harmless, as fart as hobbies go. (And awesome.)
Besides, as my in my sig, you can never stop playing. I'm 17 and starting my senior year in high school and I'm still not above getting out my old Legos when I'm bored! :D

If that argument doesn't work, just do that Vader choke move, jk.
Lol:D

VeggieJedi
09-12-2009, 01:45 PM
Besides, as my in my sig, you can never stop playing. I'm 17 and starting my senior year in high school and I'm still not above getting out my old Legos when I'm bored! :D

Hell yes man! Totally agree there and i'm 18! :D (of course only the Star Wars Lego is worth getting out heheh :D)

Jasten Skywalker
09-12-2009, 04:30 PM
I have to fund it all myself, but it's relatively harmless, as fart as hobbies go. (And awesome.)

I'm sorry, I know it's immature, but I lol'd when I read this. The Yuengling Porter probably helped a little too. ;-) Sorry, sorry. You may all carry on.

I fully agree with your sig btw.

Eco
09-12-2009, 04:38 PM
I'm sorry, I know it's immature, but I lol'd when I read this. The Yuengling Porter probably helped a little too. ;-) Sorry, sorry. You may all carry on.

I fully agree with your sig btw.

I saw it and laughed too.
I decided I liked it better if I left it. XD

cardcollector
09-12-2009, 08:01 PM

THANK YOU!!!!

It drives me crazy when guys look at me and are like "you still play with LEGOs???"

At least I don't rot my brains playing video games all day~~

sekrogue1985
09-12-2009, 08:43 PM
LEGOS...my parents still have mine by the tub full...you guys make me want to play with my legos...poosh it i'm gonna go get them!

my wife has hobbies thankfully they do not involve much money like mine do! so most of the well spare cash ends up in my pockets toward my nerdisms as she puts it.

psab keel
09-12-2009, 11:23 PM
There are several key things here:

1. You can build them together if it's an interest she shares.

2. If she has no interest in the hobby you can simply both agree that you each have your own hobbies, that satisfy one another's interests and goals.

3. If she doesn't get it, and wants you to sell them all then she is likely not a good match for you. (This being the extreme case of course.) Even if she isn't into it, she can understand that you are, and respects that it means something to you. Just as she expects that you can respect her need or desire to fulfill whatever hobbies she has. Regardless of whether or not it means anything to you, you offer your support to show her that you care about her. If she doesn't show the same respect for your need for a hobby then she is probably not someone you would want to get too serious with.

Basically it boils down to how healthy the relationship is. If you can't find common ground then is it really a relationship worth being in? You can share interests, but it's just important to each have your own interests as well.

Even if you tease one another about each other's hobbies, as long as there is that respect then everyone wins!

Amanita
09-13-2009, 11:37 AM
Here's what I don't get. If a girl pressures a guy to get rid of his sabers, paintball stuff, sports cards, or whatever else he enjoys, it's okay. She's "helping him grow up and get rid of that childish stuff" or some other BS. It's okay or even expected for a wife or girlfriend to act like some sort of surrogate "mother hen" in that regard.
But if a guy were to pressure a woman to pare down her massive shoe or handbag collection, then he would be percieved as some sort of mouth-breather who "doesn't get it". What gives? Is being obscessed with shoes or purses really THAT much more mature than saber building or other hobbies?

I remember one talk show, where a girl had just moved in with a guy. He had a whole room full of sports cards in boxes. She wanted space for her stuff. So one weekend while the guy was out, she sold his entire collection for a paltry sum- something like $250. A guy pulled up in a pickup truck and took the lot. Even if most of the cards in those boxes were worthless, I imagine there were enough good ones there that the $250 was only a small fraction of what they were worth. Most of the people on this talk show didn't see anything wrong with what this lady did, even though it was essentially theft- taking and disposing of the guy's property without permission. Not to mention a very hurtful and mean thing to do to one's S/O, going behind their back like that, or messing with something they care about.
Now, if the genders were reversed- a guy secretly selling his girlfriend's bloated shoe collection for pennies on the dollar for his own selfish reasons, I am sure that everyone on the show would have been calling for his crucifixion, saying that he was a controlling butthole who needed to be dumped and strung up at a crossroads.

FYI- I'm female. I don't "Get" other females who try to take away all of their boyfriend's fun hobbies and activities. I understand insisting that the guy pay his share of the bills before buying toys. I understand wanting the guy to contribute his fair share to looking after the house and family, and no, watching his own kids is not "babysitting". I believe that both sides should meet their responsibilities and pull their weight. But aside from that, what's wrong with some seperate interests and hobbies?
Now, if the guy was spending almost ALL of his time and money on sabers, paintball, etc, and was neglecting his SO, his family, or his other responsibilities, then I would see the girlfriend's point in telling him to cool it. But as long as a guy looks after his financial obligations, makes time to be with his SO or family, and generally pulls his weight, what's wrong with having some fun?

Shadar Al'Niende
09-13-2009, 05:20 PM
@ Amanita:

Couldn't have said it better myself... I dare say a standing ovation is in order lol

ComdtJustin
09-14-2009, 06:53 AM
Agreed! *stands and claps*

Amanita
09-14-2009, 12:36 PM
The other thing I was thinking last night while talking about this with another lady who thinks like I do- that line of thinking I mentioned, where it's okay or expected for a girl to nag a guy and generally take his fun things away, that's downright insulting to BOTH genders!

It's insulting to men- it implies that men are irresponsible Peter Pan types who just don't wanna grow up, and have to be pushed or forced to give up their fun and become "real men" for their own good. It's also demeaning to women- It forces us ladies into the role of disciplinarian, killjoy, wet blanket, and nag. It places a massive burden on us- that those men will just never grow up and leave never-neverland unless WE make them. The burden of making men grow up is now all on us, never mind the guy taking responsibility for himself.
To heck with being loving partners, consorts or collaboraters. We women are supposed to be disciplinarians and mother hens instead.
To heck with that!
If I wanted to be a "Mom", I would have had kids.